BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default How does the 6th ed rumors affect Grey Knights?

So, soon after the original hype and personal excitement had faded from my new valiant army, i saw the blunt truth behind all the shiny trinkets and gadgets: Grey Knights are rather simple "spam psycannons and hope its enough" -army. I've had fun with it, but there are many fundamental issues that are really putting my mood down. So, when i heard that there was a new edition of rules incoming, that included some fundamental gameplay changes, it got me thinking..

I am definately not the best at intepreting meanings of rules,meanings and wordings, so here is where your understanding comes along. Could all of you capable of, and have a little spare time, please enlight me how the rumors currently leaked would affect general play on the point of Grey Knight?

Clarifications and points from all angles are welcome, be that competitive tourney scene or just fun with your friends matches (and lists/builds/tactics)

Personally I try to avoid to the last 3x psyrifleman builds, inquisitors and henchmen, and general psycannon spams, (yet the last is highly unavoidable due to certain challenges that our small gaming group offers for me )

Yet don't be shy to shed light to even to those builds that include stuff from Codex: Grey Knights that I shun.

Chapter-Master

If vehicle get nerfed, good, because GKs don't rely on lots of rhinos/chimeras or razorbacks like Space Wolves, IG or BA.

Personally I try to avoid to the last 3x psyrifleman builds, inquisitors and henchmen, and general psycannon spams, (yet the last is highly unavoidable due to certain challenges that our small gaming group offers for me )

If you're trying to avoid taking psycannons for the sake of not taking psycannons, why do you play Grey Knights? And since when were inquisitors spammy, aside from Coteaz? And even then? Wtf? Just take the army you want to play.

Anti-spammers are the hipsters of 40k.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post

But every troop in my army is a unique beautiful snowflake! Just like armies in real life!
    http://warhammermusings.blogspot.com/

Let the haters hate and so on, right?

The beginning of the post was meant to be as a some sort of explanation rather than rant (which apparantly failed badly)

And since when were inquisitors spammy, aside from Coteaz? And even then?
    My point was: I hope(d) for pure grey knight army, without inquisitors and their henchmen. I've got around 5k points worth of Imperial Guard, so if i wanted to play with humans i could and would choose them.

and
    If you're trying to avoid taking psycannons for the sake of not taking psycannons,
    why do you play Grey Knights?
    Is there something wrong in hoping for even some alternatives (in general playstyle that is)?
    I mean, assault oriented armies do have many ways and options for the assaultness just like shooty army like imperial guard has lots of different weapon options for lots of different units..

Grey Knights: 24" supershooters, that has roughly put, only one viable weapon to take. It has just left me wondering for the lack of possibilities - hence the questions about rumors.. I've understood it so, that there are many codexes out so far that have been designed with the 6th ed. in mind. Thats why i was asking in the first place: Anything about the rumors that would change this? Make some of the weapons more worth taking, or ..i don't know.. even superb compared to psycannon? ..Also, any hints about the melee prowess of GK? or something that would affect their current 'meta game' in either shooting of melee manner?

But every troop in my army is a unique beautiful snowflake! Just like armies in real life!
    Something of a completely unnecessary sarcasm. And it doesn't even contribute to the original question in any way..

In this rumers about this new edition is true high volume of fire weapons like heavy bolters are very awsome if you can take mutiplies of them in the same squad. This is because every 5th wound you inflict to a squad, you get to place.

Also the rumors would nerf wound allocation abuse paladins.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
    Grey Knights: 24" supershooters, that has roughly put, only one viable weapon to take. It has just left me wondering for the lack of possibilities - hence the questions about rumors.. I've understood it so, that there are many codexes out so far that have been designed with the 6th ed. in mind. Thats why i was asking in the first place: Anything about the rumors that would change this? Make some of the weapons more worth taking, or ..i don't know.. even superb compared to psycannon? ..Also, any hints about the melee prowess of GK? or something that would affect their current 'meta game' in either shooting of melee manner?
    I don't know about that. While I'm not a fan of the Psilencer, I think a minimum Purgation squad in a Razorback with four free Incinerators will do terrible, terrible things to anything outside of a vehicle.

Brother-Sergeant

-Wound allocation: sniper weapons allow your choice of allocation every 2nd wound/units every 5 wounds inflicted from shooting you get to choose One model to snipe.

-Special Characters and squad leaders/SGT's can be picked out in Close Combat but get Both + & ++ saves same with shooting and can snipe

-cover saves are less

-deepstrikeing with-in 12" of opposeing unit more dangerous,12"-18" the same as now and over 18" no scatter or perils....

-Proper Flyer rules

-Objective scoring, on how many turns you hold an objective as opposed to just who has it last,makes hard decision makeing about applying focussed pressure or splitting your force...

-More Phases: Prepare,Move,Assault,Melee,Shoot,Special Movement(eg. jet packs),Consolidate?
    Can't quite remember,something like that.....IF ASSAULT MEANS YOU CAN USE ASSAULT WEAPONS BEFOR MELEE THEN...?!?!?!

nothin that hurts GK too much by the rumours so far
    Last edited by Lucian Kain; 07-22-2011 at 06:36 AM.

Chapter-Master

I like the deepstrike rumor. It's good for GKs, since everything can deepstrike but you don't have to land close to anything to do damage. And flyer rules might be really good for Storm Ravens, potentially.

The beginning of the post was meant to be as a some sort of explanation rather than rant (which apparantly failed badly)
    Nah, it's cool, I just like occasionally making jokes at other's expense if they give me the opportunity. Don't take anything I say seriously.

My point was: I hope(d) for pure grey knight army, without inquisitors and their henchmen. I've got around 5k points worth of Imperial Guard, so if i wanted to play with humans i could and would choose them.

Is there something wrong in hoping for even some alternatives (in general playstyle that is)?
    I mean, assault oriented armies do have many ways and options for the assaultness just like shooty army like imperial guard has lots of different weapon options for lots of different units..
    Ah, ok, sounded like you said you didn't want Inquisitors or psycannons simply because they were too spammy. I think that in and of itself is silly so I made fun of it, but if you have actual reasons that's cool.

Grey Knights: 24" supershooters, that has roughly put, only one viable weapon to take. .
    Pretty much. GK weapons can be summed up as: Psycannons are awesome. Incinerators are cool, but not nearly as good as psycannons. Psilencers are horrible.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.