BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 2000-point Mech Grey Knights

So now that my Grey Knights army is finally fully-painted, I've made the last little tweaks with wargear to where I'm about happy with it:

Grey Knight Librarian - 180
    > The Shrouding, Quicksilver, Sanctuary, Might of Titan, Warp Rift, Master-Crafted Nemesis Force Sword

Grey Knight Strike Squad - 170
    > 5x Grey Knights w/ Psycannon, Nemesis Daemon Hammer > Razorback w/ Psybolt Ammunition

> 5x Grey Knights w/ Psycannon, Nemesis Daemon Hammer > Razorback w/ Psybolt Ammunition

Grey Knight Terminator Squad - 230
    > 5x Grey Knight Terminators, Master-Crafted Nemesis Force Sword, 2x Nemesis Force Halberds, Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Psycannon

Grey Knight Terminator Squad - 230
    > 5x Grey Knight Terminators, Master-Crafted Nemesis Force Sword, 2x Nemesis Force Halberds, Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Psycannon

Stormraven Gunship - 205
    > Twin-Linked Multi-melta

Stormraven Gunship - 205

Dreadnought - 135
    > 2x Twin-Lined Autocannons, Psybolt Ammunition

Dreadnought - 135
    > 2x Twin-Lined Autocannons, Psybolt Ammunition

The Master-Crafted weapons and Warp Rift are filler. I couldn't find anything meaningful to do with those 20 points except maybe The Summoning and a Teleport Homer for the Librarian, but without Warp Stabilization fields for my all eight of those vehicles, I'm not thrilled about the idea. I've played with the list a couple times, and it feels pretty deadly, especially for one who has only played the game a few times a year since 2005. I'm thinking of bringing this to the Feast of Blades qualifier later this month just to get my tourney feet wet.

I'll be bringing this to WargamesCon, and but only for for pickup games if anyone wants to show me a thing or two. Here are some quick army pics, so you know the easy target at the Con.

Last edited by relasine; 07-04-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Well, not the list I would go with using Grey Knights, but it could be interesting to see it in action. My fear would be that most of your squads will have to be outside of their Razor backs to do any damage and I am too much of a turtle to give up my roving Rhino Psycannon drive-bys. Granted I am slowly learning the greatest strength of the Grey Knights is actually their storm-bolters.... they can put out sooo many shots they are bound to inflict a few wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by relasine View Post
    Stormraven Gunship - 205

Stormraven Gunship - 205
    No TL Lascannon? I mean its a free upgrade and a nice long range AV14 popping device.

The Master-Crafted weapons and Warp Rift are filler. I couldn't find anything meaningful to do with those 20 points
    20 points ... and you have a Librarian ... ummm Servo Skulls. Yes, Servo Skulls. They are F**KING AWESOME! Deny the infiltrate and scout moves of my opponents armies ... yeah I like that. Grab 3 skulls on the libby and you have 5 extra points... imo searchlights or a Master Crafted weapon on the libby.

I would love to see some battle reports on this list when you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Denied View Post
    Well, not the list I would go with using Grey Knights, but it could be interesting to see it in action. My fear would be that most of your squads will have to be outside of their Razor backs to do any damage and I am too much of a turtle to give up my roving Rhino Psycannon drive-bys. Granted I am slowly learning the greatest strength of the Grey Knights is actually their storm-bolters.... they can put out sooo many shots they are bound to inflict a few wounds.

No TL Lascannon? I mean its a free upgrade and a nice long range AV14 popping device.

20 points ... and you have a Librarian ... ummm Servo Skulls. Yes, Servo Skulls. They are F**KING AWESOME! Deny the infiltrate and scout moves of my opponents armies ... yeah I like that. Grab 3 skulls on the libby and you have 5 extra points... imo searchlights or a Master Crafted weapon on the libby.

I would love to see some battle reports on this list when you get a chance.
    I know what you mean about having to get out of transports. With only five-man squads, they die to any kind of concentrated fire, which means I'll have to weigh that decision with a lot of thought.

I've thought about going with a TL Lascannon, but I'm hesitant to label it an upgrade, and in my experience Lascannons don't make good AV 14 popping devices. The Multi-meltas are markedly better at it than the Lascannons, albeit it at much shorter range. So far, the Assault Cannon paired with Mindstrike Missiles has been a pretty potent method for taking down hordes while I use the Multi-melta
    to shoot at tanks with the Power of the Machine Spirit. If I switch to the Lascannon, I'd feel that I was losing some balance there. I'll playtest it.

Originally I did have Servo Skulls on the Librarian, but I found that I wasn't deep striking anything, so I took them out. However, I forgot that they stopped Scouting moves and Infiltrators, though. I'll switch back to the Servo Skulls.

Chaplain

What shade of grey is that? It is very striking.

Quote Originally Posted by celestialatc View Post
    What shade of grey is that? It is very striking.
    The greys were done with a series of P3 paints. The basecoat was done using P3 Greatcoat Grey. After basecoating, a shade was applied locally to crevices using a watered-down 50/50 mix of P3 Thamar Black and Greatcoat Grey. After that dried, I cleaned up the areas where I didn't want the shade with the basecoat of Greatcoat Grey again. The first highlight was applied using a 50/50 mix of Greatcoat Grey and P3 Bastion Grey. The second highlight was Bastion Grey. The third highlight was a 33/66 mix of Bastion Grey and P3 Trollblood Highlight.

The vehicles were airbrushed with using 50/50 P3 Greatcoat Grey and P3 Bastion Grey. The shades were all done with straight Greatcoat Grey.

Chapter-Master

TL Assault Cannon is much better anti-tank, much better anti-infantry, and its only weakness (short range) is mostly negated by the fact that the GK storm raven is a transport first and gunship second unlike the BA storm raven.

Exactly. Servoskulls and the Summoning.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I personally think its a well rounded army, can stand up to the tourny ......