BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Valkyrie Squads and coherency

Was looking over the Guard Codex and knew that you could take 3 Valks per choice as a squad, I started to think that if you did take three that must mean that you would have to keep all three of them together or maybe..... they could split up since they were transports.

So I looked up and seen that units of vehicles - squadrons (Page 64 40K RB) move and must maintain a 4inch unit coherency. But I was wondering if there was anything for units of Valkyries since they are transports as well? I could not find anything to support or allow them to be able to split up at any time.
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

4 inch coherency, valk base to valk base. no special rules just because its a transport.

of course, once the troops get out they can act separately in their squads, but the valks obey all the normal rules for vehicle squadrons.

I'm pretty sure they don't get an exception. The 4" coherency rule is one of the disadvantages of squadrons. Valkyries can be used as transports but they are not dedicated transports.

Just to be the third person to repeat the point: they still have to maintain 4" coherency.

Its sorta like the rest of the rulebook actually: there's movement rules, shooting rules and assault rules. THEN there's additional rules on top of that, for example "when stuck in assault, you cannot move normally in the movement phase".

THEN there can be yet more additional rules on top of the rules just now, for example the rules to explain how Beasts differ from "standard" movement and assault rules.

THEN... you get the idea.

A Valkyrie Squadron basically follows all the following rules:

Basic Movement, Shooting, Assault rules.
    Terrain Rules (or lack thereof)
    Vehicle Rules (replaces parts of Movement/Shooting/Assault).
    Vehicle Squadron rules.
    Transport rules (adds to Movement/Shooting/Assault. Especially the part where the vehicle goes kaboom).
    Skimmer rules.
    Reserve rules. Includes Deepstrike Rules (allowed by skimmer)

... and I think I probably missed one or two more rules somewhere... But the whole idea is this: the part of the rules that say "A Valkyrie is a Transport" will not override the part of the rules that say "A Valkyrie is a Vehicle Squadron" in any way (unlike "Vehicle Movement" overwriting "Normal Movement") Thus, both rules still apply.
    Last edited by wkz; 06-26-2011 at 08:28 PM.
    Spam is considered to be a delicacy in parts of England. For local approximations, consider fine foods such as Beluga Caviar, truffles, or foie gras. - Actual GW website quote

Veteran-Sergeant

Great input, Thanks. Kinda how I figured it was. Though keeping the Valks in 4 inches of each other might actually be hard.

Plus being immobilized---> Wrecked sucks the big one.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Velium View Post
    4 inch coherency, valk base to valk base
    Not quite. Valks need to be in coherency but not that close. A part of each vehicle hull should be within 4" though. Base to base would violate several laws of physics in many configurations otherwise!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoq View Post
    Plus being immobilized---> Wrecked sucks the big one.
    Oh yea....not good just having to shoot one of these down cause it cant move. And I can also see why you would not see maybe 8 or 9 of these flying around the table top in a full mobile army....cause its not really mobile. They have to stay together and carry so much of your army into one place at a time.

Don't get me wrong. IG Air Cav can be fun...but it ain't an OMFGWTFHAZORZ win button.
    OKC huh? Ever been down to Lawton? Miss the local gaming scene there....

Quote Originally Posted by thecactusman17 View Post
    Not quite. Valks need to be in coherency but not that close. A part of each vehicle hull should be within 4" though. Base to base would violate several laws of physics in many configurations otherwise!
    you only use the hull on skimmer models that dont come with the large oval flying base. wave sperpents and the like (if you could take them in sqadrons) would use the hull. you use the base for things like valks, ravens and the caestus.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast