BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    Chaplain

Just realise that they are not naked that is body stockings and paintwork....
    "Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver"

That was probably my fault, I said it had to be flexible enough for me to do gymnastics in it, to replicate teh fluff which has them in highly flexible armour cartwheeling into battle and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    No wonder it was expensive. Dragonskin is a platinum cure silicone RTV made for molds and FX use. It's about $184 for a 16 lb kit. Not sure why he wanted to use it for armor plates though, it's fairly soft and flexible. I would use a harder urethane rubber.

A good quality fiberglass product will have a thin layer of what they call a gel coat over the structural part. The gel coat is a mix of resin, a filler and sometimes pigment and creates a cosmetic surface layer. Most of the time it is polished after casting but could be left slightly uneven (from the mold release) or with the right mold you could add a surface texture. Most people use a smooth surface because it is easier and far cheaper. Toe get a surface texture you would generally need an RTV mold and the master would have to be perfect since any flaws would be reproduced. Both factors add a lot to cost.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I have no interest in Cosplay per se, and even less in LARP. A RPG character profile reflects what that character does. The reality is that a quivering pile of fat squeezed into faux-leather with a chainmail coif suffocating them, could not take me out even if his character was the Blood God himself.

However I have a lot of respect for people who make the time and effort to carry out constructing a good costume. I have less repsect (but there is some) for the crappier efforts out there).

One element of Cosplay that pees me off is those 501st chaps. Happy with the costumes, ecstatic with the 'its for chariddy mate' piece. What I find frustrating is that they will not on their website give links or discuss what and where the best armour is supposedly due to it being a lucasfilm copyright. Seems to be quibbling to me.

I would love an awesome suit of stormtrooper armour but guessing that what you purchase on ebay will be de rigeur is hard.

Still at least my Panzer Captain's Blacks with Iron Cross and Panzer Assault Badge are kosher (so to speak).
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

Cosplay - cool

40k cosplay - very cool

An Inquisitor singing within temptation - priceless

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Not sure how he does sizing, it could semi custom fit.

Cost is the real problem, IIRC about $3k for a suit.
    Hmmm I can see how this would play out at home

" well kids the holiday is cancelled this year because your father has spent our holiday fund on a master chief set of armour" "no your dad can't wear it because it won't fit" " oh and he is moving out too"

Yeah I best stick to the little action figure I have on my shelf
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Brother-Captain

<* Looks around, anxiously *>

I'm sorry, did I somehow get misdirected to Warseer?

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Even if EG turned out to be a 30 stone trucker called Bob with a beard a grizzly would be proud of, he/she would still be far wittier than you.
    Ok, now THAT's funny. You don't mind if we call you "Bob" from now on, do you Bob? (JK)

Quote Originally Posted by Verilance View Post
    cosplay is serious business for those who are into it
    Indeed it is. There are some cosplayers make a living at it, as models for game illustrators and graphic novel artists.

I've been told I have an excellent Emperor Palpatine costume. 'Kinda pisses me off, though, since I've never once dressed up.

Actually, if my wife would let me, I would SSSOOOO love to play around with making my own Storm Trooper and/or Mandalorian armor (see [url]http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/stormtrooper/index.html[/url]), mostly because I'm a tinkerer and the process completely intrigues me.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Brother-Captain

I forgot to add ... I was showing these videos to my three year old daughter, and she said the costumes were cool. She even identified the Voystroyans as "shooty guys."

<* Sniffle, Snort *> I'M SO PROUD!!!

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    I forgot to add ... I was showing these videos to my three year old daughter, and she said the costumes were cool. She even identified the Voystroyans as "shooty guys."

<* Sniffle, Snort *> I'M SO PROUD!!!
    spoken like a true Parent, my son got me back into gaming after many years of not by showing an interest in WFB and 40K

true he likes the Tyranids only because they remind him of the Zerg but whatever it takes ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    One element of Cosplay that pees me off is those 501st chaps. Happy with the costumes, ecstatic with the 'its for chariddy mate' piece. What I find frustrating is that they will not on their website give links or discuss what and where the best armour is supposedly due to it being a lucasfilm copyright. Seems to be quibbling to me.
    It might be quibbling, but the hard costumes (stormtroopers, Mandalorians, etc.) are a Lucasfilm copyright, and I think you could make an argument that even the soft costumes violate Lucasfilm copyright. Obviously Lucasfilm is okay with a certain level of activity from the 501st, but I wouldn't be surprised if at some point Lucasfilm's legal department had told them not to do certain things. The whole arrangement boils down to "We choose not to exercise our rights for now" on Lucasfilm's part, so if the 501st has to quibble to keep doing what they're doing, I say fine with that.

EDIT: I'm not a cosplayer, but I am married to a costume designer, and I have to say that I admire the completeness of cosplay. I like and admire the fact that the cosplay ethos extends not just to costumes but also to props, makeup, hair, carriage, and physical fitness. I see on a daily basis how much work goes into a good theatrical costume, or worse, a good historical reproduction, and I have nothing but respect for those for whom mastering costume construction is only the beginning. Granted, not many cosplayers are masters of the whole hobby, but that's true of all hobbies.

The "nerdiness" of cosplay is not something that bothers me. I don't feel the need to defend my hobby's coolness, for one thing, but more importantly, who am I to tell people what's cool and what's not? And even more importantly, who am I to feel my own coolness is threatened by what other people enjoy?
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 06-20-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Hehe, every time someone says 'Bob' I imagine Rowan Atkinson saying it a la Blackadder the Second.

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    Ok, now THAT's funny. You don't mind if we call you "Bob" from now on, do you Bob? (JK)
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast