BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Necron Deciever

Default Necron Deciever

couple weeks ago friend and i played a game and came to a snafu that perhaps someone can find us a good ruling on.

A unit of grey knights assaults the deciever (necron ctan god if you don't know), what is the order of things happening? Does the Deciever have to choose whether it will leave the combat first or do the grey knights have to use their psychic powers and/or Grenades like Psychotroke first?

IIRC, The Deceiver's rules allow him to disengage BEFORE close combat is fought. Being unengaged after declaring and moving charges and before CC attacks are made = unit is not engaged in close combat = no activation of grenades.

But if I remembered wrong and the Deceiver disengages "At the start of close combat", then yes Grenades will affect him.
    Spam is considered to be a delicacy in parts of England. For local approximations, consider fine foods such as Beluga Caviar, truffles, or foie gras. - Actual GW website quote

The Deceiver can use his Misdirect power to leave close combat "before blows are struck." So he is still assaulted, and the grenades would still go off the instant he is assaulted ("when a unit equipped with psychotroke grenades launches an assault ..."). Then, immediately before Initiative 10 blows are struck, the Deceiver would decide whether to use his Misdirect power to leave close combat.

So yes, he can (for instance) see what the psychotroke grenade effect is before he decides whether to leave CC.

Chapter-Master

but that really doesn't matter, except for a the extreme situation of a multi-assault, and where the psychotroke grenade has units fight amongst themselves.

Well, it's unlikely to matter. But for instance, the Deceiver can see if he rolls a 1 on the psychotroke table before he decides to fight or flee.

so it also means he could make you take a bunch of Psychic tests, possibly perils, then leave?

Well, as long as the psychic tests happened at the right time, yes. For instance, Hammerhand is cast before blows are struck, so that would happen before Misdirect. The force weapon power though, is cast only after the first Nemesis weapon causes an unsaved wound, so Misdirect would come before that.

Battle-Brother

So it seems both should happen 'before blows are struck' (I'm going on what others have quoted as I don't have the books with me right now) so I can't see why one should happen before the other. I'll take a look at the books when I get home.
    kingstuart40k.wordpress.com

Chapter-Master

Yeah, but in moat cases, you want to get outta dodge--- those guys will instant death your deceiver!

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Well, as long as the psychic tests happened at the right time, yes. For instance, Hammerhand is cast before blows are struck, so that would happen before Misdirect. The force weapon power though, is cast only after the first Nemesis weapon causes an unsaved wound, so Misdirect would come before that.
    Lets put it this way: Before or After Hammerhand is cast, it is still cast "before blows are struck". And as long as it is still the "before blows are struck" phase, the Deceiver can still exercise its option to Misdirect and run away.

He's the Deceiver after all! "Oooo, tiny humans, come to papa, I wanna kill ya..." *hammerhand* " HAH! Just Kidding!!" *runs*
    Spam is considered to be a delicacy in parts of England. For local approximations, consider fine foods such as Beluga Caviar, truffles, or foie gras. - Actual GW website quote