BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'd agree that offensively they are quite weak. They are cheap scoring units with a few viable options like a mobile heavy weapon and access to melta weapons. I'd use em in the following way:

1) Distant objective holders. You do exactly what vman said and park a minimum unit with a weapon platform on a rear or far flank objective. They hold the objective and provide heavy weapon support to help soften up distant targets. If they get threatened they tactically retreat and fire the heavy weapon on the move.

Note, that the rules for heavy weapons platforms do not take up space in transports. So a wave serpent held in reserve with star engines can drop this unit onto an objective in the mid to late game if need be.

2) Storm guardian offense. Take storm guardians with melta guns in a serpent. Plow them forward and drop em out to melt tanks and assault the contents. They'll prolly die, but they were cheap.

Yes, storm guardians with their 2 fusion guns in your favorite transport. Spam it like crazy!

Defender guardians have such crappy stats and shuriiken catapults are a joke, 12" assault weapons on guys who can stand a stiff breeze let alone close quarter combat. The eldar codex as a whole is not competitively viable I'm sorry to say.

I still very much enjoy playing my eldar, but it does seem to be more and more of an uphill battle.

I found a good use for them a while ago. I was playing a 500 point game against a friend. His marines ran around a hill and fired at a more-important thing of mine. I proceeded in the next turn to rip him to shreds with shurikens and lasers.

My point is, they are often overlooked by your enemy and can deal a heavy blow if placed right and you roll well

They are very much like every other unit in the eldar codex in that respect.

Battle-Brother

Jetbike guardians are pretty good actually. For 76 points three of them and a cannon can hide behind cover, pop out and shoot and jump back behind to cover every turn. They really make their points up if you keep them alive though. If you have last turn they can capture or contest almost any objective on the board.

Foot guardians also make a good screen.
    I know that sounds silly, but a warlock with conceal (or actual cover) will help them stay alive.
    And then you can array some D-Cannons behind them with Embolden (to keep them from running off)
    This also requires some sort of counter-charge unit in case the enemy gets close, but it is viable.

You could have stopped at Eldar*. They need a new codex.

Veteran-Sergeant

guardians are still good, they are just limited in what they can do i also run a 10 man squad with a warlock wth embolden and a missle launcher and they set on a objective, they can either hit tanks or squads, and YES ELDAR NEED A NEW CODEX SOON

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12