BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Are GW's policies negatively impacting your habits/attitudes towards the game?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO!! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GAWD!! WAAAAAGGHH!!

4 4.49%
  • Not really. I never paid that close attention to the online hype anyway.

14 15.73%
  • Don't know ... don't care.

6 6.74%
  • Yes. The lack of news and rumors means other things are commanding more of my attention.

57 64.04%
  • YES!! I HATE GW. PAPER CUTS AND LEMON JUICE ON ALL OF THEM!!

8 8.99%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

A couple of other things to note on this one:

1) There are still about the same amount of rumors out there (you should see our inbox), there just isn't the formal announcements from GW anymore.

2) This is the summer season which is traditionally the slow time when not a whole lot is released as most folks are out and about with vacations and such. Things pick up around mid August.

Personally, I think the worst decision on GW's part was the ending of the black boxes going to retailers. If the goal is to get folks going into stores, you have to give the stores something to draw in customers. Also, the lack of ability to forecast what is coming more than 10 days out is severely hampering retailers ability to gauge interest, plan events, and keep their local communities focussed on the "next big thing".

This policy change of course isn't happening in a vacuum. You can bet that the other big companies in the industry are watching very carefully, and their marketing departments are planning on how to best use this misstep on GW's part to maximize their sales and marketshare.

Believe me when I say that no one could be more pleased with GW's latest policy change than their competetors...
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Brother-Sergeant

This policy change of course isn't happening in a vacuum. You can bet that the other big companies in the industry are watching very carefully, and their marketing departments are planning on how to best use this misstep on GW's part to maximize their sales and marketshare.
    I couldn't agree more big red,it seem the only company not learning from GW's mistakes is GW (but not just recently,for about the last 8 years).

Iron Father

Talking

The funny thing is I jog along with the hobby and I still find fun in it as a whole, at the moment I am putting together an Iron Hands army and with a little converting, a few forge world bits and the new pre heresy dread ordered I am really genuinely loving my "hobby time". Then I read all the negative comments on different forums and think am I being made a mug of by GW and I start losing enthusiasm, not so much because of my experiences but what others have to say and I sympathise with them.

So yeah I suppose I am dampened a bit by GWs policy.......but then I either pick up a brush or roll some dice and all the negativity goes away.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

You are missing a "Yes, it caused me to defect to Privateer Press" option.
    caellachsector.blogspot.com
    This message made from 100% recycled electrons.

Chapter-Master

For me the equation is simple.

Do I like collecting and modelling and painting GW figures? Yes
    Do I like playing GW games? Yes.
    Do I have people to play with? Yes
    Do I have a selection of armies/gangs/warbands across a number of different formats that will give me variety of play styles? Yes
    Are there armies out there I like but don't currently own, meaning I can buy a new one at anytime, without having to impatiently wait to see what the new one will be in another 6 months? Yes

So why then, would information flow (or lack thereof) make any difference to my gaming habits? I'm always builidng and tweaking a number of different armies and whilst I do get excitied about new stuff coming and carefully plan and budget, I don't need it to make the hobby interesting for me. If the main thing keeping you interested in GW games is constantly waiting for the new releases, or you get narked by a company acting in a competitive fashion, then I humbly suggest that maybe this isn't the hobby for you. No love is perfect, you will always have rough patches and they will always have stupid habits that annoy you and make bad decisions that upset you but if you can't get past these, then it's time to get out of the relationship.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    . No love is perfect, you will always have rough patches and they will always have stupid habits that annoy you and make bad decisions that upset you but if you can't get past these, then it's time to get out of the relationship.
    I do apperciate that you classified it as a relationship, because it is!

For me it wasn't the info stuff - it was everything else. I do agree with you, and I have broken up with GW (and it wasn't a clean break!); however I wouldn't say this isn't the hobby for me (I so enjoy painting, modeling and gaming), but I would say, my gw enthusiasm is pretty much dead - and I would also say that this isn't the company for me to continue supporting.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by WereWolf_nr View Post
    You are missing a "Yes, it caused me to defect to Privateer Press" option.

Actually hes missing a "Yes, it caused me to defect to Privateer Press. Then after months of playing warmahordes and realizing that its the exact same thing as 40K and GW, I defected again to Infinity" option.

Quote Originally Posted by WYSIWYG View Post
    Actually hes missing a "Yes, it caused me to defect to Privateer Press. Then after months of playing warmahordes and realizing that its the exact same thing as 40K and GW, I defected again to Infinity" option.
    lol. In a few months expect "Are PP's policies dampening your enthusiasm for the game?" polls to appear.
    caellachsector.blogspot.com
    This message made from 100% recycled electrons.

I stopped caring about rumors when I realized there wasn't going to be a second wave of tyranid releases in anything even approximating what I consider to be an appropriate amount of time, never mind the tyranid faq. So way back when I started spending my money on casting supplies for terrain. In addition I started Cygnar and Circle Orboros forces.

More rescently I picked up a few finecast models, returned them, found some that weren't garbage, but that was mostly as a test for "Look and Feel". I won't be buying anymore. Past that I have no idea when I'll send money GW's way again, my wm/h armies get updated every year so there's no room left for GW in my budget.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by WYSIWYG View Post
    Q: When two special rules or effects contradict each
    other how is this resolved? (p2)
    A: Roll off using ‘The Most Important Rule!’.
    I'm confused why this was even FAQ'd. It's quite literally in the rulebook, and has been the rule since 3rd.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast