BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Espn and 40k

Talking Espn and 40k

It was a few years ago, but I saw Scrabble being played on ESPN. SCRABBLE.
    Now, it might have been ESPN 3, but if something as boring as Golf can be on ESPN, and even Scrabble, why not war gaming? 40k is the big boy, so it lends itself. And come on, when was the last time anyone saw a football game that didn't have a billion cartoon graphics and overlays and just showed people playing?

No really. Pre-game showing off the board. Player intros and bios, model spotlight [My best painted item is...].
    The game could have those same graphic squiggles and overlays and whatnot. What say you?

I'd watch it, and I think a lot of others would too; I also think there could not be a better draw to get more folks into the game.

Live commentators could provide fluff backgrounds on independent pieces, stats for unit vs unit, even battle fluff bits if the battle was part of an overall themed campaign - which they ought to be...

It wouldn't last more than a month.

why? no one wants to watch a turn take a half hour.

Sure there are games like snooker, golf and tennis on ESPN. but the difference between those games and 40k is they are a lot more fast paced, and consequently you see a lot more turns in the same amount of time.

and no one I know (from the uber nerd to jock) wants to watch an announcer drone on about a single painted miniature unless they're into that sort of thing.

So the only people watching 40k on tv is people who play 40k. not a big enough audience to make it viable. And for that, they go to youtube.

Chaplain

Counts-as, proxies, unpainted armies/units, and models falling over would ruin the show. Maybe on YouTube, but not on ESPN.
    "What scares us is I think we needed violence."
    http://reddragons40k.blogspot.com/

The main issue with 40K is how long it takes to play. With sporting events, ESPN can broadcast them on the cheap because they require no editing; they simply turn the cameras on and point them at the action. A televised 40K series would work wonderfully as a web-series due to the time it takes to play a game.

Chapter-Master

With broken, barely workable rules, 40k would make for a terrible sport.

I guess that would mean 40K COULD appear on The Ocho.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    With broken, barely workable rules, 40k would make for a terrible sport.

I guess that would mean 40K COULD appear on The Ocho.
    40K would make just as good a spectator event as things like competitive gaming. Almost all games are inherently unbalanced, heck even classic sports like Baseball are unbalanced with teams like the Yankees and Red Sox able to "stack the deck" by buying away most of the talent from other teams. For all of the obvious balance issues between codices in 40K, there are so many layers to the strategy from list building to deployment and decision making that spectating 40K can be quite enjoyable. There is a reason that recording battle reports has become so popular on youtube.

Chapter-Master

It would deffinitely be nice to see battlereports presented in this kind of way. It wouldn't be impossible to show graphics showing ranges for unit's movement, shooting/running and assault especially if they could show overlapping fields of fire, as well as the stat lines for units in play (particularly for units in assault). Indepepndant comentary would also be pretty cool to help explain the tactics and possibilities availible to the players. I even like the idea of player interviews, spotlights on convertions and characters in the armies and the lists being used. This kind of coverage would be great for beginners to help them learn what works and what doesn't, and great for Vet's alike as those of use not lucky enough to get to the top tables in tournaments would get to see how the players who win do it.

Unfortunately I agree with most of the other posters; its just too slow paced for TV. Although we all love to play, have you ever watched a game you aren't at all involved in? To broadcast live would be pretty unlikely, especially for any game involving horde lists... but you could pre-record and show the uninteresting bits at double speed, returning to real-time for tactically significant movements, shooting and assaults. This would also have the effect of making turns last more similar lengths of time, with the first turns being sped up a lot while the last turns, where there are fewer models and each decision is more likely to affect the outcome of the battle, tend to be shown as they are played. Again, this makes these kind of battlereports better for the internet rather TV. If it was going to be televised, you would need to only show completed armies; fully painted, no proxies, everything WYSYWIG. Count-as armies would be fine, so long as they still conform to the above.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Aw, I thought this was about electro plated nickel silver, stupid brain re-arranging words.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

At one time, I vaguely remember the Magic:TG world championships being broadcast.

Maybe if it were produced (not live) like a battle report, with cuts, graphics on screen showing where things moved, etc. it could be interesting. But probably not worthy of the air time or, more importantly, the advertiser's dollars.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast