BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Here is some new backround, this time for the Masters Of Unlife!!

The Lost Souls :

Within the Outer-Universe, where all Universae are born - all living things die, it is simply the natural order of the Greater Nature. Normally when living things die their soul is reborn as something else, the memories retained in their particles which are reused again and again over a cycle we could not possibly comprehend it's length. Sometimes, however - some souls will slip through minute cracks in their respective universe. These temporary cracks are almost non-existant but when a soul escapes through this crack it will eventually find itself in a place known only as the Necroverse.

Nothing truly lives in the Necroverse, and it is the unfortuante fate of these souls that they are bound into the unliving techno-organism drones, forever enslaved to the Masters Of Unlife, the kings of the Necroverse. The Masters of Unlife weave their spiral fog towers amid the black nether vortex that they live in - thinking beyond the capacity of what would be considered sane.

It is within the Fog towers and cities of smoke that form and reform constantly, that the Masters Of Unlife float in harmony - directing their abyssal drones and other souless servants to work unimaginable contraptions that keep the Necroverse cities alive. For, if even the slightest mechanism fails - the Necroverse would shrivel-up and rot away into nothingness and as Grave Keepers, the Masters must make sure the cosmic graveyard always exists.

The Strife Of Reaping :

The Necroverse has existed for an unimaginable amount of time. A thousand universes would of lived and died in comparison to a single century in Necroversal chronography. It is because of it's age it is increasingly fail and weak. As time wen on, The stability of the Necroverse ensured it needed an increasing amount of
    maintenance - more than what the Masters Of Unlife could deal with themselves. During this period known as the Strife Of Reaping, many Black Hole Crypts were lost forever, their memories of dead universes histories forever gone - for what most do not know, is that the Necroverse is an unliving cosmological library that contains memories and knowledge of all universes that have come and gone, including precious souls deemed too important to be reincarnated into future realms of existence.

As the thousandath Black Hole Crypt dissolved into nothingness, the Masters decided they must meet each other for the time - and so they would put their collective minds together and share their knowledge and power to come up with a solution to save the Necroverse from entropy. This plan of course, would be that they would open cracks in space to other universes - so they could collect lost souls which they would use to combine with their necroversal technology to create drones that would aid the increasing maintenance of the Necroverse. Of course, as time went on - more and more drones would be needed, and a place known as the Etherium was deemed perfect as it was not a natural universe, but a manufactured one and so it would have a larger amount of lost-souls that could be used to fuel their abyssal technology. So come the Masters Of Unlife.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Chaplain

cant wait to see some this actually happen. keep living the dream.tou will have my support

currently working on a line of sci-fi bunkers and tunneling, input always appreciated

Chapter-Master

Thanks mate!

I think 2nd quarter 2013 is roughly when I think itll all be out! slower than I'd like but I'm still intent on releasing 4 core factions at the very beginning. I have ordered a new tool that should speed up the sculpting process though : A tentacle maker!

------

As a modelling update. I've basicly finished the Tolathian range bar 1 model now - the lightning bolt, i'm still struggling to come up with a way to sculpt the Cloud portion of it, anyone know how the hell I can sculpt a cloud? I also went back and added more details and sticky outy bits to some of the older ones (ironically after I was blown away by those hyper detailed Chaos starterset models).

Luuran are coming along nicely with half of their range now complete - and the second half just started. My favourites so far are the Sect-Tome Keepers, which carry books attached by tentacles that they are holding up, and feature larger triangles over the top of their heads. I think Aliester Crowley would probably of appreciated and got on well with these guys, infact they may of ended up best buds.

Masters of unlife range will be done quite fast in comparison to others, because I don't need to make "poses" for any of them (it would be as weird as making specific poses for Vehicle models).

Axon Synapse will be started in the next month too. Since they are a race of disembodied killer brains - expect lots of 1950's pulp references, as well as inspiration from things like Super Metroid's Mother Brain, and the Spider Mastermind from Doom 2. They will be one of two "pulp" styled factions. The other are a race of killer plant creatures.
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    It probably isn't surprising that tree's and plant's are actually one of my biggest real world inspirations. For some reason I just really love the sillohettes of things like that. I guess it's what has become my "style", which hopefully shows through.
    Huh, yeah, the Tolathians are pretty suggestive of vines - an indeterminate mass draping down inconsistent tendril.
    i'm still struggling to come up with a way to sculpt the Cloud portion of it, anyone know how the hell I can sculpt a cloud?
    Glue gun? Although it'd come out a bit protoplasm-y. (I was saving this post until I photoed my test glue gun horror, but haven't had time to set up a lightbox.) Maybe glue gun over a basic armature of beads (Planning that for part of an Umbra, but haven't tested it yet).
    Axon Synapse will be started in the next month too. Since they are a race of disembodied killer brains - expect lots of 1950's pulp references, as well as inspiration from things like Super Metroid's Mother Brain, and the Spider Mastermind from Doom 2.
    You had me at Mother Brain :P These're building up from the mecha-brain on the blog?
    The other are a race of killer plant creatures.
    Triffids?

Chapter-Master

Yeah, I did do a "3D Sketch" of an Axon Synapse (previously known as the Mind Harvest) I posted on the blog. I find I can't do "2D sketches" - so instead I prefer to rush a 3D one and get the basic form down that I want, then work out how to sculpt it "properly" later on.

The basic ones will still have a mechanical spinal-chord attached to them, but the bottom of the chord will have lethal close-combat weapons that look like surgical hospital tools. Of course it goes without saying they'll be a "mother brain" giant brain with a ton of bionics and weapons - I mean, that's sort of obligatory isnt it? They are going to be portrayed as a culture of "mad scientists", their architechture will look like Blade Runner gone M.C. Escher. Oh yeah, and the Nerve Father's special rule is called "Fiend without a face".

Yep, the plant race are basicly "grimdark Triffids". They are called Jequerita. The homeworlds are basicly plant-life out of control ; you'd have nightmarish living forests that would eat anything animal within seconds, mountain-sized plants pumping seeds into space, an atmosphere of lethal poison pollon, legions of triffid-like plants crawling about everywhere. Hell, They even have killer tumbleweeds.

Chapter-Master

So screw the "I can't do 2d sketches" thing, i had a go over the past 3 days and came up with all of these.

I decided to post some sketches of various PA races i've designed :
    [url]http://outsidetheuniverseitself.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/primeval-abyssian-design-sketches.html[/url]

Dunno if it will be of interest to anyone, but I guess it's a pretty good look into my twisted imagination and thought processes.
    Last edited by Asymmetrical Xeno; 09-23-2012 at 03:04 PM.

It probably isn't surprising that tree's and plant's are actually one of my biggest real world inspirations. For some reason I just really love the sillohettes of things like that. I guess it's what has become my "style", which hopefully shows through.
    I remember the conversions from GW trees that you posted here some time ago; those were amazing! So unlike the trees they were built from, really exciting because they were so unlike almost any other model.

I have a similar feeling with some of the minis you've shown here. I hope you get to release this stuff soon. I'm looking forward to being able to see it all together, so to speak.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris*ta View Post
    I remember the conversions from GW trees that you posted here some time ago; those were amazing! So unlike the trees they were built from, really exciting because they were so unlike almost any other model.

I have a similar feeling with some of the minis you've shown here. I hope you get to release this stuff soon. I'm looking forward to being able to see it all together, so to speak.
    Thanks mate! appreciate the kind words. I hope it will all be worth it in the end - there will be a massive Luuran post coming in the next month or so that will show a ton of their units

Interested in how the pulpy designs will look around the lovecraftian stuff - was concerned that a setting without humanoids wouldn't have a yardstick for the weirdness, diluting the eldritch bits. But, pulpy stuff like brain-bots is so well established that they can probably serve the same purpose without introducing humans, so that'd be awesome.

The two proto-races have plenty of similarities to the others between 'em - are they the ancestors species of most of the modern critters? (Barring the Jequerita/Synapse/Necroverse forces, of corse.)

Also, on the note of the Synapse referencing pulpy alien brain-bots, are you familiar with Marathon's S'pht? They've got some neat brain-in-a-can designs, varying from [URL="http://marathongame.wikia.com/wiki/Compilers"]"human silhouette, inhuman body"[/URL] to [URL="http://marathongame.wikia.com/wiki/S%27pht%27Kr"]abstract bubble-brain with cloak limbs[/URL]. Nudge-nudge, win-wink :P

I usually find that I can only do good 2d sketches after hashing out a practice sculpt. Usually something along the lines of draw a rough 2d, sculpt a rough 3d, then sketch ideas for the bits that failed miserably :P
    Last edited by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer; 09-23-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer View Post
    Interested in how the pulpy designs will look around the lovecraftian stuff - was concerned that a setting without humanoids wouldn't have a yardstick for the weirdness, diluting the eldritch bits. But, pulpy stuff like brain-bots is so well established that they can probably serve the same purpose without introducing humans, so that'd be awesome.
    Yeah, that is definitly the intention there. Even then, those kind of things seem to be strangely abscent from sci-fi wargames - allthough in other forms of media they are definitly fairly common tropes.

The two proto-races have plenty of similarities to the others between 'em - are they the ancestors species of most of the modern critters? (Barring the Jequerita/Synapse/Necroverse forces, of corse.)
    Ancestors in a way, yes. The Ether could be seen as a kind of semi-conscious universe, it's first attempt at evolving a species (the Karuthrax) was a catastrophic failure that even damaged it somewhat - so it developed primitive proto-races as a kind of anti-body type defence. The Adrifell were aided by the proto-races and were able to beat back the Karuthrax but afterwards the proto-races died out. By then, the Ether had learnt how to evolve more sophisticated species and so we have ones like the Tolathians and Iaethlein in the current-day.

Also, on the note of the Synapse referencing pulpy alien brain-bots, are you familiar with Marathon's S'pht? They've got some neat brain-in-a-can designs, varying from [URL="http://marathongame.wikia.com/wiki/Compilers"]"human silhouette, inhuman body"[/URL] to [URL="http://marathongame.wikia.com/wiki/S%27pht%27Kr"]abstract bubble-brain with cloak limbs[/URL]. Nudge-nudge, win-wink :P
    Oh not bad! never heard of this game though, but I see some nice floaty weird things so it gets the thumbs up from me!

I usually find that I can only do good 2d sketches after hashing out a practice sculpt. Usually something along the lines of draw a rough 2d, sculpt a rough 3d, then sketch ideas for the bits that failed miserably :P
    For the most part me too - i'm definitly going to work on 2d sketches from now on though, as I do enjoy drawing (despite sucking at it) so maybe itll be more useful as i get better.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast