BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Are GW's policies negatively impacting your habits/attitudes towards the game?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO!! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GAWD!! WAAAAAGGHH!!

4 4.49%
  • Not really. I never paid that close attention to the online hype anyway.

14 15.73%
  • Don't know ... don't care.

6 6.74%
  • Yes. The lack of news and rumors means other things are commanding more of my attention.

57 64.04%
  • YES!! I HATE GW. PAPER CUTS AND LEMON JUICE ON ALL OF THEM!!

8 8.99%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Brother-Sergeant

This is totally killing a large part of the hobby for me. I love to collect and build and play (sometimes paint) but as for when I'm hangin' out with the wife on a weeknight while she watches "Jersey Bachelor Makeover Star" I like to read the rumor threads and dream up possible new armies.

Most companies would kill for so much free 'mind-share' but GW wants to sell their catalog White Dwarf and I don't think this will help. If they wanted to sell White Dwarf they would have to include actual articles instead of canned advertisements:

"Retrospect: why the Tyranid codex was a mistake"

- How much goodwill would it generate if you let the author explain his design choices honestly; "I wanted to create a book where the player would have to use synergies between the units to be effective. It's clear I missed the power-curve mark but here are some interesting combos I intended..."

How many GW haters would think "oh, they admit they missed the mark and it's nice to see they learned a lesson, cool."

Brother-Sergeant

It's funny because I've talked to many Black Shirts and district managers and the most consistent thing I hear about the business from them is that they're in a "niche market". Their marketing people need to heed that concept. When you are in a niche market you don't have normal customers; they 'own' the hobby and they consider themselves 'insiders' and I'm sure GW hates that.

However, it's pointless to fight against it; it's pointless to lament the annoyance it causes; it's pointless to market your products as toys. We all know model sales are considered when writing rules; we know Finecast was all about metal prices; we all know Codex Creep is real; if they'd just admit it and go from there, it'd be magic for their PR.

GW needs to get their act straight and understand their market. They need to understand that they're not a mainstream hobby and they never will be. They need to focus not on bringing everyone into the hobby, they need to focus on being the coolest company on the block with their core market. We'll take care of getting new people into the game.

A niche market has a much more symbiotic relationship between the seller and the consumer. It's not just a money and product exchange. It's an identity and a lifestyle for better or for worse. Embrace it and give us our rumors and candid discussions about the business and you'll be the coolest kid on the block again.

Quote Originally Posted by juliusb View Post
    This is totally killing a large part of the hobby for me. I love to collect and build and play (sometimes paint) but as for when I'm hangin' out with the wife on a weeknight while she watches "Jersey Bachelor Makeover Star" I like to read the rumor threads and dream up possible new armies.

Most companies would kill for so much free 'mind-share' but GW wants to sell their catalog White Dwarf and I don't think this will help. If they wanted to sell White Dwarf they would have to include actual articles instead of canned advertisements:

"Retrospect: why the Tyranid codex was a mistake"

- How much goodwill would it generate if you let the author explain his design choices honestly; "I wanted to create a book where the player would have to use synergies between the units to be effective. It's clear I missed the power-curve mark but here are some interesting combos I intended..."

How many GW haters would think "oh, they admit they missed the mark and it's nice to see they learned a lesson, cool."
    They'd have to actually do something about it. Which they are more then capable of doing, but actively choose not to. Even then they'd also have to explain why it took so long.

Honestly though, the tyranid faq is pretty damning proof they're confident they've done nothing wrong they haven't fixed.

Yes. The combination of prices, finecast, and news clampdown have severely dampened my enthusiasm for anything GW. I still like their models, but I have not bought any since the first finecast rumours and I see nothing on the horizon that will make me change that stance. I still like the background and the environment, but I cannot afford GW's version of this hobby anymore. And no matter what they say to the contrary, their models are not good enough to give me the value for money I expect out of them. JMO though...

Cheers, Gary

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by silashand View Post
    Yes. The combination of prices, finecast, and news clampdown have severely dampened my enthusiasm for anything GW. I still like their models, but I have not bought any since the first finecast rumours and I see nothing on the horizon that will make me change that stance. I still like the background and the environment, but I cannot afford GW's version of this hobby anymore. And no matter what they say to the contrary, their models are not good enough to give me the value for money I expect out of them. JMO though...

Cheers, Gary
    WOW. Considering what I know of your gaming career and back ground this is a potent statement.
    ...And I agree 100%
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345