BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: How much money you spend on GW?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing

0 0%
  • $1-$50 per year at a GW store or B&M store

2 4.00%
  • $51-$250 per year at a GW store or B&M store

12 24.00%
  • $251-$500 per year at a GW store or B&M store

5 10.00%
  • $500+ per year at a GW store or B&M store

14 28.00%
  • $1-$50 at discount stores or sites

1 2.00%
  • $51-$250 at discount stores or sites

1 2.00%
  • $251-$500 at discount stores or sites

3 6.00%
  • $500 at discount stores or sites

9 18.00%
  • Other please list below

3 6.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    I don't know...It's really not that much.

Get season tickets to a football team in the US. There you're looking at ~$200 a month in tickets alone, completely leaving out food and drink at the staduim.

Go on a date to a show at the theatre once a month, and go to a nice dinner before/after. That single night is easily $200.

I think you'd get much more telling results if you did it on a monthly basis.
    I like quarterly...

But I usually spend around 50$ a month on 'game' stuff (board games, hobby stuff, a blister ect), and almost quarterly I usually make 1 'bigger' purchase.

Most of that USED to go to gw.

in fact it may be more telling to ask what do you spend 'monthly/quarter/annually on your hobbies!'
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Abbess Sanctorum

At the moment, ~1-50, as I'm too poor to really dedicate money on plastic soldiers.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Brother-Captain

I don't know...It's really not that much.

Get season tickets to a football team in the US. There you're looking at ~$200 a month in tickets alone, completely leaving out food and drink at the staduim.

Go on a date to a show at the theatre once a month, and go to a nice dinner before/after. That single night is easily $200.

I think you'd get much more telling results if you did it on a monthly basis.
    That's the thing. I've heard people compare 40K to their scuba diving hobbies, their skydiving hobbies, and what have you. Except (for me at least) these activities aren't even in the same league. I paint miniatures because I enjoy painting. I play wargames to socialize, but mostly to kill time. 40K simply allows me to kill two birds with one stone (or would that be rip apart two heretics on one rack). I'll easily blow a few grand on something I am truly passionate about, but for me 40K simply is not it. In fact, I routinely spend much more on miniatures other than Citadel's, because they intrigue me more. That's why, for me, I'm only in the $250+ range.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    That's the thing. I've heard people compare 40K to their scuba diving hobbies, their skydiving hobbies, and what have you. Except (for me at least) these activities aren't even in the same league. I paint miniatures because I enjoy painting. I play wargames to socialize, but mostly to kill time. 40K simply allows me to kill two birds with one stone (or would that be rip apart two heretics on one rack). I'll easily blow a few grand on something I am truly passionate about, but for me 40K simply is not it. In fact, I routinely spend much more on miniatures other than Citadel's, because they intrigue me more. That's why, for me, I'm only in the $250+ range.
    I disagree. I think the thing that needs to be remembered is that ALL of these things are items/events bought with ‘discresionary funds’ IE not food, rent or bills money. To me its kind of like paying for having cable, going out to the movies or a bar; none of it is stuff I MUST do, or continue to buy/pay for in my day to day life. So it all kind of falls under ‘luxury’ to me. So skydiving/golf/scuba = luxury. Cable, war gaming, hobby stuff = luxury.
    Last edited by Lord Azaghul; 06-22-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Chapter-Master

I think that's a fair point (and we're in the same ballpark as killing two birds with one stone, BTW), but you have to consider that it is a hobby, just like scuba diving or sailing. Granted, something like sailing is a hobby most generally associated with the particularly affluent, it still remains a hobby.

I also don't discriminate when it comes to purchasing miniatures. I buy what I like the look of. Lately I've been snatching up old C3 Kelt Sessairs. Love em.

As other hobbies go... my others are more or less free. I play rugby on a men's Club team. I have to pay my dues every year ($110) for refs, etc., and I buy a new pair of boots every year. But beyond that, it's cheap, especially since we're sponsored and all our post game booze is free. Same with going to the gym. $40 a month isn't really much at all.

Iron Father

I think that's a fair point (and we're in the same ballpark as killing two birds with one stone, BTW), but you have to consider that it is a hobby, just like scuba diving or sailing. Granted, something like sailing is a hobby most generally associated with the particularly affluent, it still remains a hobby.

I also don't discriminate when it comes to purchasing miniatures. I buy what I like the look of. Lately I've been snatching up old C3 Kelt Sessairs. Love em.

As other hobbies go... my others are more or less free. I play rugby on a men's Club team. I have to pay my dues every year ($110) for refs, etc., and I buy a new pair of boots every year. But beyond that, it's cheap, especially since we're sponsored and all our post game booze is free. Same with going to the gym. $40 a month isn't really much at all.

Which position you play and what style, rugby league or union mate
    Sorry to hijack but as soon as ruggers mentioned lol. Me I played loose head prop for my town and have the ear to prove it.

Back on subject. It would be interesting to see for those who have kids, do you spend more on your hobby, or on theirs ?
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    Which position you play and what style, rugby league or union mate
    Sorry to hijack but as soon as ruggers mentioned lol. Me I played loose head prop for my town and have the ear to prove it.

Back on subject. It would be interesting to see for those who have kids, do you spend more on your hobby, or on theirs ?
    Same thing! I Think the style in the US is Rugby League; truth be told I'm not entirely sure. I had my cauliflower ear from wrestling; loose head has just made it worse . Can't wait for the cup to start.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post

Generally a strong corrilation to spending there!

I have no kids. But I don't spend nearly as much as the guys don't have a mortgage and aren't married!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Azaghul View Post
    Generally a strong corrilation to spending there! I have no kids. But I don't spend nearly as much as the guys don't have a mortgage and aren't married!
    Im married and have a house payment with my other hobbies and sports like Boxing I spend about 100$ or less. But my army is about 30,000 points from 15+ years of collacting.

I spent about 150 on supplies from my local hobby store for casting my own copies last year and about another 100 on a codex + plus models from the used bin from the not so local FLGS.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast