BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default BA vs Grey Knights

While I am familiar with the Grey Knights codex, I am not familiar with tactics that work against them.

I am finding it difficult how to deal with them, maybe it is a composition issue.

But, the Psy dreads thrash my transports, and the Halberds kill my furious charge.
    Then I get warp quaked.

ect.

I haven't fought them yet, but of the top of my head i can think of Furioso Dreads, DC Dreads, Vindicators, The Sanguinor, TH/SS Termies (not the best idiea imo), if you wanna dump a huge ammount of points, get Lemartes, altho its again not the best idea. To try and counter warp quake try and get a librarian in there, and si if you can counter it, a Furioso Librarian could work too.

Halberts and army-wide force weapons really screw with BA as they negate their primary CC advantage (furious charge and FnP), so you cannot just charge your guys into CC and expect them to auto-win.

If you wanted to build a list against GKs, then either predator and/or dreadnaught spam should give them plenty to think about. Psyrifle dreads will struggle against AV13 as they need 6s to pen.

If you just want tactical advice on how to beat them, we need to know what kind of list/units you normally run with. The main point is to use your superior mobility to stay out of range until you are ready to strike, preferably with overwhelming force to destroy his army piecemeal.

Try and take out his psyrifle dreads ASAP as they will likely be his only long-ranged weapons. After they are gone, your guys will not have to worry about incoming fire unless you are within 24".

Chapter-Master

Well, composition wise, I am attempting to make an all comers list, because I dont just fight Grey Knights.

A vindicator and and librarian are some things I am looking to add next time.
    I have noticed that death company really need a transport. It is far too easy for grey knights to control the charge against them, and if grey knights get the charge off, the knights are likely to kill DC first.

I have thought about using a storm raven, but I am starting think that taking two is much better than one: my reasoning is that the psy dreads can too easily kill one, but with two you have a good chance of killing 2 dreads right away with 8 missiles and other firepower that the ravens brings. However, that's a chunk of points!

Battle-Brother

As has been pointed out BA really shouldn't be assaulting GK terminators with halberds, they are almost no better than regular marines. Shooting them works really well though as their lack of storm shields means they obly get a measly 5++ so if you can get them out of cover your big guns should do the job.

As for the Psyfle Dreads, these are the guys you want in combat. Of course that's a lot easier said than done. Even if the squad charging doesn't have a fist don't worry, you just want to tie them up, and try and multi assault as many of them as possible, even if he turns around and kills the squad next turn that's one turn you've stopped them shooting and you've distracted a big squad from coming at you.

As for warp quake, nothing you can really do. But the strike squads are the kind of thing you can charge with your assault squads (unless they have been given halberds and even if they have they only get 1 attack each so aren't a massive bother.)

Hope that helps
    kingstuart40k.wordpress.com

Librarian

Don't forget BA get cheaper Devastators than Vanilla marines; I believe 4 Lascannon trump a Psyrifle most days of the week.

Also, a Deep Striking Land Raider Crusader is excellent for dealing with Halberd-wielding GK's. All those twin-linked bolters and the Assault Cannon make a beautiful mess at 12" range; the Redeemer is also nothing to be sniffed at - str 6 AP3 is brutally efficient. Even moreso if the Land Raider in question full of something horible and unexpected like an honour guard squad equipped with 4 flamers (or 4 plasma guns); put enough wounds on that GK unit and they won't make it to Assault in the first place...

I am unsure about unit selections that would only work against GK since the OP said he wants a balanced list.

Devastators are a good shout, as are keeping storm ravens back for a turn or two to try your luck with missiles.

Other things to consider are, if you are taking Dante in a DoA list, remember he can adjust the reserve roll up AND down. Don't be afraid to hold your units in reserve a turn extra. Its only GKSS that have the warp quake power, and often elites such as Paladins and Purifiers would split off to do their own thing half way through the game.

When they are outside of 12" of GKSS would be the best time to drop in and blast them, and it is times like this that inferous pistols really make their mark.

Pin-point DS with Dante and a inferus pistol packing honor guard squad (as is often taken as standard with BA lists) can instant kill a good number of Paladins with their S8 shots, and if you took a few storm shields in that squad, those I6 halberts won't hurt quite so much.

Although TBH, I would not focus too much effort in trying to take on his death star head to head. BA should have the mobility to avoid that unit and pick their battles.

Pick off the easy squads first to make sure you at least have draw before going head to head with Paladins/purifiers, if at all.

Umm, excuse me, but im confused, can you explain this please?

Quote Originally Posted by plawolf View Post
    Other things to consider are, if you are taking Dante in a DoA list, remember he can adjust the reserve roll up AND down.
    Afaik, Blood Anges only reroll FAILED reserves rolls when arriving by deepstrike, and Dante does not have any rule that lets you modify that reserve roll. He only gives you pin-point deepstrike and hit and run rule to himself and the unit he is with. Unless i really missed something.

I agree with what you say about picking the easy units first tho. Usually, BA and GK fight outnumbered, since they only deploy like 30-40 models top. Killing the "easy" units first can give you the number superiority and with higher mobility you can try and pick the fights a little better.

Chapter-Master

outmanuver, out gun and assalut the squish bits! now you 5 man 300 pts unit has I6 and 15 attacks

my 300 pts unit is A DC dread/ mephy/ 10 man assault squad

big assault squads in drop pods or lots of land raiders is a good bet, and you cant go wrong with a dread or two. just dont go for mid range combat, and pimped libbys (with psy hoods) are fun too!
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Chapter-Master

GKs don't care for THSS Terminators, and they don't care for things that can shoot them to death before I6 ever happens. Predators are great and fairly tough against GKs.

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    Don't forget BA get cheaper Devastators than Vanilla marines; I believe 4 Lascannon trump a Psyrifle most days of the week.
    But how many points is a Devastator squad, and how many points is a Psyrifle Dread? And the only thing Devestators can do is shoot. Dreads are mobile firepower, and can tie up enemy units if need be. Better bring enough thunderhammers in you Death Company squad.

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    Also, a Deep Striking Land Raider Crusader is excellent for dealing with Halberd-wielding GK's. All those twin-linked bolters and the Assault Cannon make a beautiful mess at 12" range; the Redeemer is also nothing to be sniffed at - str 6 AP3 is brutally efficient. Even moreso if the Land Raider in question full of something horible and unexpected like an honour guard squad equipped with 4 flamers (or 4 plasma guns); put enough wounds on that GK unit and they won't make it to Assault in the first place...
    If you're talking power armor GKs, then yes, though they have Warp Quake so flamers are useless and they have Rhinos so TL bolters may be as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post
    outmanuver, out gun and assalut the squish bits! now you 5 man 300 pts unit has I6 and 15 attacks
    Well, 5 man 300pts with 2 wounds each, a couple psycannons, str 5+, etc. Paladins aren't an assault unit anyways. That's what Purifiers and regular Terminators are for, though they're not really true assault units either.

Anyways, it's tricky to outmanuver a GK army even if you're faster, because the GK army can move as one unit due to its small footprint and ability to move and shoot to no detriment. You get close enough to shoot/assault one GK unit, and you're in range of the whole GK army. The GK army doesn't even have to turtle down in a corner like other armies, they can march to the middle of the board to take objectives and at least force a tie.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 07-06-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast