BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default Grey Knight new models vs old

I've had a lovingly converted Grey Knight Grand Master for several years now, and I'd finally decided to fill out my Grey Knight army and bought a bunch of metal termies and GK marines and a forgeworld dreadnaught on ebay about... a week before we started to get solid confirmation on a new GK codex. I was so frustrated ny the perversity of it that they then sat unattended for a few months as I kicked myself for not waiting, then I finished them all at a furious pace to get them done before the new codex and models (out of sheer bloody-mindedness). Now ever since it did come out they have sat on a very nice little shelf while I try to figure out what to make of them...

What this boils down to is a simple question (and I apologize if it's been asked), but proportionally how do the old metal Grey Knights compare to the new ones (especially the Terminators)? Are they the same size, or are they noticeably smaller like old vanilla space marine termies look next to new vanilla space marine termies? I've tried to judge based on pictures, but I haven't had the chance to see them side-by-side, and I'm loath to spend the money on some of the new models (beautiful as they are) because I know if they don't fit with each other then I won't be satisfied until I have replaced my entire little army with new models, a project I'm not eager to undertake for many reasons (not the least of which is financial). So I look to you my fellow long time Grey Knight owners to provide me with answers.
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
    The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Chapter-Master

The new models are awesome. You should pick some up!

Chaplain

As far as I'm aware they're the same size.
    The 4th Doctor has long scarf to protect him from hate.

The old ones are sliiiiiightly smaller, but not enough to be a big deal. To be honest, I prefer the older ones - ammo chains instead of the misoriented magazines, less clunky stormbolters and nice looking psycannons.

The old metal models are the same size as the new resin ones. I use both side by side.

If there is a difference in size with either the PA or TDA, it's too small to notice. Mostly the differences are the ammo feed vs magazines, and the style of the Psycannons and incinerators. I greatly prefer the "Old school" ones myself.

A much larger issue you will find yourself in, in what do do with a army that changes all their NFS for Halbreds and includes no DH. You may possibly also find you need additional Psycannons.

I have an older GK army myself, and when the new codex came out I tried it. At 1500 pts, 4 Psycannons, no Rhinos, and no DH does NOT work. I've since been Bitz collecting, and at least 2 Rhinos or Razorbacks are next.

Chapter-Master

terminators:

the old ones look a bit thinner and theire rear codpeices are a diffrent shape! the tops are marganially diffrent too and the old ones are much more detailed, but you get less options and have to convert them but they are nicer models IHMO!

-fuzz
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!