BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default Void Mine question

I have a question regarding how the Void Mine is fired. Specifically: do I subtract BS from the scatter roll, as though I were firing a normal blast weapon?

Here is the rule:

During the Voidraven Bomber's movement phase, it may place a small blast marker centered upon any one model it has passed over that turn and roll a scatter dice. If an arrow is rolled move the template d6" in that direction. Once the final position of the template has been determined, resolve the effects above. Note that this counts as using a weapon.
    I am not sure if this whole process is done in addition to the normal shooting rules, or completely outside of them. Could anyone offer advice, or point to an INAT or GW ruling?

As you can imagine, subtracting BS4 from such a small scatter is a pretty big deal there.

Best as I can tell you don't subtract the BS. The void mine is pretty clearly a blast weapon, but note that the blast rules don't actually say you subtract your BS every time you fire a blast weapon. What they actually say is "If an arrow is rolled, the marker is shifted in the direction shown by the arrow a number of inches equal to the total of the 2D6 minus the firing model's BS." Since subtracting the BS is linked to rolling 2D6, I think it's fairly clear that the void mine rule overrides both rolling 2D6 and subtracting BS.

Chaplain

It only scatters the 1 D6 without removing the BS,

As this is done in the movement phase it does not use the normal rules for shooting as Nabterayl pointed out

Chapter-Master

The codex trumps the rulebook. If the weapon had just stated blast, and just described targeting (place on model you flew over), then it would follow the rulebook. However, the description gives specific details how to miss. This overrides the rulebook.