BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberscape7 View Post
    My question is what was going through Robbin Cruddaces head when he thought of fex squads of 3. Oh sure, you can have 3 Carnifex's in a squad! Which nid player wouldnt want that? By the way its 480 points base for the squad... And more to the point, each of the models in the squad has to be equipped the EXACT same way. So the most alien, diverse army in the universe has the strongest sense of uniformity? WTF!?
    Ok rant over
    No kidding right? But if you think about it from a fluff standpoint, the army focuses on creating the most evolutionary efficient bio-mutations. So feasibly it would make sense for uniformity if you think about it, because they wouldn't use something inefficient when it would be more biologically viable to make all the same thing in the hive.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

I don't have an issue with a brood of fexes, or anything for that matter, being uniformly equipped, but I have an issue with a base fex costing as much as it does. I want to use a brood of them and I want to make them melee monsters (maybe screamer-killers? Woo!), but I can't help but feel at the end of the day they will just get destroyed... not to mention take up about half of my armies points.

Also where are the flesh hooks? EVERYTHING could have flesh hooks in the last codex. And now a Lictor has them...... only the lictor.... shame I have this box of flesh hook bits because every model under the sun in the last edition could have them. If I didn't mind ruining the model I'd buy a lictor and glue every flesh hooks bit I had to emphasize how silly it is that no one else in the army can technically carry them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberscape7 View Post
    My question is what was going through Robbin Cruddaces head when he thought of fex squads of 3. Oh sure, you can have 3 Carnifex's in a squad! Which nid player wouldnt want that? By the way its 480 points base for the squad... And more to the point, each of the models in the squad has to be equipped the EXACT same way. So the most alien, diverse army in the universe has the strongest sense of uniformity? WTF!?
    Ok rant over
    Well, to be fair, if they could be all equipped differently, you'd have the most ultimate wound-allocation shennanigans of everity. You'd be able to take like, 15 wounds before removing a single model, all with T:Bajillion. Yeah, balance? They don't care about balance!
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Shas'o

I just wish more people would play tyranids... I just want to kill some bugs but no one around here will touch them.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by JxKxR View Post
    I just wish more people would play tyranids... I just want to kill some bugs but no one around here will touch them.
    too bad, i play the crap out of them myself, even with the ****ty codex it is still a cool and fun army and I still do fairly well, just have to play my cards right.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Chaplain

Well, I havent abandoned my nids just yet. I still remain hopeful that Phil Kelly will one day return and save the Hive mind. Till then, I recently "fixed" some of my model to make them better. So far I have succeeded in making them better bar one unit. My Raveners have all been built with the deathspitter body, which I now realise I never use and never will probably. I'm figuring I'll just say it counts as having no gun; hopefully my opponents will be sympathetic cuz I'm a victim of 1st degree nerfs
    Master Bryss and I build conversions IN A SHED. WITH CLIPPERS N' GLUE!
    Hi, I'm Titans newest recruit. PREPARE TO BE PURGED!!!

Librarian

They really do remain a fun army despite the issue of competitiveness. I suspect that problem is really more of a issue in large, serious tournaments. For casual players and small tourneys, the Nids can still dish out some hurt if you play your cards right and the dice don't abandon you.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkencorgimaster View Post
    They really do remain a fun army despite the issue of competitiveness. I suspect that problem is really more of a issue in large, serious tournaments. For casual players and small tourneys, the Nids can still dish out some hurt if you play your cards right and the dice don't abandon you.
    I think the codex as it is would be pretty good with a FAQ points rebalance, and a tweak of some of the rules. The rediculous cost of some of the models is really the only truly bad thing. I mean the TFEX costs 25 more points than a frelling landraider and only has two shots. Costs twice as much as a hammerhead and only has one more shot than a railgun hammerhead. Yet both of those have either sponsons, or additional weapons, its kind of crappy if you think about it.

But I would love it if they would release the boneswords and lashwips for warriors already.

I initially didn't realize just how expensive the tyranid monstrous creatures were until talking to some people at the local GWS. Maybe they will re-faq it and rebalance some of the points? Has anything like that ever been done before? Maybe they'll release a couple of new kits for the harpy, terivgon, t-fex, ect. and add another faq too!

...I can hope

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Rose Widow View Post
    I think the codex as it is would be pretty good with a FAQ points rebalance, and a tweak of some of the rules. The rediculous cost of some of the models is really the only truly bad thing. I mean the TFEX costs 25 more points than a frelling landraider and only has two shots. Costs twice as much as a hammerhead and only has one more shot than a railgun hammerhead. Yet both of those have either sponsons, or additional weapons, its kind of crappy if you think about it.

But I would love it if they would release the boneswords and lashwips for warriors already.
    For most part I would agree with you. One of the main issues with the book is how Cruddace grossly overestimated how powerful Monstrous Creatures without an invuln save are and how powerful Multi Wound T4 creatures are.

With no invuln save a Carnifex is the same as 4 space marines vs. krak missiles. It wouldn't be so bad if it was easier to get a 2+ save OR things were priced properly. I agree that certain things were too cheap in the last codex...but not by that much. Our current Hive Tyrant set up exactly how he is now should be 130-140pts max. They really aren't very good at all (4 attacks in CC...big deal). Carnifexs should be about 120pts base and Harpies (which are the most overcosted unit in the book hands down) should be about 100pts base or completely different stats.

The other big thing deals with Tyranid warriors. I wish they were either T4, 2W (like they have always been) and were 20pts each - OR - same cost but were T5, 2W. As it goes now unless you throw lashwhips/boneswords on them they really aren't good for anything. The other T4 creature (Raveners) would be amazing if they were just 30pts each WITH rending claws. If you could take biomorphs for them even better.

I think most people will agree that there are some good ideas in this book. Things like all the deployment options and the ideas behind a lot of the creatures. Where it falls apart is that it just feels massively rushed and NO ONE ever edited it. I would give ANYTHING for a "Tyranids 5th ed version 2.0" like they did with the old Dark Elf Army book (the 6th ed one?). I would happily pay $35 for it without any complaints. It would be a dead easy release too. Just it and the Tervigon kit would have the Tyranid population over the moon.
    Last edited by Ghoulio; 07-21-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast