BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Celestial Lions 3rd Company

I picked up some Celestial Lions from another guy earlier this year. I have a friend that has played Celestial Lions for a few years now so I knew their story line. However when I got the figures they were dull and not quite the vivid colors I would expect of them.

I decided to do some repainting on them. Now, I didn't strip them I just touched them up. I know this is not near Golden Demon quality, but I hope they stand out on the table. Yet be a quick paint job. I got started on these 3 weeks ago and was able to knock out 50 figures. I also did some very quick and dirty OSL from the power weapons and plasma. I thought I would post some pics and see what ya'll think.

Here is a pic of a tac squad before I got started.

Here are 2 full Tac squads (Note I painted the same color pattern on the Sgt's banner on the squad's right shoulder pad. (So I can tell what Combat squad is what)

Part 2

The 2 Devastator Squads

A Sternguard Veteran Squad

Chaplain

Nicely done, but some of your marines in the first picture are laying down on the job. A few of them even took all their pant off

That is a *very* bright green sword, what colors did you use for that?
    The 4th Doctor has long scarf to protect him from hate.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    That is a *very* bright green sword, what colors did you use for that?
    I have some old citadel glazes. But I began with a light and dark yellow, painted the blade flats in quarters. I then highlighted with skull white. I used fluorescent yellow from Vallejo over the white highlights. after that, I coated everything with the green glaze.

Chaplain

Glaze? I didn't even know they had made such a thing. Now I wish there had been some on that paint rack I got when a store closed a few years ago. Also like the reflections btw.

I also noticed the pinkish plasma cannons you have going, I always love seeing plasma cannons done in bright and interesting colors instead of the usual green or blue. What drew you to the Celestial Lions?
    The 4th Doctor has long scarf to protect him from hate.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Glaze? I didn't even know they had made such a thing. Now I wish there had been some on that paint rack I got when a store closed a few years ago. Also like the reflections btw.

I also noticed the pinkish plasma cannons you have going, I always love seeing plasma cannons done in bright and interesting colors instead of the usual green or blue. What drew you to the Celestial Lions?
    Yup I have had this glaze for going on 17 years and I love it. I used the citadel blue glaze on all the silver items. It's quite thinner than the older washes.

I heard about their story because a friend had picked up an army of Celestial Lions years ago. I thought they were neat and had a great storyline. Fast forward to this past January and a guy needing some cash for Adepticon was looking for a buyer for this army. It was 3 tactical squads, 2 devastator squads (the squads you already have seen), 10 terminators, a scout squad, a librarian based off the AOBR captain, an old Cato Sicarius, another figure, 2 rhinos, and 3 dreadnoughts.

Some of the mods he made were that most of them had custom green stuff lion heads for the shoulders. Also one of the Dreads, he took the back pack arm apothecary tools from Fabius Bile and mounted them to the front of the sarcophagi. The fluff describes them having their apothecaries picked off at 3rd Armegeddon. After their last fight only 96 of them reached the hive and shortly after making it there the last apothecary was shot in the head. Fluff-wise for my army this Dread is the last apothecary. He helps bring the Chapter back from the brink of extinction.

This story line is drawing me in, even thought I am a Space Wolf player at heart. (I have had and played Space Wolves since 2nd edition. Yes, I still have my 2nd edition codex.)

Its always a pleasure to see someone do a unique chapter, I'm a little sick of those Templars, wolves, angels and misc home batch chapters that have no fluff. (citadel glazes...holy crap)

Chapter-Master

very nice i like the bright distincitve colours!

however they could do with some shading ( possibly a wash or two) and the osl is VERY storng (if it was intended this way keep it!)

but anyways nice models and i love the little wreaths on the heads!

-fuzz
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

A really nice looking army.

I like the hi vis green on the power stuff, Ive done a similar colour with OSL on warpstone in my skaven.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post
    very nice i like the bright distincitve colours!

however they could do with some shading ( possibly a wash or two) and the osl is VERY storng (if it was intended this way keep it!)

but anyways nice models and i love the little wreaths on the heads!

-fuzz
    Thanks,

The OSL is bright, but it was "quick and dirty" and I wanted it to stand out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast