BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    \there may be generic acts of faith
    Why would they separate the generic Acts of Faith from the rules on Acts of Faith?

Far be it for I to suggest GW is anything other than mouth-breathing moronic simpletons when it comes to their handling of Sisters, but it still seems unlikely.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Well it isn't likely but as we lack the army list section it is possible there will be options to buy extra powers or some such. Point is we don't have the full picture yet, we don't even know we have every page of the bestiary. Don't get me wrong it is still dissapointing and stupid, the whole thing, I'm just saying we don't know everything yet and there may be some mitigation once we do have the full picture.

Another thing that really annoys me, they bring back two 2nd ed codex priest characters, but not Saint Praxedes or Helena the Virtuous? Stupid.
    Last edited by eldargal; 07-24-2011 at 12:16 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    You mean aside from the overly complicated, limited, and linear (shoehorning each unit into a role) acts of faith, the complete lack of any leadership buff for the entire army, the nerf to the initiative of Sisters veterans, etc?

If Sisters are turned into cheap cannon fodder, what's the point? You might as well play guard if you want a horde of cheap cannon fodder-- at least then you'd have tanks and artillery to back them up. It goes completely and utterly against the feel and purpose of the Sisters of Battle.
    Entirely agreed. This is boring trash. There's no feeling of religious fervour in ordinary abilities, or any feeling of the Emperor's favour in Acts of Faith.

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Well it isn't likely but as we lack the army list section it is possible there will be options to buy extra powers or some such. Point is we don't have the full picture yet, we don't even know we have every page of the bestiary. Don't get me wrong it is still dissapointing and stupid, the whole thing, I'm just saying we don't know everything yet and there may be some mitigation once we do have the full picture.
    Sure, and the US might end up having a Green Party as president :P
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Indeed, I'm just saying we don't have all the facts yet. I do like the changes to Saint Celestine though, maybe if the Sisters get some really impressive wargear options things won't be so bad?

On the plus side, no mention of the Inquisition at all.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Suffice it to say, Every Single Bad Thing I've had to say about this codex was absolutely right. They aren't even releasing plastics-- the codex just re-used old miniatures, art, and photos of miniatures from previous codices. No new units, three units were merged into one unit (crusaders, arco-flagellants, death cult are now one squad type where you purchase X amount of each). A couple old characters from second edition brought back; Kyrinov looks incredibly generic and not actually all that helpful to the army, but Jacobus shows promise and looks to be powerful enough to justify taking. Seraphim and Celestians have been nerfed to I3. All units have precisely ONE Act of faith and pretty much all of them suck except for the Repentia power. Which is useless if they're killed in shooting (like they usually are) instead of in assault. Acts of Faith no longer scale with army size, you get D6 no matter how many units you have-- making Battle Sisters all the worse for it. Immolators lost their fire point and the ability to fire after moving full out with TLHFs, so now they really are just razorbacks. And useless.

Only a few good notes: Bolt pistols and frag/krak are standard. Shield of Faith applies to vehicles, and they get smoke for free (but no searchlights). Seraphim shoot with each pistol individually, but they lose their special hit and run rule and must now make initiative tests to use hit and run... at their new reduced initiative of I3. The Penitent Engine gets extra attacks for unsaved wounds it makes, so it hits harder, but it's still AV11 open topped so it'll again not actually make it into combat anyway, especially since it's now slower than in the previous codex (holy rage was superior to rage). Celestians gain an extra attack, but their act of faith sucks for assaulting (+1 strength is nice, but fearless ISN'T on I3 / T3 models). Canoness gains +1 WS, but with the loss of the armoury I doubt we'll be able to use it--a nd she's still merely I4. Living Saint Celestine gains in WS, BS, and Initiative, but she's still a T3 model without eternal warrior. Her sword' wounds easier against high T models... which to her is anything other than a guardsman, whom she wounds LESS often now than before. And it's no longer master-crafted.

So every single good thing I had to say about it was countered by a bad thing. Overall, I was right, it does blow JUST as much as I was expecting... but I'm still sorely disappointed about that fact. And the sad part, it's not over yet. Now we get to see what stupid points costs they're going to give and waht we lost from losing our armoury.
    It take a lot for me to agree with you on anything, but in this case i have to. Regardless of unit price, this "codex" isn't just rushed, it actively diminishes and devalues the units in question, the thematic strengths of the army, and frankly is a stain on White Dwarf itself which is a stunning achievement for something that is largely reviled now by many veteran gamers. I am going to properly read through the article asap, and unless there are unreported elements of this codex that can severely change my mind I will be writing to let GW know that they may have lost my interest and enthusiasm as a customer and player of the very army they are trying to sell me.

d6 Faith Points per-turn is pretty disappointing. Couldn't they have gone with something a bit less random, like 2d3 so there's some kind of bell curve? How about rolling 2d6 and taking whichever die has the higher value? And the fact that you have to roll a single d6 again to determine whether or not the Act of Faith even triggers is even more absurd. It's riverboat gambling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockark View Post
    I don't see anything GREAT in thows two pages, but don't see anything bad either. The points coasts are what will make or break this book.
    In the age of wound allocation and massive amounts of AP3 or better firepower out there, Sisters just got shafted hard. This is the worst PDF "codex" I could possibly have envisioned and I don't care how low costed they are, unless they are 2pts per model and unlimited squad sizes it won't matter one whit what the rest of the rules say. Effing ridiculous if they think this will bring in even one new Sisters player. Frankly, it will probably drive the few of us who remain away ...

Sisters are Guardsmen with a 3+ and magic praying powers. I don't know what you people were expecting considering your previous Codex.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Sisters are Guardsmen with a 3+ and magic praying powers. I don't know what you people were expecting considering your previous Codex.
    Gee, not downgrading stats would be a start. Making sure the list was at least as good as the 11+ year old book we have now would be a good second.

Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast