BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dipped skaven

Veteran-Sergeant

Default Dipped skaven

Hey folks

I've decided to start WHFB again with my favorite army: the skaven. However, I wasn't really going to paint this army to the highest standard I could achieve. That would be insane for a horde army with 200+ models, so I opted for a fast painting method using my airbrush and the medium (brown) tone of army painter's quickshade.

The first big unit has been finished. It's a 35 strong clanrat unit armed with spears. I had a go at taking a few decent pictures, but getting the focus spot on when you are dealing with such guargantuan units is always tricky. So I opted for a few closeups of individual models while they are in the unit, as well as a full unit shot that is kinda in focus... Although the lighting shifted a bit as I was turning the camera (as you can tell somewhat).

Veteran-Sergeant

Veteran-Sergeant

That's one unit down! Only like 4 more to go...

Next one the workbench is a 45 strong unit of clanrats with handweapons that will be pushing my screaming bell (will be deployed in horde formation with 6 ranks deep).
    Last edited by elmir; 07-03-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Very nice!

From start to finish how long did it take to paint that unit?

Librarian

Damn, this is something. Very well-done.

I'm doing a Skaven army myself, and thinking this might be the way to go. Thanks for sharing!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by OdinStormfist View Post
    Very nice!

From start to finish how long did it take to paint that unit?
    In this way, it's about an hour or 6-8 work I reckon.

The Dark Mechanic

Terrific work!
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Veteran-Sergeant

Time for another update on the speedy stuff. Had a bit of a setback with my varnish going white (probably because I overplied it in some areas) on a few models. These ones did come out ok though, but still need some work on the bases and stuff.

Some piccies:

I opted for a reversed flame on this guy, and I think I'll be taking this route for all the warpstone fire in the force. It came out alright, as this is the first test model for it. Some modest OLS around the bannerpole on his back as well.

Veteran-Sergeant

Next up, is the ratogre. Again, some OLS around the chunk of warpstone in his shoulder.

This one still needs some highlighting on the metal bits as soon as the varnish has settled on it. Both models still need static grass on the bases as well (I don't even go near models with static grass anymore untill the varnish has cured at least 24 hours: lesson learned the hard way in the past... )

Enjoy

Veteran-Sergeant

It's been a while since I actually finished something... :s

But that's more because I have been working on 2 things at once for this army. My piece de resistance of this army will be a clanrat unit of 45 rats with shields who'll be pushing a grey seer on a screaming bell. That'll make for a 10 wide unit with 6 ranks that will be unbreakable. Should be good on the field hopefully.

So, besides painting the rats to actually push the bell, I have been working on the bell as well... The bell got finished (although I may still do a second coat of dullcoat, some of the shine from the quickshade still hasn't been removed completely). So I took it out for a few pictures. Again, being such a massive model, regular macro mode on the camera doesn't seem to cut it anymore. I'm having to rely on manual settings, and that's always tricksy... At least to get good focus on the entire model.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast