BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Brother-Sergeant

Default Getting Started With Cygnar

I decided to give warmachine a try.The look & tactics of Cygnar seem to suit me best.My first purchase looks to be the battlegroup box,counters, & rulebook.The problem is I'm still under the free shipping total.The first few games will be battlegroup box games, (since everyone in my gaming group will just be getting started as well) but I was planning on ordering something else to get free shipping & since I know just a little more than nothing about this game.I thought this would be a good place to ask more experienced players for their input.The battlegroup will be my core for awhile,I want to learn how use them inside & out before I start changing the foundation of my army.With this in mind I ask,What would be your next choice to compliment the battlegroup.After your first choice,what others do you feel are essential to take the battlegroup to the next tier (I think battlegroups are 15pts & the next usual evolution is 25,please let me know if I'm mistaken).

Chapter-Master

The Battle Group is a really great way to start your Cygnar army, to be sure. If you're intent on stickin with Stryker, it is certainly worth your time to get an Ol' Rowdy model. He's Stryker's personal Warjack and gets a ton of free activiations that make him really dangerous.

For some smaller types, you could look at:

Black 13th - Really versatile, really inexpensive unit. Honestly, a great building block for a Cygnar force.

Journeyman Warcaster - Again, an inexpensive option that works in nearly all army lists. You'll want one eventually.

Squire - The "turkey" is able to help you be more focus efficient, and grants some other nice powers.

Arlan Strangeways - Another really nice, inexpensive solo. Can be utilized almost like Journeman Warcaster.

The thing about Stryker is that he's a really versatile caster. He can do a lot with a lot of different builds. Surprisingly, I think I'd look at some of our solo options as your jumping off place, and then expand from there as you figure out how you like to play them

First-Captain

The battle box starters are actually 11 points each. So you have 4 points to go to get up to 15.

Points are really what you decide to play. 15/25/35/50 tends to be the standard deviations, though--with 35 points being thought of as comparable to a 1500-1750pt game of 40k in terms of scope/duration.

There are a lot of great solos and units with Cygnar that might help you with the basic Stryker box.

The aforementioned Journeyman Warcaster & Strangeways are great solos--strangeways particularly.

You don't have a lot of ranged combat--so Stormsmith Callers, Black 13th, & Trencher chaingun/cannon could help with that in the 4 points or less category. Or you could go with a unit of Sword Knights for some added boots on the field. 15 points kinda limits you in that dept.

At 25 points, you have a lot more leeway.

I would echo the Black 13th sentiments. They're a fantastic unit that you'll get a lot of milage out of (not to mention your money's worth). They're 4 points and bring you up to 15 exactly.

How much do you need to spend to get there?

Brother-Sergeant

Thank you all for taking the time to reply & help me out.I been playing tabletop games for about 20 years & I have found that starting a new game/army is a tricky business.I often picked model/units that look cool or alot of fun to paint/model only to find,once on the table that they don't fit the theme of my army or have no real roll on the battlefield.It'll be nice to get it right for a change,there is nothing I hate more than painting up a nice unit that ends up doing nothing more than holding down my book case.With your input in mind,I've decided to go with the Black 13th(my lucky # by the way,lets hope that pleases the dice gods).I only needed $10 for free shipping & I can get the 13th for $12 & it'll bring my 11pt army up to 15pts.Now I just have to wait for them to come in the mail.

Brother-Sergeant

Now that I know what the foundation of my army is (first 15pts at least) & that it'll be a little while before they arrive.I thought we could discuss a few general questions to pass the time.First off,what will this army do well,what tactics should I employ to bring their strengths to bare on the enemy?What are its weaknesses,what tactics should I employ to minimize this lists short comings?Keep in mind generalizations are fine,I've played enough games to know that all factors can't be accounted for & what looks good on paper doesn't always translate into battlefield success.But I've found picking the brain of comrades that have "been their & done that" is one of the few ways a general can prepare for battle (especially one who is as new to the game as myself).Thanks for your advice.