BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

My buddy got the Azhag the Slaughterer, and it looks fantastic. It's a model he had no plans on getting in metal, but with the resin it makes assembly a ton easier. He had a mispack (again, as I've noted multiple times, these are unacceptable) but they replaced the missing piece (with a whole kit) in 3 days.

I imagine the Carnasaur model will benefit greatly from the finecast, as well. It's really hard to balance as a metal piece.

Anyways, I'll see if I can get pictures of it up here.

@Deadlift Two places to also look for nicely priced resin kits that work with 40k/Fantasy: Banelords & Raging Heroes. They have some really great kits, and they're all reasonably priced!

My brothers metal Carnosaur is named Head First Henry.

Finecast.

Quality Control.

Two seperate things. These problems can and did happen with metal models, that didn;t make metal bad. The problem with Finecast isn't Finecast, it is just that GW have done a very poor job ensuring poor casts don't leave the factory. I heard from one of my sources that a lot of bins of rejected casts were accidentally sent to be packaged off, hence the problems. But I'm not sure I believe that, it just seems a bit unlikely. One assumes the reject bins are well labelled.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Wittdooley, please, stop flaming with Melissia!!!

We have a popular sentence in spanish: don´t discuss with an idiot, you´ll go at his level and in there, the idiot has more experience...
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

Chapter-Master

I know! I'm trying! It's so hard!

Personally the only problem I have with Finecast can be said of ANY resin casting and that is the fragility of the little bits.

I have not gotten any of the Finecast stuff YET, but plan on getting a nice pile of it as soon as I have the disposable income. However I have a bunch of Forgeworld stuff and while the doors and such, or anything thick or flat, are awesome, I am afraid to play with or even pack some of the minis. An example would be Inquisitor Locke, his sword is paper thin and I had to replace it with a chainblade to even get him into a foam tray and I fully expect the "scarf" on him to brush off at any time. Same issue with Inquisitor Rex's Sword, and any number of items too thin to pin if they break.

The above example of the Incubi Fins is exactly why, if I was buying them, I would go looking for the Metal versions on Ebay so that I could be assured that the fins would stay attached after packing and transporting them.

Resin is awesome for "display" pieces, the detail you can achieve is breathtaking in many cases, but I have my doubts about the long term survivability of a $20 resin min with lots of thin bits. How many arms will Urien still have in a year from now after playing with him every weekend or will he be a awesome looking "stump". ;-)

Chapter-Master

Haha, How about Lok's Servitor. That thing is impossible not to break, and even harder to fix.

To assuage your fears a bit, the Finecast resin is less brittle than the Forge World resin. I just got a resin piece from Smart Max Minis, and, while GORGEOUS, that resin is even more brittle than the FW stuff.

I think the Scibor resin I have is my favorite. I've never had any breakage with his, nor have I ever had any issues with casting. To be fair, his models are very thick, and tend to not have any thin arms, etc, coming off. But I love them.

LOL It's back, unfortunately, and it's already going at it?

Do what the rest of us did, and put it on ignore.
    I had heard the rumours of a giant beast, a true troll of such epic proportions, that one would have to reforge Anduril to hope to stand a chance agaisnt it. The rumours do not do justice to its hideousness...

(also, it's a she??? I ask because I usually go by the assumption that gals are sweet lovable beings that make up for all the horrible horrible stuff in the world by providing us with cleavage and cake... ?)

... says the guy who's completely in denial over his own trolling.
    You realize that at this point you're only trolling yourself? And I think you are doing an excellent job at it on top of things.

I wonder if any other retailers will be following [URL="http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/games-workshop/finecast-resin-models/cat_955.html"]Wayland Game's actions[/URL]?

A 55% defect rate in a 60 package random sampling, unlike Games Workshop I certainly would not call this superior quality, nor any of most of the rest of the inane self-congratulatory and transparent hyperbole from their website.

Quote Originally Posted by laestli View Post
    A 55% defect rate in a 60 package random sampling,
    It's not as bad as they make it sound. At least two of those "defects" looked like broken packaging and the bent parts can easily be fixed by heating.

and those gaps in the chain are easily fixed with a bit of superglue or paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    It's not as bad as they make it sound. At least two of those "defects" looked like broken packaging and the bent parts can easily be fixed by heating.

and those gaps in the chain are easily fixed with a bit of superglue or paint.
    Personally, I've bought 4 fine casts products, first two were returned, next two required inspecting in store 3 packages to fined two that were not defective. So I've personally experienced a 60% defect rate, but that's in a 5 package sampling so hardly indicative of much. Wayland is a distributor with access to large volumes of materials.

To be honest, who wants to buys broken models, at retail? Is this the "next evolution in miniature war gaming" GW is referring to?

I've bought appliances that were floor models because I wanted the huge discount. I bought a piece of crap car when I was 16 as a summer work project. I still shop in used clothing stores because they adjust price to match quality. In those cases I had both good reason and incentive to buy a product of sub-par quality. I, personally, would never buy a defective model without a minimum off 40% retail and that's before the resent price hick of about 14% on the particular model I wanted.

The best thing about finecast, I can take the things I've learned about using resin kits for making terrain in the last year and apply them to . . . more terrain . I have a 4% miscast rate on simple textures and 7% on complex/small pieces. I'm quite happy with that failure rate as the cost plus time it more then compensates for it.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast