BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eldar - again!

Chaplain

Default Eldar - again!

I've pimped this list on a few blogs I visit asking for advice, I've managed to strain out the crap and got this now. ONly question is I have 160 points left, what shall I do with it? I could add Eldrad?

Also, where should I put Eldrad/Farseer?

HQ

1 x Autarch - mandiblasters, power weapon & fusion gun - 100

Farseer - Doom, Fortune & runes of witnessing - 140

Elites

10 x Striking Scorpions w/ Wave Serpent - serpent w/ brightlance - 295
    6 x Fire Dragons w/ Falcon - 211
    6 x Fire Dragons w/ Falcon - 211

Troops

10 x Dire Avengers w/ Wave Serpent - serpent w/ brightlance - 255

Heavy Support

Fire Prism - 115

total 1837

Any ideas fine folk of BOLS Lounge?
    Last edited by mercer; 09-04-2009 at 07:36 AM.
    www.imperiusdominatus.com - warhammer 40,000 tactica and hobby blog

Veteran-Sergeant

Default Eldar are the bestest!

I like the list. It will really thrash mech armies. You are a little light on anti-personnel weaponry. I would consider upgrading the farseer to eldrad and sticking him and your autarch with the striking scorpions. I would spend the remaining points on a jetbike squad of 6 with 2 shuriken cannons. Good luck!

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by karandras View Post
    I like the list. It will really thrash mech armies. You are a little light on anti-personnel weaponry. I would consider upgrading the farseer to eldrad and sticking him and your autarch with the striking scorpions. I would spend the remaining points on a jetbike squad of 6 with 2 shuriken cannons. Good luck!
    I cannot remember point values, but I know upgrading to Eldrad will use a good portion of the points. I'm now sure on the jetbike price either, I take it you mean shining spears though? I'll check it out.

Veteran-Sergeant

Default Jetbikes

A unit of 6 Guardian Jetbikes with 2 Shuriken Cannons is 152 points. A unit of 5 with 1 Shuriken Cannon is 120. Jetbikes are troops and extremely useful for grabbing objectives. I don't particularly like Shining Spears. You said you had about 160 points to burn.

Battle-Brother

A unit of 6 Guardian Jetbikes with 2 Shuriken Cannons is 152 points. A unit of 5 with 1 Shuriken Cannon is 120. Jetbikes are troops and extremely useful for grabbing objectives. I don't particularly like Shining Spears. You said you had about 160 points to burn.
    Karandras speaks the truth, Guardian Jetbikes can play a great role in any Eldar army, by both doing what Karandras said and killing troops with lots of shurikens and they also make a great last minute objective grabber/contester. Plus you wont lose that sense of speed you have with the list currently.

-Goresmack

I don't know that you really need an autarch in this list. Scorpions are already pretty powerful, and while they certainly won't win all their fights, I don't think having an autarch will help them in the fights that they would lose anyway, as he only adds something like 5 S3 power weapon attacks.

With two squads of fire dragons, I don't know that you need all that many brightlances on your transports. If you drop them to shuriken cannons, you'll have more anti-horde firepower and will still be able to use your transports to deal with armor. TL Shuriken cannons are better at killing AV10 than a TL Lance.

Speaking of the fire dragons, the unit as is is illegal, as the falcon needs to buy a weapon. I think a serpent is a better transport for dragons anyway.

Your dire avengers could really use an exarch with bladestorm, this helps their damage output incredibly. Bladestorm's drawback doesn't really come into play in a mech list, as you'll drop, bladestorm, and probably load up into your transport to leave again the next turn.

Finally, I think it would be a good idea to invest in spirit stones. Your army needs to get to the front together, and having your strategy messed up because of a stunned result or two is something you probably want to avoid.

Edit: If you still have spare points, I would suggest possibly switching your seer for Eldrad, adding more prisms, or maybe getting some more troop choices. With three avenger squads in transports you're probably okay for troops (I only run two and they usually aren't wiped out), but it wouldn't hurt to pick up a GJB squad or just guardian defenders. Either way, against most armies it would be a good idea to hold GJB and defenders in reserve, as they will be the only squad outside of a transport and so will draw the fire of every Anti-Infantry heavy weapon your opponent has.
    Last edited by Tsear; 09-04-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Runes of warding are much better than runes of witnessing in a competitive list. Although if you're upgrading to Eldrad he gets these anyway. Shutting down your opponent's nasty psychic stuff anywhere on the table is huge, especially with all of those ld9 IG psykers out there.

looking at your list these things I would be considering.
    though as ever the curse of the eldar ...never enough points

falcons spirit stones definatly and on as many vital transports
    falcons maybe holofield (expensive and it looks like ant tank is covered so this force may get away with out it)
    runes of warding ( lash armies have taught me this)
    upgrade autarch to yariel

dave l

Chaplain

Oh, some confusing words. I thought you meant upgrade Eldrad AND the bikes. I've looked at the guardian jetbikes and they seem ok. I don't know about Eldrad as I won't use all the psychic powers any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsear View Post
    I don't know that you really need an autarch in this list. Scorpions are already pretty powerful, and while they certainly won't win all their fights, I don't think having an autarch will help them in the fights that they would lose anyway, as he only adds something like 5 S3 power weapon attacks.

With two squads of fire dragons, I don't know that you need all that many brightlances on your transports. If you drop them to shuriken cannons, you'll have more anti-horde firepower and will still be able to use your transports to deal with armor. TL Shuriken cannons are better at killing AV10 than a TL Lance.

Speaking of the fire dragons, the unit as is is illegal, as the falcon needs to buy a weapon. I think a serpent is a better transport for dragons anyway.

Your dire avengers could really use an exarch with bladestorm, this helps their damage output incredibly. Bladestorm's drawback doesn't really come into play in a mech list, as you'll drop, bladestorm, and probably load up into your transport to leave again the next turn.

Finally, I think it would be a good idea to invest in spirit stones. Your army needs to get to the front together, and having your strategy messed up because of a stunned result or two is something you probably want to avoid.

Edit: If you still have spare points, I would suggest possibly switching your seer for Eldrad, adding more prisms, or maybe getting some more troop choices. With three avenger squads in transports you're probably okay for troops (I only run two and they usually aren't wiped out), but it wouldn't hurt to pick up a GJB squad or just guardian defenders. Either way, against most armies it would be a good idea to hold GJB and defenders in reserve, as they will be the only squad outside of a transport and so will draw the fire of every Anti-Infantry heavy weapon your opponent has.
    The Autarch compliments the scorpions very well, 5 S3 power weapon attacks aren't to be sneered at and add a fusion gun for a one shot damage before trooping in.

Erm brightlances are long rang anti vehicle, fire dragons have a 12" range and need to be in 6" to roll 2D6. The dragons will be a high prority target, and are notihng more than a sacrifice unit and will die. Brightlances are very much needed. The Falcon also is a anti tank unit, it goes well with another anti tank unit - though I will add another weapon on them, I must have missed it

I won't be taking bladestorm, I don't want something which doesn't allow me to shoot for a turn and with the fire power they are dish out it will attract my opponents attention and they won't even make it back into the transport next turn.

Adding those jetbike guardians would work, but I'd keep them off the board in which the Autarch would come in useful for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Runes of warding are much better than runes of witnessing in a competitive list. Although if you're upgrading to Eldrad he gets these anyway. Shutting down your opponent's nasty psychic stuff anywhere on the table is huge, especially with all of those ld9 IG psykers out there.
    I don't play many which have psykers nor IG players either. I don't think adding wargear particularly for a particular unit in a particular army is a good idea, especially when I don't play that army much.

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    looking at your list these things I would be considering.
    though as ever the curse of the eldar ...never enough points

falcons spirit stones definatly and on as many vital transports
    falcons maybe holofield (expensive and it looks like ant tank is covered so this force may get away with out it)
    runes of warding ( lash armies have taught me this)
    upgrade autarch to yariel

dave l
    I'll probably add spirit stones to the falcons only, a no brainer would be to take these unit and make the fire dragons foot slog it.

I'm not worried about lash, its not massively used so much.

What benefits does that autarch character provide?

Veteran-Sergeant

I have been working on a list very similar to what you have there, except I took the following (keep in mind this is from memory and is "more or less" what I have):

HQ
    1) Yuriel -
    2) Autarch - w/ power weapon, fusion blaster (basically what you have)

Elites
    1) Between 7-10 fire dragons in a wave serpent w/brightlances/spirit stones

Troops
    3 x 10 Dire avengers with Exarch that has two catapults and bladestorm - wave serpents (same as fire dragon one)

Heavy Support
    2x Fire Prisims w/ holo fields
    3 Warwalkers w/ either 6 scatter lasers or 6 missile launchers. With the missile launchers you get 6 templates or 6 krak missiles at long range. I would probably do the scatter lasers myself since they scout you can keep at arms length and 24 str 6 shots is gross.

The reason for the two Autarchs instead of a farseer is because this entire army starts in reserve and everyone comes in on turn two on a 2+. I think bladestorm is much better then you give it credit for. The idea would be to come out and lay down 96 shots in one turn, hopefully nuking the main threat of your opponent, then getting back in next turn and picking their next target.

As far as adding 160 pts to your list I think putting Yriel in there for an extra 55 points would be awesome (power weapon that wounds on a 2+ and if he gets swarmed by a horde army he can kill many many things in one shot ), and just kitting out the rest of your tanks with spirit stones, maybe a holo field for the Prisim. GO ELDAR!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast