BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: 6th ed rumors

Battle-Brother

But what was the problem with Victory points? you had to make maths for three minutes after having played a game for TWO HOURS??? Kill points are not fair, if some units are more expensive than others when you begin playing, it is not logical to make them worth the same once the game is finished. And it doesn't matter if I choose VP or KP, I always loose everygame with my Tau army. It is a matter that every single unit isn't worth the points i pay, as i am paying for rules that, as the last FAQ said you have to "just ignore" them, but they existed when the points were calculated. So victory points achieved by my partner is higher. Why FAQ about old codex don't change values of units acordingly?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Darkstar View Post
    Almost no chance of winning? BS! what armies are you referring to? tyranids, necrons? tau?

I have won with these armies in KP games.

Just as i have lost with space marines & space wolves.

People who whine about how one army has an advantage over another have lost sight of the point of the game.

disadvantages and overcoming them are part of the fun, stop seeing them as a bad thing.

And, while you might argue that some armies are better at killpoints than others, you inherently argue that those same armies are weaker at objective games because they likely have fewer scoring units. And since 2/3 of the missions are objectives...
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

One of the big arguments people seem to use against KP is that "You can kill more of an enemy, but because I have more units I lose!"

Same can be said about objectives. You could kill an enitre 2000 point army down to a sinlge Ork and still liose if hes on an objective and you're not.

Its about playing the game!
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Brother-Captain

My biggest problem with KP is that it discourages people from using units that are fragile and cheap, like Tau gun drone units or piranhas.

I run 'em anyway because they are fun, but my 2000 point Tau list is something like 28 KP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerra View Post
    My biggest problem with KP is that it discourages people from using units that are fragile and cheap, like Tau gun drone units or piranhas.

I run 'em anyway because they are fun, but my 2000 point Tau list is something like 28 KP.
    I don't think it discourages Fragile or cheap units. It discourages people from using them as cheap throw-away suicide units.

Fragile Units allot of times still carry about impotent roles in making a army function. You just have to be more carefully with them. (As I can imagine you can speak 1st hand for, being that you enjoy using such units.)
    Last edited by Lockark; 10-07-2011 at 03:58 PM.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lockark View Post
    I don't think it discourages Fragile or cheap units. It discourages people from using them as cheap throw-away suicide units.
    So what else do you use cheap units for if not as throw away suicide units? I can't think of any cheap units which serve a purpose other than being flung headlong at the enemy. The only reason units like ripper swarms exist as as living roadblocks, they serve no purpose other than to die. Why on earth should I be discouraged from using them for their expressly designed purpose?
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    So what else do you use cheap units for if not as throw away suicide units? I can't think of any cheap units which serve a purpose other than being flung headlong at the enemy. The only reason units like ripper swarms exist as as living roadblocks, they serve no purpose other than to die. Why on earth should I be discouraged from using them for their expressly designed purpose?
    They can be useful in other ways.
    A 10 man unit of grots is a cheap way hold a backfield objective, or can be placed in a battlewagon to make it scoring after its main payload of boyz has been dropped off.

3 man units of guardian jetbikes aren't very effective on their own, but with turboboost, they make great late game objective grabbers/deniers.
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Paladin View Post
    They can be useful in other ways.
    A 10 man unit of grots is a cheap way hold a backfield objective, or can be placed in a battlewagon to make it scoring after its main payload of boyz has been dropped off.

3 man units of guardian jetbikes aren't very effective on their own, but with turboboost, they make great late game objective grabbers/deniers.
    Yah. That's the kinda things I'm talking about.

Then in Killpoints you use thows 3 man jetbike squads to chase down thows 1 man left space marine squads, that your opponent will try to hide in the back field to denied you kill points for example.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Chapter-Master

For orks that is fine but what about Nids? If I want to leave my small cheap units to hang back for objectie grabbing, then I have to babysit them with a much more expensive synapse creature. My ripper swarms literally start eating themselves if I don't. And adding a synapse creature suddenly stops them being cheap throw away units. Yes it's ok if I'm playing objective games, that the whole point, but I have a one in three chance of geting punished for having an army list filled with many cheap, easy to kill troops that I had to select in case an objective game came up.

My point is, VP's were fair and worked, why get rid of them in favour of system that hampers some armies?
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    My point is, VP's were fair...
    Except that some armies were very good at playing the VP denial game; which made it unfair.

Good luck beating a a good Necron player that had two maxed units of Warriors, a lord with Res. orb, and 3 monoliths.
    Or a well built mechdar army; with those unkillable falcons and wave serpents, safely hiding the most expensive units possible.
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast