BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

It's a decent list, but 6 Chimeras and 30 infantry models is hardly survivable, especially against other shooty armies (properly built IG and SW, for example). I guess it just depends on who goes first in that kind of match up.

It's definitely a rock-paper-scissors list... It will do very well against some lists and lose horribly to others.

Chapter-Master

I thought the pretty much agreed upon thought was that 3 monkies was the sweet spot, so that you don't get stuck in the '6 roll loop.'

Quote Originally Posted by Demonus View Post
    coteaz unit gets 5 shots at my drop pod that is within 12 inches of him right? assuming you wreck the drop pod, I now have possibly 10 stern guard with combi meltas and a cover save to deal with his chimera.

not to mention the drop pods that land 13 inches away with multi melta dreadnoughts that he cannot shoot down.

im sure the monkey list might work if you turtle in the corner of your board, but chances are, it wont.

3 monoliths lobbing their str 9 ordinance at you grouped up, ignoring your multlasers, laughing at your multimeltas, and fearing only you rolling double sixes on your lascannons, while my horde of necon warriors glance you to death (remember, if your vehicle is shaken, your monkeys cant shoot unless they get out...and if they get out, they cant shoot heavy weapons...)
    FAQ states he directs shooting at the Drop pod and the people inside (cant remember if this is a second roung of shooting, or just part of a single round)
    [I][I] =][= "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse” =][=

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    I thought the pretty much agreed upon thought was that 3 monkies was the sweet spot, so that you don't get stuck in the '6 roll loop.'
    I thought after you get a 6 the next two rolls ignore 1's and 6's and don't get a bonus added anymore for extra monkeys.

I have only seen the codex once though so there is a good chance I am wrong about that.

Brother-Sergeant

MEQ in cover would have no problem with this list

Yeah, the rules nor faq say anything about ignoring 1's and 6's, it's designed to prevent what your intending. Also, corteaz's power only affects units DS within 12" of him, not every model on the board. And Servoskulls don't hinder an enemies deep strike at all, just help yours. In fact, an enemy unit arriving by deep strike within 6" of a servoskull will destroy it.

Your list is good only in theory, it would break apart on the table against a competent player.

Chapter-Master

I can't believe someone actually thought that was a good list.

First off, the list is completely immobile. You can only pivot if you want to shoot the guys inside (excluding their heavy flamer). The only "scary" thing this list can do is drive-by flamer someone, but if your opponent leaves enough of your guys alive to let you do that multiple times they deserve to lose.

Second off, 29 lascannons is not scary. Between BS3 and 4+ cover, you're not doing very much damage against either vehicles or infantry.

Any good army will have enough firepower to destroy 6 Chimeras in a couple of turns. Then you have 30 guys with 5+ armor. They won't last long.

And Coteaz isn't helping this list much, either. Coteaz is awesome, but just because he can shoot deepstrikers doesn't help anything. Your opponent just won't deepstrike within 12" of Coteaz. He'll still be able to hit most of your army, since it's really hard to fit 6 Chimeras in a 12" circle and still have room to target your opponent. They'll just deepstrike where coteaz isn't.

And if you turtle in a corner to maximize Coteaz's coverage, then you'll be stuck in that corner for the rest of the game due to your immobility. In objective games you will pray for a tie, and in killpoints you'll probably still do poorly because of how fragile your list is.

You don't have the firepower to outshoot your opponent, you don't have the mobility to pick your fights, and you don't have the durability to outlast your opponent.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

Didnt they fix the monkey spam thing with the FAQ? So that if you have multiple monkeys it works against you? Or did I read that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Thornblood View Post
    Didnt they fix the monkey spam thing with the FAQ? So that if you have multiple monkeys it works against you? Or did I read that wrong?
    They didn't so much 'fix' it as it as never broken, they just brought it to everyones attention with the FAQ.

Librarian

I looked into this, and for what it's worth I think that monkeyspam could be fun, but you can't JUST do monkeyspam. You have to back your monkeys with units that can actually deal with the rest of your opponent's army.

Here's an alternative:

Coteaz

4 Weaponsmiths, 8 Warriors w/ Stormbolters in a Chimera (251 points)

4 Death Cult Assassins, 4 Crusaders, Techmarine (psychotroke grenades, Nemesis Halberd), Land Raider Redeemer (Psybolt Ammo) 395

Coteaz goes into the Land raider. You now have 16 Jokaero, backed by stormbolters and ablative wounds, and lead by a close combat monster (DCAs and TM will attack at S6 I6 w/ power weapons and Psyk grenades, Crusaders at S5 I3)

Upping this to 1850 is easy: Take a Grand Master, give the Land Raider scout. Position your land raider off to the side of your Chimeras, after deployment scout it in front of your Chimeras and pop smoke. Congrats, it is now nearly impossible for your opponent to harm either.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast