BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hi all,
    Well there are games with provable levels of ballance.
    Eg they use a FIXED method of determining PV which is proven by years of game play.
    And they use army composition to reduce the effects of synergistic imballance.

Armies of Arcana , Full Trust, Firefly, ChallengerII, to name a few.

As 40k rules are primarily used to '...sell toy soldiers to children...'

Its only the skill of the game developers that allow the current ( minimal) levels of balance in the game.

40k uses inapropriate game mechanics that result in loads of additional rules , USRs , Vehicles rules , and codex special rules.
    Its no wonder the devs have a hard time getting things ballanced !

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by drwholives View Post
    They are so broken its believable. DE are very balanced you also cannot make a leaf blower or an list that can overpower every army. .

I would actually call DE broken in the sense that they are VERY good at raping infanty heavy armies and force the meta to mech up.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    The game itself is unbalanced; unbalanced in so confusing many ways that it's impossible to truly accurately and in detail describe the balance without a ten page essay, due to the varied interactions between the innumerable builds and armies, especially since luck and strategy both play very important roles in victory..

The GKs didn't make it worse :P
    What she said.

Brother-Captain

Let's put it this way... don't plan on using any Eldar close combat but Wyches and Harlequins, and don't even try to think that Slaaneshi chaos marines are going to help. Halberds were a ridiculous idea which Mat Ward seems to have put in just because he couldn't stand the thought of his precious spehss mahreens being out-done at something, namely speed.

Did I mention psyk-out grenades? Because Tyranids really needed to be worse. The fact that they get so much extra stuff for absolutely no cost really throws most armies off.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Warmachine is somewhat balanced (though it also has a rock-paper-scissors quality, but it solves that by letting you take two lists to a tournament typically so you don't have to worry as much about facing that one list that can crush yours effortlessly). It mainly achieves it through its brutal win conditions. You can lose almost every model in your army, but you still have a shot at victory if you can just get a shot at their warcaster, or pull off the win condition. Even if you're slaughtering your opponent, you can't get sloppy because if you mess up, they can come back and win it.
    Didn´t know that. Thanks!!

But I still think in 40K can occur the same thing... Just two bad dices and you say bye bye
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drwholives View Post
    They are so broken its believable. DE are very balanced you also cannot make a leaf blower or an list that can overpower every army. .

I would actually call DE broken in the sense that they are VERY good at raping infanty heavy armies and force the meta to mech up.
    Are u joking?? DE is balanced GK is not on so many levels. Try 3 Venerable Dreadnoughts who DE cant destroy because unless you destroy it which is hard enough to do since you have to reroll on the damage table hoping not to get a 1 or 2. If you do stunn it the next turn they just roll a phyic test to ignore it...they dont even have to pay for it no points its free!!!! On top of that All physic test's are at -4 if your close enough to a verable or attacking it. They can take 2 twin linked autcannon which out shoot all of the dark eldar vehicles and with physbolt ammo they are strength 8 not stregth 7 which can easliy take out a Raider or any DE vehicle you cant make that many flickerfield saves. Oh and stick a libraian close by and you can give these monsters a cover save if they didnt have 9 lives already.
    THat is just one unit do i really need to expalin any other of the broken units.
    I played a list that had 3 verables 2 dreads, purgataion squad, libraian and some troops i cant rember off the top of my head. It rocked me 3 games in a row..Mind you i play DE and i in no way suck at this game, i was borderline about to quit. SO EXPLAIN TO ME HOW DE ARE OVERPOWERED.....

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bibbums View Post
    Grey knights are elite and pretty damn awesome. However, have they shifted the balance of the game?
    40k was never balanced in the first place. So who cares about shifting skewed balance.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Veteran-Sergeant

I think your link is more of a demonstration of the writer being skilled/lucky than DE being broken.

Not to mention that the 'Best General' award went to a SM player.

Grey Knights really arent that bad..? I mean, they have a ****e load of weaknesses (I.E they are still just basic marines, and destructors hurt them just the same, so on so forth. I do feel drwholives seems to have a hate GK agender too, seeing as the Dread example is easily countered by the fact that: yes, Psyrifle dreads are killey, and venerables are hard to kill... But a re-roll on the chart isnt that much of a god sent, I made my dread explode with the re-roll. Take what I say, as from a man who doesnt play tournaments though :L (btw Draigo doesn't like combat with Dreadnoughts)
    [I][I] =][= "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse” =][=

so far GK have been not that op. if they would have been op we would be seeing them more on the winning side anyway.

ah yeah and drwholives... seriously? you sound like a codex jumper that couldnt afford the GK codex after spending his whole money on the dark eldar book and is now crying his heart out that he couldnt jump on the next bandwagon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast