BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 2500 IG 'ard Boyz Practice-Not sure how to call it

Evening gents...got a 'ard Boyz practice tourney tomorrow. Going to play IG for this one as I don't have enough experience with my Salamanders...

Command Squad-285
    Creed
    MoO
    Astropath
    Autocannon
    2X Snipers
    Chimera

Al Raheem PLT-710
    -PCS-Al Raheem w/ 4X Melta
    -5X Infantry Sqds- Flamer, PW Sgts
    -5X Commissar- 2 Plas P, 5X PW

Mech PLT-635
    -PCS- 4X Melta-Chimera
    -4X Infantry Sqds-Flamer, 2 squads w/ Autocannon, Chimeras

Valkyrie-MR Pods, Heavy Bolters
    Vendetta
    Vendetta

Basilisk
    Basilisk
    Vanquisher-Pask, Hull LC

Idea behind this is it covers all bases. Plenty of scoring units, plenty of bodies, plenty of armored units. Has short range anti tank, anti horde, and enough long range anti tank and horde.

Tempted to use Creed to outflank Pask's Vanquisher but not sure if I really need Creed for this list?

Thoughts?

Brother-Sergeant

A Commissar for each squad in the power blob is a huge point sink. What is effectively a 15 sergeant with a power weapon is a decent deal, 45 points for a commissar with a power weapon is only a good deal if you don't already have another commissar giving stubborn. Also, plasma pistols on commissars is a truly awful idea. A 45 point model that can kill itself with ease? I'd be reluctant to put a plasma pistol on a marine sergeant much less a 5+ save commissar.

Chapter-Master

I use plasma pistols on marines all the time. Those shots are important. I have won games with those plasma shots. Blown up tanks, take off a monstrous creature wound, edge out a marine squad in bodies.

Little feedback on this list....

I ended up dropping the 2 bassies and 1 of the mech plt's squads for a pair of vanilla Russes and Marbo

Went 1 and 2 today with it. The 1 win was a complete massacre versus a Blood Angel army. To be fair though he was newer to the game and I stole initiative on him.

This list lost versus a Dark Eldar and Deathwing list. I lost to the DE because of losing the initiative, poor target selection, unfamiliarity with DE, and Night Fight first turn. I lost to the Deathwing because of the blob epic failing some rolls in close combat and forgetting to fire my Vendetta twice!

Good
    -MoO-Holy poo. This guy every game earned his points. 30 pts for basically a basilisk shot each turn is awesome.
    -Sniper Rifle/Autocannon command combo-they complement each other decently
    -Plas Pistols on Commies-BS4 pistols knocked out tanks and high point models all day
    -Marbo-Demo Charge surprise always put a smile on my face. Deathwing player however did not lol when the charge took out three terminators in one go.
    -Pask-When he kills, he does it well, 'nough said.

Meh
    -2 Vanilla Russes-not sure if they were worth it. They did ok , but the AP3 was hurting them versus the damn Deathwing, they'd hit 5, wound 4, and have them all be saved.
    -Al Raheem PLT-sure people freak the eff out when they see 55+ guardsmen on their flank but in a non all foot, it feels like a huge points sink.
    -Valkyrie- I didn't fight real horde today(40 Deathwing termies felt like horde though!) so I'm not sure how it would have fared against orcs or 'nids but I felt like I could have done more with a third Vendetta.

Bad
    -Mech PLT's PCS- thinking to switch for Plasma Guns somehow. Most games they got hosed and did nothing.

If I continue to evolve this list it will require some big changes.