BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tyranid Synergies: Tell Me More

Troops, I've been working hard to up my game as a Tyranid player. The days of simply sending wave after wave of Genestealer across the board (with a couple of Carnifexes backing them up) seem to be behind us. I keep hearing that the Bug codex relies on synergies. The folks saying that seem to be earnest and well informed.

I see some obvious synergies: use the Swarmlord in conjunction with your reserve forces for reserve acceleration. Buffing Warriors with a Tyranid Prime is another example of synergy in the Bug codex.

My question to the Hive Mind community is this: what are the synergies YOU rely on? What other synergies exist and are sitting there waiting to be exploited by the savvy Tyranid player?

Thanks in advance. Cheers! Copeland

Librarian

I quite like using cheap, scything claw only Carnifex in a "Fire-And-Forget" capacity; advance with a Tyrant, staying within Synapse range, then moving the Tyrant and the rest of the forces off while the Carnifex go mental and kill everything. They're not that many points, but for sheer terror (and the fact that while you can lead them off, it usually takes an important unit to do so, (because I only move the things near important units) they're totally worth it.

You can't argue with a squad of warriors with Deathspitters and a Prime. Everyone talks about how they're overpriced, but if you combine them with a massive squad of Termagants (which is easy to do), they're another terror unit: the aim is to force your opponent to make a choice. Do they go for the horrible unit of easy-to-kill Termagants which, if left unchecked, will dogpuile into their men and win through sheer force of numbers, or do they go for the (relatively) fragile unit of Warriors that will utterly ruin them with str 5 shots when they're in range? If they take out the Termagants, they eat horrible amounts of ranged firepower.If they take out the Warriors, they get swarmed by a vastly numerocally superior force.

Yeah, I quite like that one.

Especially when the Trygons hit.

Librarian

Numerically superior means little with Termigaunts. That is one fight that anybody except Tau want to get into, will win, and quite possibly will stick just long enough to protect from the Warriors.

Genestealers still work quite well. Don't outflank them unless you are reserving several squads of them. Warriors can be decent, but not great. Tyranid Prime is.... interesting but he dies to anything that reliably kills lone characters.

Swarmlord is great for Paroxysm. Screwing with your opponent's statlines is a great way to rapidly improve the odds in your favor. Paroxysm on a huge shooting unit (such as the dreaded 50-man guard) or Long Fangs is a great way to swing the game in your favor. My opponent once locked down Duke Sliscus and a big squad of Warriors which should have ruined Tyranids easily using Parox and it really threw my game off when combined with one or two lesser errors.
    Last edited by thecactusman17; 07-02-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Chaplain

There's the Zerg rush, where you have lots of MCs stampede toward the enemy with Catalyst from Tervigons and cover saves from Venomthropes reduce the shooting casualties so you can get your bugs into the opponent's backfield. This doesn't work very well against DE, however, because their splinter weaponry nerfs T 6 and they have enough AP 2 to negate the FNP from Catalyst. Against other armies it can do well.

Chapter-Master

Foot tyrant with lots of shooting, lash n' bonesword. old adversary. Throw in a squad of sky slasher swams with adrenal and toxin sacs-3 bases for 69 points. Makes a great mop up unit for the tyrant.

I've always been curious as to how to most effectively use a Tervigon. When looking at the tiny squads, I tend to lean towards Hormagaunts (which of course don't benefit the from the Tervigon as much). However, the Tervigon will spawn Termagants that it can buff at full capacity. Is it worth fielding extra squads of Termagaunts when the Tervigon can generate them all on its own?

Quote Originally Posted by PaperclipBadger View Post
    I've always been curious as to how to most effectively use a Tervigon. When looking at the tiny squads, I tend to lean towards Hormagaunts (which of course don't benefit the from the Tervigon as much). However, the Tervigon will spawn Termagants that it can buff at full capacity. Is it worth fielding extra squads of Termagaunts when the Tervigon can generate them all on its own?
    Id say yes because then your Tervigon can be a Scoring unit, and nothing says Scoring like a T6, 6W Monstrous creature with a steady flow of lesser tarpits sat in cover on an objective.
    Last edited by Sonikgav; 03-08-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Tyrants making Troop units outflank. Nothing says hello like 30 hormagaunts hitting your support units.

Would you like to know more?
    Last edited by BS FADE; 03-08-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BS FADE View Post
    Tyrants making Troop units outflank. Nothing says hello like 30 hormagaunts hitting your support units.

You have to be pretty careful with that, and pick your targets. If you're assaulting into cover, even with pumped up gaunts, you may not win the combat. At ld 6, I've had several units run and get wiped.

Chapter-Master

walking tyrant with old adversary, lash whip (tyrant guard with lashs, too). Then Sky Slasher Swarms with adrenal and toxin sacs. They can act as cover (hurray for tyrant guard) and they pack a nasty punch on the charge with Old Adversary (as well as the lash whips). Re-rolls to hit n' wound.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast