BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Lockark View Post
    More like their shooting more accurate. Rending represents a bullet/shot hitting the weak spot in someone's Armour. It other represents a weapon that's accurate enough, or shoots fast enough to accomplish this. I.E Sniper Rifles and Assault Cannons.

I don't know what the official fluff explanation in the new book is. But so me it sound like the sisters concentrating to gun down the enemy they hate so much.

Sigh. This is not new at all. The whole army can do that in the old codex and now only one squad as a heavy support choice can.

That's like taking power from pain and drugs from dark eldar, split up the effects to different squads. Example wytches only get drugs and d6 movement. Warriors only get fearless, etc.

After doing that you roll d6 to see which unit can use it's effects and by the way you still have to earn pain tokens.

I'll agree that the chopping up of the Faith System was a serious blow to the faction, but I don't think it had to be their death sentence. They could have very easily done this:
    • Remove Faith Points from the codex. I like resource management, but if Acts of Faith are really supposed to be a defining part of the army, they shouldn't rely on a pair of single d6 rolls (one to generate Faith Points, one to trigger an Act of Faith). It's too volatile of a mechanic.
    • Make Acts of Faith trigger on a successful Leadership check.
    • Act of Faith rolls are made at the beginning of the player's movement phase.
    • A unit may only make one Act of Faith roll per round. Attached Independent Characters may also make an Act of Faith roll. A unit's and attached Independent Character's Acts of Faith apply to both the unit and the IC.
    • Add an extra Act called "Bastion of Faith" to every unit allowing them to up their Shield of Faith Invulnerable Save to 4+.

This would effectively remove options from the codex in accordance to the current design philosophy while also still leaving options between the unit-specific Act and the generic Bastion of Faith. It also reduces the randomness of the single d6 mechanic. You could theoretically add a penalty for failed Act of Faith checks like "A unit that fails an Act of Faith check may not use Acts of Faith during the next round". Have appropriately costed (i.e. costly) wargear available that allows a unit to reroll (Icon Bearer) or roll once per game for two Acts in one turn (Relic).

The current rules are just so unimaginative and uninspired. GW has to get it out of their heads that rolling a single d6 solves all problems. It's certainly appropriate for resolving attacks, wounds, and saves, but there are much better alternatives available for other things that need some kind of accompanying random mechanic.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by relasine; 07-24-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Is anyone going to be quitting SoB now or just shelving them till whenever a proper codex comes out, or suck it up like a DA player and be stubborn and keep playing?
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    Sigh. This is not new at all. The whole army can do that in the old codex and now only one squad as a heavy support choice can.

That's like taking power from pain and drugs from dark eldar, split up the effects to different squads. Example wytches only get drugs and d6 movement. Warriors only get fearless, etc.

After doing that you roll d6 to see which unit can use it's effects and by the way you still have to earn pain tokens.

As I already said. I don't see a issue with making the Sisters units more focused/specialized, I also don't get why everyone is acting like chicken little and the sky is falling when they only have half the codex. (Witch most people complaining haven't even seen all of the 1st half. just a page or so.) As far as I'm aware we don't even have the war gear section of the book until sept.

It's more logical to sit down with the new book once it's fully out and then pick it apart. Comparing it to the last book proves nothing, and we can keep argueing about it untill we're blue in the face.

But once it's full out and people can start putting together 5th ed lists, That is what matters most. How dose the list as a whole preforms in the current game.
    Last edited by Lockark; 07-24-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

The codex gets worse with every new post in this thread apparently.
    Last edited by SMC; 07-24-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Deleted some rather creative imagery because I'm sure you've all had your fill of being called whiners by now

Quote Originally Posted by HsojVvad View Post
    Is anyone going to be quitting SoB now or just shelving them till whenever a proper codex comes out, or suck it up like a DA player and be stubborn and keep playing?
    Mine are going on the shelf (I don't sell armies unless I need the money).

Veteran-Sergeant
    That would make it too easy for the Imperial Assassins

Quote Originally Posted by HsojVvad View Post
    Like the new Canoness, I am stubborn. We'll see how may victories I get with it, but it doesn't look good so far. We'll see if the Wargear section offers a small miracle. I may also need a few more Sisters, which I was hoping I could make plastic, but that doesn't seem to be on the table anymore.

First-Captain

60 dollars for 9 sisters ouch. They don't sell them in box of 10s. The henchmen combo pack is not a bad buy for a free 10 dollar crusader. Also the Serepham only come 1 at a time. I will have to think about spending more money on a bad army.

i guess when i see a codex release like this, it happens for a few reasons. let's look at the times when they did this in the recent past:

1) blood angels
    2) warriors of chaos

the WD BA 'dex got rid of the old variable sized death company and made the BA army similar to the DA book that had come out in 07 (still 4th ed). it was an effort to streamline, as well as eliminate problems with an old, overdone codex.

the WD WoC army book was released so that GW could release the chaos daemons army book without making players' existing chaos armies useless. they had a hard choice to make (between WoC and Beastmen), and they chose WoC to release in WD. i think it was the right choice, and because of the medium-to-low power level of the WD list it didn't take the army out of its current tier.

releasing WD lists without releasing new models is also a way to generate interest in an army. GW probably has a LOT of SoB metal stuff lying around that hasn't sold for lack of popularity. heck, 2003 was the last time they were released (IIRC). anyhow, they can get rid of their stockpile of old metal models AND generate interest so that when the new stuff comes out (hopefully in a year or two) they will have primed the player base for a new army and new models.

Librarian

This codex seems to have me leaning to shelving my army as of right now. I'm sure my army will get smaller, and thus require more models which I would rather not buy. That, and the pure garbage-ness that the codex appears to be.

Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast