BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Adeptus Custodes

They used to have a lot of stuff like this. ones I remember
    Low gravity- add d6 to your movement. High Gravity subtract d6 (difficult terrain might be easier)

Ice, counts as normal terrain but on a roll of a one vehicles fall trhough.
    Last edited by Grailkeeper; 06-23-2011 at 06:06 PM.
    More Necromunda please.

First-Captain

The original RT had a bunch of different terrain-type options to simulate this very idea. I imagine it wouldn't take much to adapt it to 5th ed.

Librarian

I think the randomness of some of the very earliest 40K random Scenarios and WD releases that I vaguely remember from back in the 1980's and early 90's would be the ticket.

If I remember correctly, depending on the scenario you chose, there was a table that you rolled on each turn and a random event occurred or did not occur if that result was rolled.

For example:

Volcanic Death World

1 - nothing happens

2 - "If this shaking keeps up, this building will not last much longer Sarge". One randomly rolled terrain piece is destroyed on a D6 roll of 4+. anyone unit on the terrain piece is hit as though inside an exploding vehicle, and vehicles sustain a glancing hit on their side armour. This represents a mountainside avalanche, or petrified forest crumbling around you, or a ruined building falling down. The terrain piece is now rubble (area terrain) and counts as dangerous terrain. This terrain piece cannot be turned into rubble twice ignore further rolls of 2 or 4 on this piece of terrain.

3 - a 6" tear in the earth opens up. roll a scatter dice in the centre of the table and 4 D6 . Mark this point, and roll the scatter dice again to determine the direction of the tear. the 6" tear is then represented on the table using a suitable method. The tear is lava filled, and is impassable and dangerous terrain. If any units or vehicles are covered by this tear then, units take D6 hits and vehicle get a glancing hit on their side armour. Flyers and Skimmers are unaffected unless they are on the ground.

4 - the earth quakes and all unit foot move d6" instead the normal 6". Beasts and gargamtuan creatures 2xD6", vehicles that move over 6" have to take a dangerous terrain test. Each LOS blocking terrain piece (ruins, buildings, Petrified forrests, etc) are destroyed on a 4= roll on D6 and become rubble/craters (area terrain).flyers and Skimmers are unaffected unless they have landed, or are in close combat on the ground/in terrain. Any terrain affected cannot be affected by additional rolls of 2 or 4 on this chart.

5 - a Large cloud of volcanic gasses crosses the sky blocking out the sun as it passes over. this turn uses the night fighting rules. Skimmers and flyers have to take a dangerous terrain test to account for the ash clogging up their engine intakes vents.

6 - volcanic explosion in the area. Debris in the form of volcanic rocks and lave ejected from the volcano rains down on the entire battlefield. each unit and vehicle takes a hit on a D6 roll of 5+. Vehicle are hit by a STR 8 AP4 hit on their side armour, units - roll a D6 to determine the number of STR 6, AP 4 taken by the unit.

This will give a random effect to the whole game and allow for nothing to happen as well. It also makes the game more interesting, as you can not account for known factors, which will make your tactics harder to work out. It does lengthen the game, but you have more fun.

This might be something like what you are looking for. You would have to make a chart up for each type of world you are playing on. and maybe a master chart for the type of terrain/planet you are fighting on.
    Last edited by Daemonette666; 06-23-2011 at 07:27 PM.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Ork Rok Madness:
    7 turn game. One single "control room" objective in the middle of the table.

Rules are simple: the Defender have to do 2 things:
    - hold the objective for 2 player turns (non-consecutive, non-contested) to attempt to "steer" the Rok away from planetfall.
    - after performing that, wreck the 12-12-12 "glance or pent = destroy" objective on the turn after, to prevent the Orks from correcting the Rok's path.

The Orkz just have to hold out for all 7 turns.

Victory (for defender)
    - Objective is "obtained", then destroyed
    Draw
    - Objective is "obtained" but not destroyed
    Loss (for defender)
    - Objective have not been held in any way by defenders.
    MAJOR LOSS for BOTH SIDES, ALL players in the room must BOO both players for this one.
    - Objective is "accidently" (or otherwise) destroyed by any player before it is "obtained" by the defender

Inspired by a White Dwarf apocalypse article quite a while back...
    Last edited by wkz; 06-23-2011 at 08:38 PM.
    Spam is considered to be a delicacy in parts of England. For local approximations, consider fine foods such as Beluga Caviar, truffles, or foie gras. - Actual GW website quote

I thought of one on a planet with an acidic atmosphere kinda like Venus where is rains sulphoric acid daily

Turn 1- every unit takes d3 str3 wounds
    Turn2- d3 str4 wounds
    turn3- d3 str4 hits, all vehicles takes a glance
    turn4-every unit take d3 str4 hits all vehicles are now considered opened topped(due to corosion)
    turn5- every unit takes 1d6 str 5 hits all vehicles takes penetrating shot
    turn6 and beyond same as five but i doubt youll get there lol

yes no?

love the thread

Chaplain

Resident Creatures

Not all creatures run and hide at the sight of conflict. Many battles have been won or lost because of the ingenuity or stupidy of a commanders use of the local fauna.

Docile Herd Animals; Such as grox (use cold ones), dairy animals, snow ox, certain knarlocs and squigs, dinosaurs (see the eisenhorn trilogy), spined Rhodox, Horn head.

Before deployment place the herd in a random location 12" from any board edge. Make the herd fit within the large blast template . The herd blocks line of sight or provides cover depending on how large the models in question are. If on a regular 25mm sized base the models have toughness 3, on a 40mm base or a bike base toughness 4. On a 65mm base all models have toughness 4+D3. For ease of play I recommend they also only have one wound. Before each player turn the unit will scatter 2D6". If the unit was attacked (shot or melee), in the following turn they will move 3D6 directly away from their aggressor. If they come to a board edge remove them and each player may now roll for them as if they were reserves at the start of their turn. They must enter the board edge within 12" of where they left it.

You may want to give it any other special rules you cant invent which are appropriate. Giant Space Tortoises for instance may have a 3+ armour save and be immune to instant death.

Defensive Animals These animals are going to stand thier ground and defend it if they perceive a threat. Certain knarlocs and squigs, forms of ursa such as the cthellan cudbear, Verdikine, Sinqua, some mutants, demi-pachyderm, Ovigor, Ploughfoot.

Deploy within a randomly allocated terrain feature 12" from any board edge. This is what they will defend. If any unit moves within 12" of that terrain feature, the unit must pass a leadership check not to disturb or bait the animal. If they fail, the creature charges (assume it has a 12" charge range). Use a relevant profile, if none is available treat them as a marine with two hand weapons wearing only flak armor (5+). For very large creatures (carnifex/wraithlord sized) add a single D3 to the Strength, toughness and attacks and wounds of the same creature and they gain the 'Monstrous Creature' USR. The creatures will attack any model that first attacks them, even if that model is a vehicle.

Shooting Defensive Animals
    Many defensive animals have natural ranged weapons. If this is the case on the model instead of charging the animal/s will fire on those who disturb it/ attack it. If the animals have been attacked they return fire in every player turn starting from the moment the aggressors shooting unit has been finished. They may only shoot once per player turn.

They have weapons as follows; Range 12", Strength as model and AP D6 (roll every turn) Type Assault- they have the same number of shots as the model has attacks.

It may be appropriate to give some large models two of these.

Aggressive Animals
    Will hunt down and kill anything they deem as prey. Pack animals may take on units vastly bigger or larger than them and prevail. They cover nearly every mentioned animal in the 40k universe including Ferro-beasts Dracoliths, Carnyx, Carnodons, Althak, Astral Hounds, Psyinxs, megadons etc etc

Behaviour; The animals operate at the start of each player turn. Their behavior changes on a successful leadership check with a -2 modifier. This will go up to -4 if the thier current target has attacked them in any way.
    1. Pick off the sick and weak; They attack the cheapest model on the tabletop (in points)
    2. We are alpha! They attack the physically tallest model on the tabletop
    3. Territorial Threat! They attack the closest model on the tabletop with the largest base.
    4. The colours... They attack the brightest model on the tabletop.
    5. Grrrr... They attack the closest model on the tabletop.
    6. Yes master. They obey the controlling player.

If there is an existing profile for the unit (fenrisian wolves/ clawed fiends etc) use that. If not use the above defensive animal profile with the following changes.

Roll a D6 a number of times on the chart (as many as you and your opponent deem appropriate. I suggest D3;
    1. The animal gets +D3 WS
    2. The animal gets poisoned(D6) USR (roll once)
    3. The animal counts as cavalry
    4. The animal is fleet
    5. The animal is fearless
    6. The animal gets Furious Charge

If armoured, give it an appropriate armour save (4+ for heavy armour, 3+ if it has very specialized armour).

In a campaign you have potential to capture beasts.

Shas'o

AWESOME!!! A lot of great stuff, I can't wait to start trying these out.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Veteran-Sergeant

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?cmcbp2qheekc6fn[/url]

Found a .pdf from the old GW website on my computer. This one details on how to generate an alien beasty.

I hope uploading it is okay. I'll take it down immediately if any of the mods have a problem with it.

If I remember correctly, GW did actually have a ruleset that represented the different kinds of worlds you could fight on. I don't remember if it was in WD, or on their website.

EDIT: Not the one I was thinking, but I found this. It's a little scenario from 4th (I think) edition. Although the layout looks like 3rd...
    [url]http://www.mediafire.com/?hyf2xvx51ct82md[/url]
    Last edited by murrburger; 06-24-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Librarian

Disney World. Every turn roll d6 per unit. On a 1, no movement allowed as there are too many tourists blocking the way. On a 6, no shooting allowed as your unit can't afford ammo after paying the entrance fee. Starting turn 4 roll a dice at the beginning of each player phase. On a roll of 1 the Disney Corporation has purchased your army's home planet and you all become Disney Employees. This causes -1 to Morale the rest of the game. If both armies become employees game stops. Players arranged their models to appear to hold hands and sing "It's a Small Universe After All."

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkencorgimaster View Post
    Disney World. Every turn roll d6 per unit. On a 1, no movement allowed as there are too many tourists blocking the way. On a 6, no shooting allowed as your unit can't afford ammo after paying the entrance fee. Starting turn 4 roll a dice at the beginning of each player phase. On a roll of 1 the Disney Corporation has purchased your army's home planet and you all become Disney Employees. This causes -1 to Morale the rest of the game. If both armies become employees game stops. Players arranged their models to appear to hold hands and sing "It's a Small Universe After All."
    *On a hill overlooking "Disney World"
    Inquisitor: Deathwatch?
    Deathwatch Sargent: Yes?
    Inquisitor: Kill 'em all
    Deathwatch Sargent: Gladly.

Spam is considered to be a delicacy in parts of England. For local approximations, consider fine foods such as Beluga Caviar, truffles, or foie gras. - Actual GW website quote

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast