BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit movement

Default Unit movement

How much room does a unit have to be between another unit? Can they be intermingled in to one giant mass? This is of course with out a Independent character.

Units owned by a single player can indeed be intermingled, which is why MSU Imperial Guard can have cover saves on a map without any terrain. The issue with using such a tactic is that you have to maintain unit coherency, so not only do the intermingled units have to be within 2' of themselves but also have enough room to actually move between the bases of the unit the squad is enter mingled with (not to mention their own squad's bases).

In short, bases of your own units may touch other units you own, but stay more than 1" away from your opponents units unless in the assault phase.

Note that in a recent FAQ: if 2 or more friendly units are intermingled in such a way that at least 50% of any one unit's models is behind another intermingled unit (thus, in theory all of them having cover saves from each other)... ... the unit with the closest model to the enemy does NOT get a cover save from their friendly units.

(Note: it can still get the cover save from the shrubbery, or other sources nearby)

Someone gotta stand in front to take the bullets, I guess.
    Last edited by wkz; 07-01-2011 at 02:18 AM.
    Spam is considered to be a delicacy in parts of England. For local approximations, consider fine foods such as Beluga Caviar, truffles, or foie gras. - Actual GW website quote

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by wkz View Post
    Someone gotta stand in front to take the bullets, I guess.
    Theres a quote off south park the movie there a certain operation that chef has some problems with.
    Last edited by dannyat2460; 07-01-2011 at 04:41 AM.

Occuli Imperator

I don't have my rule book handy, but isn't there another issue with this tactic (other than what has been FAQed) don't the rules say that you can't move a unit through another unit? (Or am I suffering from made-up-rule-itus/edition regression)

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by dannyat2460 View Post
    Theres a quote off south park the movie there a certain operation that chef has some problems with.
    "Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

"I don't listen to hip hop!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    I don't have my rule book handy, but isn't there another issue with this tactic (other than what has been FAQed) don't the rules say that you can't move a unit through another unit? (Or am I suffering from made-up-rule-itus/edition regression)
    You can't move through enemy units. Nothing says you can't move through friendly units, though.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    You can't move through enemy units. Nothing says you can't move through friendly units, though.
    That's not 100% right. You can move through enemy units if you maintain the 1" rule. Also, you may move through your own units, if the model's base can fit between the gaps.

Ex: Imperial guard Tank Squadron at its max 4" coherency. You can fit your models in between there because they are more than 1" away.

True, true. There is no specific rule stating you can't move through enemy units, it's rare that you can fit given the 1" rule.

The Movement Phase, Models in the way, pg11: A model may not move into or through the space occupied by another model (which is represented by its base or by its hull) or through a gap between friendly models that is smaller than its own base (or hull) size. A model cannot move so that it touches an enemy model during the movement and shooting phases... ... a model may not move within 1" of an enemy model unless assaulting.

Note that "another model" means friendly, or otherwise.
    Spam is considered to be a delicacy in parts of England. For local approximations, consider fine foods such as Beluga Caviar, truffles, or foie gras. - Actual GW website quote

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast