BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Kovnik the wit we are talking about is of course, humour. Try this, may help you understand English better.

[url]http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wit[/url]

About everything in your post seems to me to be as far from intellectual brilliance as possible because it runs off several assumptions - the only thing you posit that is true is you correctly assess your post count doesn't lend you any gravitas - far from it if you think EG has low self esteem why are you pointing this out to her - are you some sort of psycho that likes to make low people lower or are you just inconsiderate?
    So you criticize the conclusions of my observations, only to then criticize my character in formulating said observations, in the event that they are right? Theres a sophism in there, but its quite a refined one, congratulations.

Assumptions? Like you assumed the lack of wit in my post was a negative factor? I voiced a negative opinion of the few interactions I've had with a person over the internet. I was not aware I had the obligation to insert humour in it. That would've been bad taste.

Also, you assume that my voicing of said opinion will not, in fact, lead her to reevaluate her character and, like you said, 'bring a low person higher'. Since you have such a negative outlook on life, I would posit that YOU are in fact the 'some sort of psycho'.

Quote Originally Posted by C.of.N.finity View Post
    I would like to ask, in your opinion, where is the line at in terms of wither cosplay is actually appropriate at a convention or not?
    my personal opinion

If people pay the freight and are not overtly (or otherwise) offensive they can wear whatever they
    please.

in terms of the previous (and rather pointless) discussion. I think we can safely say not everyone here understands or appreciates "British" humour.

then again not everyone here appreciates cosplay either
    Last edited by Verilance; 06-18-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Battle-Brother

OK this is kind of disheartening here. This thread about cosplayer's has devolved into children bickering. And over what? A woman showing off that she's a woman. This shouldn't bother anyone really. If it did oh well, please move on and don't pollute the forums with needless bickering. Bravo to those supporting her, a tip of the hat those who are exercising their right to speak against her. But this has just gone too far, especially with EG not even being on to defend herself. Shouldn't someone who has been spoken down to get the chance to defend themself? And to pick out a point that irked me earlier. It was said that "I'll just relieve myself on your chest, just don't look".....WTF?!?! How in god's name is a picture and a work on an internet page, that you have the ability to close mind you, the same as some person taking a sh*t on your chest?! I just can't fathom how that is even remotly alike.

Now to contribute to the actual topic as I like it and think that its neat: I love the idea of people cosplaying. I went to an anime convention a couple years back and there was a fellow dressed as an Ork (proper spelling for 40k?). Made me laugh and my friend grabbed a picture with him, was good times....ok point being. If you want to cosplay go for it, you only get one shot at life on this ball of crap we call earth if cosplaying makes you happy F everyone else and do it. If your outfit rocks we'll all enjoy it, if it doesn't oh well at least you're having fun right?

EDIT: seems we got back on track slightly. If my opinion up top attempts at derailing it more I'm sorry. Just needed to voice the dissapointment of the forum, all of the topics and responses have been respectable lately, but this is kind of a blemish on that. Or maybe my migrane has left me unable to tolerate bullsh*t who knows
    Last edited by shadosun; 06-18-2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Voicing concern over post

Chaplain

I would like to ask, in your opinion, where is the line at in terms of wither cosplay is actually appropriate at a convention or not?
    I think as long as it dosnt break health and safety laws, or detract from the innocence of small children i think we are fine. I also think that the innocence of small children should be a good benchmark even if there wont be small children around.

Apart from that, I think anything goes at a convention. I would even be happy if a friend had a suit of space marine armour like that for them to wear it out in public with me. I would actually be a bit embarrassed, but if they have the guts to wear it, well If Im their friend I would be happy to walk around town with them.

What was awkward however was when some female friends of mine were advertising for the local theatre in costume (Aladdin I think) and came into the pub i was a manager of in oriental dress. Couldn't really do anything to stop the lager drinking football(soccer) fans from ripping it out of them verbally.

So yeah, at a convention, I think it should be encouraged. Its the only place its really acceptable, and can be embraced. And when I went to Comicon it did really make the day. Loads of amazing costumes (I admit i didnt know what all of them were) but with the Star Wars online game coming up, loads and loads of custom sith, so it was great to see peoples creativity. It was also great to see a sith buy a pink lightsabre because he thought it was red, and had tinted glass in his costumes helmet.

Librarian

Which 'point'?
    this one.

that someone that insists they are female three times in every single post might be trying too hard
    do you perhaps think she might be doing this deliberately, because of this exact reason?

No, quite frankly, it wasn't funny at all. There was no humor there, nor was there any laughter. It was a comment meant to draw sexual attention on a forum dominated by men, and as proof, the replies weren't filled with "lols, U so Funny!" but "pictures pictures pictures". I mean, this is getting dragged on further than it needs to be. The critique had merit, stop defending the boobies and move on.
    No it wasn't designed to draw sexual attention and your "proof" is simply people with the same sense of humor having a laugh and calling Eldargal's bluff.

Your ability to say so much yet, at the same time, so little is astounding. Find another victim troll, this ones over it.
    Hahahahaha...... Realy? go look in a mirror, you have only been here a few weeks and have already started several arguments and pissed people off.

Apologies for going of topic again.
    Last edited by Morgan Darkstar; 06-18-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

".....WTF?!?! How in god's name is a picture and a work on an internet page, that you have the ability to close mind you, the same as some person taking a sh*t on your chest?! I just can't fathom how that is even remotly alike.
    I don't want to derail further. I disagree with everything you've said, but that's niether here nor there (nor do you probably care, understandably). I would like to, out of respect, explain what I said.

The idea that a person has to declare no less than three times per post so people identify her gender is so base that I find it horribly offensive. Even more so that it's related to a forum where gender isn't even an issue. It's the equivalint to someone chick walking in our game store dressed like a hooker simply so guys will look at her - get your feminine attention somewhere else. Sure, you have that right. Sure, you can be proud your a woman. But if thats really the epitome of what your proud of, something so simple as how you were born, something you had absolutly no part in actually achieving, then I find it offensive in how someone can be so...for lack of a better term, stupid. That's like being proud that of the amount of air that you breath, it's just inane and pointless and if someone was proud of something like that I wouldn't be the only one that would judge their lack of character (among other things).

That comment, specifically, was writen in order to achieve a point you missed becuase you were too busy being offended by the content...I guess my American humor doesn't translate well to Brits. Bassicly, the comment that "if you don't like it, ignore it" is a silly one especially on a forum that, by deifnition, is a gathering place for public discussion. I agree it was profane and not the least bit appealing to think about, but it said in such a way to drive the point home to those that gave it the thought - that just becuase you turn a blind eye towards something doesn't mean it isn't any less nagative for existing in the first place.

".....WTF?!?! How in god's name is a picture and a work on an internet page, that you have the ability to close mind you, the same as some person taking a sh*t on your chest?! I just can't fathom how that is even remotly alike.
    I don't want to derail further. I disagree with everything you've said, but that's niether here nor there (nor do you probably care, understandably). I would like to, out of respect, explain what I said.

The idea that a person has to declare no less than three times per post so people identify her gender is so base that I find it horribly offensive. Even more so that it's related to a forum where gender isn't even an issue. It's the equivalint to someone chick walking in our game store dressed like a hooker simply so guys will look at her - get your feminine attention somewhere else. Sure, you have that right. Sure, you can be proud your a woman. But if thats really the epitome of what your proud of, something so simple as how you were born, something you had absolutly no part in actually achieving, then I find it offensive in how someone can be so...for lack of a better term, stupid. That's like being proud that of the amount of air that you breath, it's just inane and pointless and if someone was proud of something like that I wouldn't be the only one that would judge their lack of character (among other things).

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Darkstar View Post
    do you perhaps think she might be doing this deliberately, because of this exact reason?
    Who cares, in my opinion it's pathetic either way becuase it results in the same thing.

No it wasn't designed to draw sexual attention and your "proof" is simply people with the same sense of humor having a laugh and calling Eldargal's bluff.
    And my comments are also designed to call her bluff. You don't find it funny?

Hahahahaha...... Realy? go look in a mirror, you have only been here a few weeks and have already started several arguments and pissed people off.
    Your point? Troll be Trollin', it's ok for you to call me out but if I insult him I get jumped on? Sure must be nice to have those onconditional friends.
    Last edited by C.of.N.finity; 06-18-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Battle-Brother

That comment, specifically, was writen in order to achieve a point you missed becuase you were too busy being offended by the content...I guess my American humor doesn't translate well to Brits. Bassicly, the comment that "if you don't like it, ignore it" is a silly one especially on a forum that, by deifnition, is a gathering place for public discussion. I agree it was profane and not the least bit appealing to think about, but it said in such a way to drive the point home to those that gave it the thought - that just becuase you turn a blind eye towards something doesn't mean it isn't any less nagative for existing in the first place.
    I would like to note at first is that I am not british. I am american, proud of it, and am currently deployed serving our great country so you can spout half respectful crap. I was understanding your standpoint and was going to compliment you on your respectful response and that I can understand where you are coming from with that response. But then you accuse me of twisting your words because it achieves my goal. I said no such thing. You stated what you stated. If you are that revolted at her stating that she's a woman, and that this is a public area, then fine, do it in a way that doesn't suggest someone is taking a sh*t on your chest.

NOTE: I'm not saying I dislike british people. I think everyone from every country is equal, I am just proud of where I come from, and dislike ignorant people assuming things.

Librarian

I don't want to derail further.
    Yes you do, and you have.
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

I'm a half baked insulter if you like. Thats better in my book than being a nitpicker biatchy little critic.
    Weird. You say this, and yet you don't die from epistemological failure? I guess logic engines quality requirements aren't the same in the Old World...

assuming anyone here still remembers that the discussion is about cosplay

I think the costumes were very well done, I loved the Sisters and the inquisitor but all in all they were all very good.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast