BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Are GW's policies negatively impacting your habits/attitudes towards the game?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO!! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GAWD!! WAAAAAGGHH!!

4 4.49%
  • Not really. I never paid that close attention to the online hype anyway.

14 15.73%
  • Don't know ... don't care.

6 6.74%
  • Yes. The lack of news and rumors means other things are commanding more of my attention.

57 64.04%
  • YES!! I HATE GW. PAPER CUTS AND LEMON JUICE ON ALL OF THEM!!

8 8.99%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default Are GW's policy changing dampening enthusiasm for the game?

I'm speaking for myself here, but when we had "leaks" and previews, I found myself generally more interested in the game than I have been lately. Based on the level of activity around here, I'm thinking I may not be the only one. I'm also finding that I'm not spending nearly as much on the game as I used to. The constant barrage of "news" about the game meant that it wasn't ever very far from my thoughts. As a consequence, I found myself in my LGS more often, and as likely as not, I'd end up walking out of the store with something. Now ... I haven't been into my LGS in weeks. I've not visited GW's website in at least a week, and when I've gone there I haven't spent any time there at all. I've also not gone to ForgeWorld's website in awhile. I had been planning to buy some pre-Heresy armor for the Iron Hands concept army I'm putting together, but those plans have gone on hold ... again, because of a lack of enthusiasm. Right now I have no plans to buy a Void Raven when/if it comes out, whenever that may be (previously I had been).

So, the question is, has this media blackout put you into the doldrums? If so, have you noticed your habits towards the game changing because of it?

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Chapter-Master

I haven't been going to GWs website because the animation on the homepage for SoM always seems to slow me down more than it should .

I'm right with you though. I should be so much more jazzed about the next White Dwarf with the Sisters codex than I am. I'm not though, because I have no idea what to expect. As such, I'm not figuring it into my budget at all..... Instead, I'm buying a Raging Heroes Manticore (so much cooler than the GW one) and saving the rest of my July gaming budget for GenCon.

ForgeWorld is different for me because they do a solid job of releasing their newsletter. That helps a lot, and every time I get a new one I'm excited for it. Though, to be fair, most of the stuff I purhcase from there is used solely as a modelling/painting project as opposed to being used in everyday gaming...

A little, but its nothing new. When we go a few weeks with nothing but Forge World SM/IG releases and WarForge Chaos/Chaos Midget releases I get a bit disheartened, and if the rumours are slow as well I tent to get a bit bored and wonder around aimlessly poking my brothers with a stick or something.

At the moment though I'm extremely excited about SoM, also looking forward to seeing if they really will transofmr WD back into a hobby magazine like they claim.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

Massive yes it is on this one.
    Everything from the prices to the game play to the lack of info has really pushed me into other games. (gamers gotta game right?)
    I’m finding all sorts of cool stuff out there and tons of different companies are now getting my dollar rather then gw (and I'm having fun!)
    Last edited by Lord Azaghul; 07-12-2011 at 11:57 AM.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

I haven't bought anything at all recently. I haven't been in my local GW shop at all in two weeks (and before that it had become sporadic over the last two months as compared to the three times a week or more that it was earlier this year and before). I haven't been really even checking out the website either. In fact, I used to come here and the main BOLS site more often too. Consider that from when I started this hobby in 2008 to about two months ago, I have bought nearly 6000 points of Vanilla Marines (one and a half battle companies with enough additional elite choices to bring the total to two hundred Marine miniatures), 2000 points of Space Wolves, 1000 points of Guard, and had started a Grey Knight army. And it is not the fact that I have too much stuff either as I was planning to do at least one army from each Imperial force.

Frankly, between the price increase and the change in policy at GW, I have begun to lose interest.

I have been spending less on GW because of a lack of a job, no one hiring but my enthuesasim has died down a bit.

The problem is, we are not GW target audience. GW could give a flying fig if we get rumours or news or what not. We are not parents of tweens that come in spend money and then leave. That is GW target audience.

Ironically, reading the rumours, that might seem to change, with the changes of WD and what not. But time will tell. But for now, I am not really caring about what happens with GW 6th edtion could come or not, and I would really care.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Iron Father

I voted yes.

The constant drip drip drip of info and rumours w as a guarantee I would take notice of GW products I usually would pay non attention too. I know that now with the lack of advance info their new products are now passing me by with me non the wiser. So by not getting me excited about new minis etc I am much less likely flit from one new release to another, the upshot is it's saved me a ton of money. Good for me but not so much for GW, and as the results of the poll show I am not the only one. Hell I cancelled my WD sub because of the recent lemmingitis the company seems to be suffering from.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 07-12-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: **** spelling
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Ive been saving for storm of magic....and then i blew the budget lol. The rules are amazing the models are kickass and Im going to get more so I can do some crazy stuff to beat down my wife's brets.

Umm is GW doing anything else game wise? To be honest all ive cared about lately is SoM.

I made this account just now so i could post on this subject. My god the answer is yes, GW better do something because their losing me quickly. I am a relatively new player, only been playing for about 2 years, but do to the internet i feel like i have been playing this game for decades, hell im angry about squats and i honestly have never even seen a squat model. Back to the topic, GW is losing me quickly because of the lack of information and the changes in FaQs, at first the FaQs were making more sense but the latest one that just came out had this whopper of a question followed by a moronic response.

Q: When two special rules or effects contradict each
    other how is this resolved? (p2)
    A: Roll off using ‘The Most Important Rule!’.

What?
    Are you serious, do they even care about this game anymore?

I have recently been playing a new game, Infinity, and i gotta say Corvus Belli actually know how to make a miniatures game and they also care about what their customers want, they have been getting my hobby money the last two months. GW needs to realize their are other fish in the sea besides them because im dangerously close to selling off my half finished Grey knights army, and getting rid of my Space Sharks army. Heck if this keeps up i might even sell off my IG, who i love so much. They need to get a grip on their rules, go play Infinity, you don't get stupid answers like the one above. I used to think gw did a pretty good job FaQing and running their system, then i started playing Infinity and realized what a bloody mess it was. They also need to get a grip on prices, 25% price hike is almost unbearable. On top of that they have the current "Finecast" miscast debacle to deal with, which has infuriated players in my area because the LGS can't even sell "Finecast", and the nearest store that does has had endless problems with quality and has considered not caring the line at all. A 25% price hike for inferior product is completely unacceptable. Lastly this drought of information has forced me to not even take GW products into account in my budget. We need the info leaks to keep us hooked, without it were in danger of moving on to other products and systems. Im a huge tourney player and this info blackout has been so bad i have lost my interest in tournies, i haven't even bothered to check the results of wargames con, I just don't care and it all stems from bad business practices on GWs part.

Basically this is how i feel....

Last edited by WYSIWYG; 07-12-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Brother-Sergeant

Absolutely,but its all things GW working in concert,rather than any one thing in particular.In the past 5 years,I've gone from trying to collect at least 1500pts of each race,to wondering if any of it is worth keeping at all.The biggest factor for me,is that 40k has been around for 20 something years & can't put together a coherent edition before starting another one.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast