BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nutsy View Post
    That guy who ruins the fun. That guy who refuses to tell you unit stats when you ask politely. That guy who tells you 'you should know everything in my codex'.

what would you do when someone pulls this cute little asshat move? especially in a tournament?
    The TO should give him a severe warning at the very least for behavior like this. And in a casual game, pack up and leave.

At a tournament, I played a guy who wasn't quite that guy, but was still pretty bad. He doesn't outright cheat, but he'll get into stupid arguments over petty little things. So engage him in psychological warfare. The guy I played had a reputation for being... difficult, yet because of the way I handled him he only had a single protest that I quickly avoided, and by the end of the game he was complimenting me on my models (a few features of my GK color scheme are pretty unique, and I have some minor greenstuff conversions that don't look half bad).

Most important thing is this sort of person thinks that he's right, and that you're trying to cheat him. He may be disillusioned, but that's his thought process. If you start arguing with him, you'll cement his opinion that you're cheating with him and the game will be nothing but arguing and passive aggressive comments.

You don't want to just cave into his silly demands, but try and predict what he will be argumentative about. Be careful with measuring (in the game I mentioned, I probably only ever moved my infantry models 5" max), and bringing up issues in such a way that he thinks you want his opinion on them, you'll avoid a lot of headaches because he thinks you're just a noob instead of ignorant. If you're careful, it won't actually negatively affect how you play, but it will trick him into being friendly with you even though you're essentially playing the same as you normally would.

People who argue tend to do so because they think people are trying to disparage them or cheat them. Avoid making them think that, and you can avoid any issues.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

allways repay to the fullest, with cherry on top.

some really bad-mannered asshat moves to pull on THAT GUY to beat him with his own tools:

roll for stuff and if the result pleases you tell what you rolled for. if it isnt pleasing say it was just for fun/keeping your fingers busy while thinking.

rolling dice in a hard-to-see place and picking up sucesses ("yeah, I really just made three 6+ invul saves in a row. its your fault if you are to stupid to watch my dice propperly. dont waste my time, idiot!")

play the shell game with transports with him. dont lavel your transports/ignore your squad markings and to little grafitty on your army list that could resemble anything. then pop that unit out of a transport (destroyed or voluntarily disembarking) that is the best for you in that situation. if they call you out for it tell them that you allready said beforehand that those grafitiy on the army list are linked to the transports in (make up an extremely obscure link like a dot of chipped of paint/tracks going counter/clockwise,...).

make dice indicating a multi-wound model's lost wounds vanish by accident when rolling near the unit (mostly by putting them away with the misses) and then forget that they lost wounds allready. argue up to a dice-off if he calls you out. if a judge is called use the opportunity to complain about all the bad things your oponent has done (which made you think hes THAT GUY in the first place).

move models/terrain/objectives when he isnt watching and/or knock stuff over on purpose and use the opportunity to place said models in a more opportune way.

moving obejctives can be a lot of fun if you use small coins and have one objective placed out of LOS to the oponent and then move the coin with/under a big model (terminator, monstrous creature, tank). objectives can travel rather far with that technique without you getting caught. when THAT GUY asks you where the objective marker is reply with the same words he used to refuse to give information on his codex. dont allow him to pick up any of your models.

if you are smart/have good hand eye coordination (depending on the trick) you should also simply mirror his cheateous endeveours on top of all that.

CAUTION: useing any of the above against anyone but THAT GUY will instantly turn yourself into THAT GUY. Don't be afraid to call a judge even if you are the one cheating on the 2nd and later games in the tournament as the chance is high THAT GUY has allready caused many discrepancies and the judges do not like him (a good judge has an eye for THOSE GUYS and like to punish them!)

Most important thing is this sort of person thinks that he's right, and that you're trying to cheat him. He may be disillusioned, but that's his thought process. If you start arguing with him, you'll cement his opinion that you're cheating with him and the game will be nothing but arguing and passive aggressive comments.
    nah it was nothing like that. in a nutshell, I asked him to give me a rundown of his units. initiative, ws, attacks, toughness, strength. those stats. he came back with the response of 'you should know what these things do already.'

yeah pal. i should have your entire codex memorized front to back, even though you're using chaos zombie wolves models as proxies for your space wolves wolf models.

I must be lucky, never met anyone like that. So far from all the vetreans I have played agaisnt, they are so helpfull they teach me the rules as I go along.

If I met anyone like that, I think I would just pack up my minis and quit playing OR, I would do the same in return, and take forever moving my minis. While you can't pre-measure in the Shooting phase, you can do that in the movement phase, and playing Tyranids whith a hord list, I would pre measure ever single Gaunt and then measure for the next gaunt, move him, then measure the next one, and move him.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Chaplain

The best way I've taken care of That Guy is to place a Turn Counter or even a large obnoxious Die on the corner of the table. It starts at [ 1 ] and goes up every time That Guy does something 'That Guyish'. Don't tell him what it is untill he asks. Then politely inform him of the 'That Guy Counter' normally it is all that is required to tone down 'That Guy'.

Some of the worst things I've seen at Tournaments:

When a Chimera suffers Vehicle Destroyed - Wrecked, it magically lands on it's side and turns 90-Degrees from it's original facing. (Rhinos are famous for doing this as well)
    5th Edition is True Line-of-Sight, so if you can't see the guys behind the now-destroyed Vehicle, you can't shoot them!

A Large-Blast Template lands with the hole BETWEEN the front fins of an Eldar Tank. That Guy claims it's only half strength hit, since the hole is NOT over the Vehicle's Hull.

Oh yeah, the famous Transport Shell Game. Why does That Guy think he can get away with it even if we went over it after deployment and before Turn 1?! I made That Guy place Vulcan Hestan on top of the Transport to designate which one he is in to avoid confusion. Magically, he fell off and got on top of a different vehicle!! The Table Ref did not witness the event, but some random passer-by did and That Guy was called out on it!
    Melissia Wrote: "I think the secret to getting more people to stop calling you an arrogant elitist douchebag is to stop being an arrogant elitist douchebag."

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nutsy View Post
    what would you do when someone pulls this cute little asshat move? especially in a tournament?
    In most tournament's I've been to, the TO would get called over for such dick bag-y-ness to refuse to disclose anything about thier army. The rules say you must disclose everything about your army to your enemy. For simplicitie's sake most people/tourny's boil it down to. "They ask, you answer. Done."

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery.Shadow View Post
    The best way I've taken care of That Guy is to place a Turn Counter or even a large obnoxious Die on the corner of the table. It starts at [ 1 ] and goes up every time That Guy does something 'That Guyish'. Don't tell him what it is untill he asks. Then politely inform him of the 'That Guy Counter' normally it is all that is required to tone down 'That Guy'.

Some of the worst things I've seen at Tournaments:

When a Chimera suffers Vehicle Destroyed - Wrecked, it magically lands on it's side and turns 90-Degrees from it's original facing. (Rhinos are famous for doing this as well)
    5th Edition is True Line-of-Sight, so if you can't see the guys behind the now-destroyed Vehicle, you can't shoot them!

A Large-Blast Template lands with the hole BETWEEN the front fins of an Eldar Tank. That Guy claims it's only half strength hit, since the hole is NOT over the Vehicle's Hull.

Oh yeah, the famous Transport Shell Game. Why does That Guy think he can get away with it even if we went over it after deployment and before Turn 1?! I made That Guy place Vulcan Hestan on top of the Transport to designate which one he is in to avoid confusion. Magically, he fell off and got on top of a different vehicle!! The Table Ref did not witness the event, but some random passer-by did and That Guy was called out on it!

-The 2nd one in question... In fairness if I understand what your saying correctly, he did nothing wrong. That is in fact the proper way that plays.

-The 1st one is realy shady. Their is nothing that say he can't, but it's generally accepted you SHOULDN'T. Not even the most competitive players I've seen would try that.

-the 3rd one? That's just sily, and the guy needs a good slap across the face.
    Last edited by Lockark; 06-26-2011 at 01:06 AM.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Chapter-Master

Go on the interwebz. Find that picture of the chap who jumped through the bandsaw or something equally comical. Drop a sheathe of pictures with such on, on the table.

Tell him he is meat and that is what happened to the last person who was a ****.

If unsuccessful pack up your army, pick up his commander miniature and welly it over the top of the venue screaming: "how ja like them apples BIATCH?"
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chaplain

wouldn't tell you his armies stats? Sounds like:
    WS 2, BS 2, S 2, T 2, I 2, W 1, A 1, LD 6, SV 6
    Armour:
    BS 2, F 11, S 10, R 10

Huh whats that?....It's not huh....prove it!
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by sangrail777 View Post
    wouldn't tell you his armies stats? Sounds like:
    WS 2, BS 2, S 2, T 2, I 2, W 1, A 1, LD 6, SV 6
    Armour:
    BS 2, F 11, S 10, R 10

Huh whats that?....It's not huh....prove it!
    Hahaha, thats just awesome

I love the die in the corner counting down all the "THAT GUY" things they are doing. And when you get to six just start packing up, and if the bugger asks why, say, "because your THAT GUY meter just hit six"

this thread makes me think of one thing

Tales from Original WFRP. My Troll-Slayer would be a terror with his axe, then my friend's Tax-Collector would hit the foul beasty with his cane and usually get the killing blow.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast