BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default Sealing Your Models - Matte Varnish

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the Tamiya TS-80 Flat Clear spray? If not what is your 'never fails' matte varnish?

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com

Chaplain

Testors Dulcote is the only thing I use and have ever used. I would try the Tamiya but no one carries them around here anymore.

Krylon 1311. full size rattle can for less than what you'll pay for dullcote. exact same results. love it.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by AoM View Post
    Krylon 1311. full size rattle can for less than what you'll pay for dullcote. exact same results. love it.
    Hmm - I'll have to look for that.

Thanks AoM!

Scout

I use the Testers Dulcote and it works a treat. It's also pretty fast drying on a warm day which is good. I have had one instance of it going cloudy in damp weather, so you might want to watch out for that when spraying. Drying with a hot hairdryer seems stop that happening if it's too cool when your spraying.

One thing NOT to use... would be an enamel clear coat. I totally botched my first batch of chaos marines when I sprayed them with an enamel finish. I didn't pay attention to what I bought. Sprayed my troops and after they dried my guys had a frosty/hazy look to them. Pretty upset about that mistake.

Veteran-Sergeant

Id be careful as to what product i have used. I was not careful either in my choice of spray. Purchased a Tamiya red spray thinking it would make a good base coat. Sprayed a titan with it and a scorpion grav tank. No other paint would react and stick onto it. Tried removing it and nothing would take it off. Eventually tried brake fluid and it didnt work so i let it soak for a few days... bang

end of the story is. I no longer have one of my revenant titans and a scorpion grav tank....

Thats alot of money on wasted minis

So yeh only use tried and TRUSTED paints when it comes to minis

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by vman View Post
    end of the story is. I no longer have one of my revenant titans and a scorpion grav tank....

Thats alot of money on wasted minis

So yeh only use tried and TRUSTED paints when it comes to minis
    Since you're already "out" the titan and gravtank have you thought to going over it once with the new Krylon Fusion sprays? Maybe a very light coat to give a new primer base something to grab onto? The Fusion series is suppose to be somewhat "magical" in it's ability to adhere to almost anything.

Just a thought, I 'd hate to see anyone out that kind of money.

Good Luck if you try it!

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Tetz View Post
    One thing NOT to use... would be an enamel clear coat. I totally botched my first batch of chaos marines when I sprayed them with an enamel finish. I didn't pay attention to what I bought. Sprayed my troops and after they dried my guys had a frosty/hazy look to them. Pretty upset about that mistake.
    Hmmm... well, without seeing any pictures, that does sound a bit ethereal. Could be a quite nice effect for the Chaos forces

Default If You Can't Spray...

I have found that when I need to seal a single mini, and can't ( or don't want to) use a spray finish, Delta Ceramcoat matte interior varnish works very well. Just do not brush it on too thick. If you have never used such a product, it is somewhat milky looking at first but dries clear, and in my experiences never interferes with the colors. (I generally use it on character minis and other things that I paint one at a time.) Also good for quick touch ups.
    And, if you do use any paper products (cardstock et al. ) in conversions, it can 'plasticize' the paper to make it more durable (Although I suppose you could use just about any sort of polyurethane sealer for this) Gonna try that Krylon suggestion. Sounds useful for finishing vehicles. Economical too.