BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Its not even that. Imagine another industry where this would work? it just doesn't.

Video games are announced, even if its just a title and a brief description, 2-3 years in advance, and then drip fed images, trailers and developer interviews until it comes out. And it doesn't harm sales does it?

Same for the film industry. Previews, sneak trailers, real trailers and then release.

Hell some companies deliberatly "pre-leak" images. it gets the public more interested
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

I am not sure how that rumoured / informed Lawsuit involving GW has something to do with all this?

I mean, if all those stuff that has been said about only models giving copyrights (and not descriptions / illustrations) is true, then it would make sense that GW strictly keeps all ideas and stuff to themselves until they are released.

Its different in videogames. If one could claim copyrights to a FPS, then wolfenstain 3D, or somewhere around that age, they could reap the royalties from all the FPS games from the past 20 years.. same goes to the settings, scifi, fantasy, post-apocalyptic etc.. Hard to see that happening.

If there is any truth behind the lawsuits, i can see why no "centerpieces of the army" are published, in by illustrations or rumours of anykind. It would seriously harm the selling of army and 'dex if you could not release that Chapter master / Necron High Lord / Supercool monstrous creature because someone released a sculpted version of your illustrations first, right?

In any case, i think it is really sad.. basically it all comes down to company owning rights to something -> more money to them.. Its just that this kind of thinking in my opinion really harms the scene in general, cuts away the competition, and from the consumer / hobbyist point of view: most of all it undermines the variety and creativism of independent persons who would like to make them armies unique (be that some specific theme by changing torsos to wear greatcoats, to a simple head swaps..)

Chaplain

Alas...
    In the grim darkness of the 41st millenium, there is only corporations and quarterly profits
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

If you had a company that spent decades forming their IP and turning it into the world leader in its niche industry, you would want to protect it too. I will never understand why some people think GW is somehow morally reprehensible for protecting what it has created, or greedy when they see another company riding on their coat tails. It smacks of gross hypocrisy to me.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I don't think anyones suggesting the GW doesn't have a right to protect its own property (least I'm not). Hey i'm on GW's die in the CHS debacle.

But theres a line between brand protection and advertising suicide. Personally I think the reason Space Hulk sold out almost immediatly and Dreadfleet hasn't is advertising.Not the fct its a better game. SH we knew was coming. We had time to get excited. To discuss it. To hype it up a bit. PLenty of time to order before advance. With no real warning about DF (and it did have probably the most advertising since the GW info-embargo) there was no time for that.

At this rate do you think we'll get more than 24 hours notice about 6th ed? If you don't order it into store in the first 48 seconds it goes up for order, you can't have till 3 weeks after the release?
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

True, but there is a difference between disliking a policy and accusing the company of greed and implying they would be better off taking an 'open source' approach which someone seemed to do. If you don't like the rumour policy, write in and tell them. As I understand itat GD Australia they said they would change certain policies if they had enough feedback suggesting they were unpopular.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    True, but there is a difference between disliking a policy and accusing the company of greed and implying they would be better off taking an 'open source' approach which someone seemed to do. If you don't like the rumour policy, write in and tell them. As I understand itat GD Australia they said they would change certain policies if they had enough feedback suggesting they were unpopular.
    You mean whining on the internet doesn't work

If someone wants to compete with GW they should do what PP did, their own thing. GW should open up a licensed 3rd party market though, just as Apple will get mad if you copy the iPhone, but they let others manufacture covers and speakers. In the same way GW could license customization pieces to other companies and build a market around it.

I think GW's odd marketing strategy hurts them. If they are indeed trying to copy Apple (since they are so famous for the don't tell people strategy) they have to remember that people most often already *know* something is going to be announced. Everyone knew a new iPhone was coming, with GW's tight lips we don't know if the Necrons are coming.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by flekkzo View Post
    GW should open up a licensed 3rd party market though, just as Apple will get mad if you copy the iPhone, but they let others manufacture covers and speakers. In the same way GW could license customization pieces to other companies and build a market around it.
    They've done this, it's called Forgeworld.

The thing is, that GW have a very high standard (you want to laugh, Go to the Dark Eldar or Skaven section of the website).
    They aren't going to allow a licence if they don't think it's up to their standard; and even then, you would need to be able to produce the quantity for GW's level of consumer base. Companies like this either don't exist or would rather make their own unique produce instead of taking a tiny cut of GW sales.
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

Brother-Captain

So in the October White Dwarf, there is no mention of Necrons coming next month. Does this mean no Necrons in November?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    SH we knew was coming. We had time to get excited. To discuss it. To hype it up a bit. PLenty of time to order before advance. With no real warning about DF (and it did have probably the most advertising since the GW info-embargo) there was no time for that.

At this rate do you think we'll get more than 24 hours notice about 6th ed? If you don't order it into store in the first 48 seconds it goes up for order, you can't have till 3 weeks after the release?
    You did have advance warning. DF was being discussed on here several months before release and they all but confimred it with the 'wanted posters' in WD the month before. There are 6th ed rumours up a whole year in advance (if it turns out to be released next summer). GW deliberately leaks tidbits of rumours (particualrly to Warseer) in order to get the internet chatting and generate hype. Sure, the official annoucements have been delayed but a lot of the rumours we get pan out to be true-ish. The people who care about knowing what is coming months in advance still find out, they just don't get official confirmation.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast