BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Latest Tyranid Codex :(

Just wanted to bring this evil creation back into the forefront of our 40K related hate-fest.

First thing, what happened? One minute me and my fellow Nid player are happily charging around with our Carnifex's, Grubblies and god only knows what other monstrocities and then the next we were sitting, with a new codex that made us all cry. Now we have to survive on scratch built models, asmost things with a model in the 'dex are next to useless.

Rage, Splutter, Damn thee GW!

No this world is theirs!

Veteran-Sergeant

Ultimately, the book is a let-down because it is written by the same author who gave us Imperial Guard. You were all probably expecting something more powerful, but instead got a mish-mash of necessary units stuck in the Elites slot, poorly written special rules and poor FAQ rulings.

I don't think it's really a problem with Tyranids, as much as it is a problem with the author. Take a look at guard. They were basically given psychic powers, and the undercosting of the Valk/Vendetta (Still doesn't make sense from a fluff standpoint) is an obvious ploy to sell new kits. (It's in the same slot as the Sentinel)

I'm not saying Imperial Guard are over-powered. I'm just saying they're poorly designed, as are Nids. I'll give him a bit of a break, because these were his first books, and was probably pressured to sell a lot of vehicle boxes.

Not as bad a Fantasy Matt Ward, though. Compare Codex: Daemons to the old Orc book (also Ward), and you'll see the terrible power-creep that took place and ruined that game.

Librarian

Oh no!! You can't have your 6-8 4+ wound MC running amuck destroying the enemy!!

This current 'nid codex seems to be what a nid army should be. That is lots of little bugs working with the bigger bugs. One just needs to adjust his army and/or playstyle.

I will agree with the lack of models for stuff in the codex though. That is poor showing on GW's part.

Veteran-Sergeant

Why the sensible banter? Poor show.
    No this world is theirs!

GW changed the Nid's playstyle between editions. Bugs went from being all about big bugs and swarms of little bugs to being an integrated, synergistic army that lives and dies on good tactics. Most people really dislike the points costing in the new codex, especially the Monstrous Creatures (who are all, arguably, over-costed (for an army that relies on them as their muscle)). Many also hate the loss of unit customization - Nids went from being the most customizable (and thus potentially adaptable) army in the game to being just like every other army. People also hate what they see as GW's blatant money grabbing - Everyone owned Carnifexes, so the 5th ed book made Carnifexed is too expensive points-wise. At the same time GW released several new kits and made their points cost more reasonable, at least compared to the alternatives (i.e. the Trygon, Hive Guard, etc.).

Personally, I think the Tyranids are the worst 5th edition codex, and I say that as a guy who has been a bug player for years and years. This fact is doubly true now that Grey Knights have become so popular (the sheer number of Force Weapons they can muster really puts the kibosh on lots of Monstrous Creatures, and units like the Purifiers really harm swarm tactics).

Honestly, the best Nid lists out there now-a-days are those that are well rounded and have a good player behind them.

The Tyranid Codex is a perfect example of a release in which almost every aspect was handled incredibly poorly. It's what's considered by most to be the worst overall Codex release in GW history.

Jan 2010: Tyranid Codex is released and immediately the community notices the problems. Many units seem terribly overcosted. Iconic units become laughably bad. (i.e.:Lictors). Older builds and options are rendered useless or illegal so Tyranid players are forced to spend tons of money on new stuff just to have a viable army. Key units and options have no available models to this day (Tervigons, Mycetic Spores, Lashwhips and Boneswords etc.) Numerous rules are poorly written, make no sense, flat out don't work in the actual game and/or are so vague they become open to interpretation. An FAQ is desperately needed just to make this book usable. Right out of the gate, the Tyranid Codex is considered an grossly underpowered book.

6 months later.....

July 2010:The Tyranid Codex finally gets it's FAQ, strangely enough on the exact same day as the Blood Angels who barely needed one yet waited half the time, as if GW didn't think the Tyranid FAQ important enough to release on it's own. This FAQ did fix certain ambiguities but also answered questions no one asked and nerfed certain parts of an already struggling book for seemingly no valid reason. Most Tyranid players scream a collective "WTF??" across the internet.

Couple this with the two most recent army releases, Dark Eldar and Grey Knights, both of which have abilities that seem custom made to give Tyranids an incredibly hard time.

GW did everything it could to screw the pooch when it came to the Tyranids.

No other Codex release, not even 4th ed. Chaos Marines has caused as much unhappiness amongst it's players as this Tyranid Book. And while the CSMs (who admittedly had the flavor and theme of their army gutted) are still regulars at tourmaments and can make some varied and competative builds, fewer and fewer Tyranid armies are seen on tables each passing month, and many serious tournament players consider them effectively dead for serious competitive play. Dead, only a year and a half after release.

So why is this? Is it that "Tyranid players are just whiny", "Tyranid players can't adapt to a new play style", "Tyranid players just suck" or any other ignorant dismissive crap like that?

Or is it a much simpler explanation. One that Tyranid players have been screaming for a year and a half and that some people (mostly those who don't play Tyranids interestingly enough) continue to ignore.

Very simply, this is a terrible, terrible Codex.

I am just wondering why the original poster is saying this now? This is old news unless his/her intention was to bring it up to the front again so GW will notice it.

@mega doomer you are sort of wrong. When you said no other codex brought this much anguish as the 4th ed Chaos codex, you are wrong. The Dark Angels codex brought out the most. Not from the DA players but from the Space Marine Players. They are the ones who complained and cried the most and hence why we have the Ultramrine Codex, Space Wolves and Grey Knights now.

I guess this is GW way of making the SM codex not as week compared to the Tyranids otherwise SM players will be complaining and crying agian.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Megad00mer View Post
    The Tyranid Codex is a perfect example of a release in which almost every aspect was handled incredibly poorly. It's what's considered by most to be the worst overall Codex release in GW history.

Jan 2010: Tyranid Codex is released and immediately the community notices the problems. Many units seem terribly overcosted. Iconic units become laughably bad. (i.e.:Lictors). Older builds and options are rendered useless or illegal so Tyranid players are forced to spend tons of money on new stuff just to have a viable army. Key units and options have no available models to this day (Tervigons, Mycetic Spores, Lashwhips and Boneswords etc.) Numerous rules are poorly written, make no sense, flat out don't work in the actual game and/or are so vague they become open to interpretation. An FAQ is desperately needed just to make this book usable. Right out of the gate, the Tyranid Codex is considered an grossly underpowered book.

6 months later.....

July 2010:The Tyranid Codex finally gets it's FAQ, strangely enough on the exact same day as the Blood Angels who barely needed one yet waited half the time, as if GW didn't think the Tyranid FAQ important enough to release on it's own. This FAQ did fix certain ambiguities but also answered questions no one asked and nerfed certain parts of an already struggling book for seemingly no valid reason. Most Tyranid players scream a collective "WTF??" across the internet.

Couple this with the two most recent army releases, Dark Eldar and Grey Knights, both of which have abilities that seem custom made to give Tyranids an incredibly hard time.

GW did everything it could to screw the pooch when it came to the Tyranids.

No other Codex release, not even 4th ed. Chaos Marines has caused as much unhappiness amongst it's players as this Tyranid Book. And while the CSMs (who admittedly had the flavor and theme of their army gutted) are still regulars at tourmaments and can make some varied and competative builds, fewer and fewer Tyranid armies are seen on tables each passing month, and many serious tournament players consider them effectively dead for serious competitive play. Dead, only a year and a half after release.

So why is this? Is it that "Tyranid players are just whiny", "Tyranid players can't adapt to a new play style", "Tyranid players just suck" or any other ignorant dismissive crap like that?

Or is it a much simpler explanation. One that Tyranid players have been screaming for a year and a half and that some people (mostly those who don't play Tyranids interestingly enough) continue to ignore.

Very simply, this is a terrible, terrible Codex.
    Yeah, pretty much this 100%. Couldn't of said it better then myself. If DE weren't released in the fashion they were (ie the EXACT opposite as Tyranids) then I wouldn't be playing 40k in any way right now. As it stands I now have an army I love to play and paint with a very deep, well thought out/written codex that will keep me going for years. My 4500pts+ of Tyranids are sitting in their case in storage waiting till someone who can actually write a decent codex (read: not overpowered...just a well written one) puts the next version of this book out and recaptures the flavor and feel of my favorite army.

Stopped playing nids and sold my army because of this book. I play CSM and Orks now.
    =U
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

I have no problem with the book but a hughe problem with the fact that there are still 4 important kits missing (in order of relevance):

1) Mycetic Spore (whole new army concept for tyranids. prolly the first army to do droppoding right)
    2) Tervigon (great HQ & even greater Troop Model)
    3) Tyrannofex (only thing even remotely fitting as "long range anti-tank")
    4) Harpy (a fast MC that doesnt cost your arm & leg like the winged tyrant even though you only get t5 4+ for survivability is something that could bring a new spin to things).

And to a lesser extend swords & lashwhips for warriors and tyrant guards.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast