BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Assault Madness

Chapter-Master

Well a three way battle is definitely a nonstandard game type. You should ask your friends if this is okay

Brother-Sergeant

40k is not designed for 3 sides, so the rules kinda break down, especially close combat (effectively 3 rounds of close combat for every 1 round of shooting each player gets).

Easiest way to handle it is the randomize the hits on between the enemies fighting. So 4+ one side, otherwise the other. Just understand that playing with three players leads to a lot of screwy situations that the rules can't cover.

Chaplain

Just find out who has more points total (if anyone does) and have them form their own "team" while the other two fight against them as a team. Uneven games like 3 ways are just disasters.
    The 4th Doctor has long scarf to protect him from hate.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    Thanks for the clarification people!

Sadly, I don't have the rule book. I rely on my friend's rulebook. Problem is consistency. Neither of us can remember every single thing. And I trust in him not to be intentionally cheating. And so often in a battle things are being reread. I've noticed though on occasion we'll do one thing this way then in another game do it another way. I think we might have some interpretation issue. But be assured this nonsense won't happen anymore.

Now, another question:

It doesn't happen often but on occasion I'll be in a three way battle with my friend and his buddy.

The rules state you cannot shoot into hand to hand combat. But I've always interpreted this to mean "if you're men are in said combat." Nowhere does it say anything a player in a 3 or more battle can't shoot into a combat he's not involved in.

Your thoughts?

When I see them engaged in assault I see a nice juicy target to whammy. Is it allowed?
    Please please please please.....go buy the rule book. I almost bet ya if you ask someone real nice they might have an extra copy the small Black Reach rule book they might send ya. If I had one I would send it to you myself. You have to have a copy of the rule book to play, I dont know what else to tell ya.

But "NO" you cant shoot into hand to hand combat. I dont care if its a three way or a anyway. No shooting, there are times when a template may scatter onto a combat in progress, but no you can not shoot into it even if you are trying to kill both of the players in that combat.
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsofDeath View Post
    "NO" you cant shoot into hand to hand combat. I dont care if its a three way or a anyway. No shooting, there are times when a template may scatter onto a combat in progress, but no you can not shoot into it even if you are trying to kill both of the players in that combat.

Actually, you CAN fire into a combat, IF both sides in that combat are enemy forces (or in the case of Karazmazov, if you have a special rule). If you do so, you randomize your successful hits between the two sides of the combat and then roll to wound for each. This particular rule was created with apocalypse-style scenarios in mind.

Actually I'm pretty sure the full BRB does have a section on 3 way battles called "Broken Alliance" or "Broken Truce" or something like that, and if I recall correctly it's ruling on shooting into combat was exactly what Commander Vimes suggested to do.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by thecactusman17 View Post
    Actually, you CAN fire into a combat, IF both sides in that combat are enemy forces (or in the case of Karazmazov, if you have a special rule). If you do so, you randomize your successful hits between the two sides of the combat and then roll to wound for each. This particular rule was created with apocalypse-style scenarios in mind.
    Ok just trying to get this player a solid basis with the basic rules, and a much needed rule book. Not talkin about Apocalypse (cause we all know how much that is played.... pfff), and was not aware of any Special Characters that allowed you to fire into any assault.
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by AngelsofDeath View Post
    Ok just trying to get this player a solid basis with the basic rules, and a much needed rule book. Not talkin about Apocalypse (cause we all know how much that is played.... pfff), and was not aware of any Special Characters that allowed you to fire into any assault.
    Karazmazov has a special rule allowing him to target a friendly model with his orbital strike, even if that model is in combat. Also, the original Vindicaire which is in the Witch Hunters codex has no firing restrictions at all which means that he can choose to shoot at any model on the board for any reason so long as he is alive, including himself!

Given that the OP is playing 3-way battles, the advice offered is pretty important.

Also, i agree that he should try and get hold of a rulebook. Not only are the large rulebooks quite fun to read, but there are a lot of strange turns of phrase and such that aren't immediately clear to everyone, and sometimes actions are possible where a quick glance at a friend's book might suggest they are not.

Chaplain

How long away is the 6th edition rulebook? What with my opponent and thus his rulebook moving I will not get play very often. As it is we only squeak in about 10 battles a year. So I'll either get the current or just wait for the 6th.

In total me and the other two had 7 three way battles. And I didn't care for them too much. Because at any given moment it's easily a two on one match. Sometimes I've let them team up against me as allie. Just to make it less complicated.

So how do you guys regard assault? Do you prefer to get into hand to hand as quickly as possible? Or view it as a last resort?

Myself: it's my last resort. I just hate the assault phase. My method is basically to shoot the crap out of everything. Then he'll have less to assault me with. Or I'll just have a few stragglers to mop up. Assault is not so bad when I use my Templars. A Terminator assault squad is a thing of beauty.

Chapter-Master

If you play orks or space marines or want to start either one or both- get the assault on black reach. It comes with a rulebook and a ton of models.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast