BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

imo? hellz no!

I'm really liking 5th right now. I feel like a new edition can only get more problems than fix, I think 5th is about as close to perfect as GW will ever be able to do it. I mean sure they can add some good stuff and fix some stuff but I bet the make a bigger mess than they clean up.

Chaplain

I guess I'm missing something...what's so amazing about 5th edition?
    The 4th Doctor has long scarf to protect him from hate.

Their are no issues with 5th ed is self. Most of the issues are with the codexs.

Most of the rumoers make it sound like 6th ed is being written for the sole purpose of bringing things like Space Wolves down a level and bumping up other armies.

=/
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lockark View Post
    Their are no issues with 5th ed is self. Most of the issues are with the codexs.

Most of the rumoers make it sound like 6th ed is being written for the sole purpose of bringing things like Space Wolves down a level and bumping up other armies.

=/
    So 6th edition would raise Rhino costs back up to 50 points? And Chimeras back to 70 points?

Do that, and the game would be perfect.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chaplain

I'm not a big fan of 5th edition. I liked 4th edition. Our current edition has so many flaws and frustrations, but I'd rather see an updated version 5.5 than an almost entirely new set of rules (as rumored).
    "What scares us is I think we needed violence."
    http://reddragons40k.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    So 6th edition would raise Rhino costs back up to 50 points? And Chimeras back to 70 points?

The 6th ed rumors make Floot Slogging Assault based armies alot stronger, and stops people from playing "Parking lot".

You can only fire 12" away out of a fire point max. Your relentless inside a transport to off set this, but 12" is still only 12". No more using chimeras and rhinos as moveable bunkers.

The rumored changes to Opened Topped also means Orks and Darkeldar can be a ridiculously shooty army, well not being nearly as fragile.

More or less instead of beating Rhinos and Chimieras with a nerf stick, they made everything eals just as good.

If the rumors are to be believed of course.
    Last edited by Lockark; 06-29-2011 at 11:03 PM.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Chaplain

My problems with 5th edition are in part the codex books (even close combat armies are just shooty vehicle armies by another name now) but also all the stupidly contradictory rules and the terrible layout of the rulebook. I *hate* arguing about True Line of Sight all the time, hate it.
    The 4th Doctor has long scarf to protect him from hate.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    I'll be honest, and I mean no disrespect, but this is something of a silly question. We, the players, don't need another edition any more than D&D players needed fourth edition, or Star Wars RPGers needed Star Wars D20 (and especially not the massively dumbed down Star Wars Saga Edition). In every game system I've ever been involved with, changes do not benefit the players because if the game was truly bad enough to actually require changes, nobody would be playing the game in the first place. In most cases people learn to play with and enjoy the games as they are. Rules changes generally only minorly affect the methods of playing the game, but do nothing for the overall enjoyability of the game.

Businesses like GW, like WotC, like Catalyst Game Labs, like <insert name here> periodically change their rules for really just one reason, and it has nothing at all to do with the enjoyability of the game. They change it to force the fans to buy more products, in order to make money. That, as you all already know, is it.
    As to NEEDING changes many may disagree with you there. The most fundamental changes - RT to 2ed (codexes versus tables, psychic phase, assault changes) and 2ed to 3ed were arguably necessary to bring a quasi RPG into a skirmish game, and a skirmish game into a decent sized army battle game. Result? More popular and accessible to younger players. No virus bombs killing off closely packed ork armies in 1 turn.

As to it being about purely making money, I have covered how they can make money still with minor changes and new print runs rather than a full change of rules.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post

Of course then GW would probably also drop vehicle cover saves, return transports be being not-very-good, and otherwise smack vehicles with the nerf bat. And then transports would be back to being rare.

As you say, old costs with current rules would be much better, or current cost with some of the old rules to make transports not so crazy good.

It's tweaks like this that are why I want 6th ed. In 4th, vehicles weren't good enough. Now, they're too good. If GW does a good job, we'll keep iterating towards a better and better core rule set. Hopefully that's how this actually turns out.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast