BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by harveydent View Post
    i guess when i see a codex release like this, it happens for a few reasons. let's look at the times when they did this in the recent past:

1) blood angels
    2) warriors of chaos

the WD BA 'dex got rid of the old variable sized death company and made the BA army similar to the DA book that had come out in 07 (still 4th ed). it was an effort to streamline, as well as eliminate problems with an old, overdone codex.

the WD WoC army book was released so that GW could release the chaos daemons army book without making players' existing chaos armies useless. they had a hard choice to make (between WoC and Beastmen), and they chose WoC to release in WD. i think it was the right choice, and because of the medium-to-low power level of the WD list it didn't take the army out of its current tier.

releasing WD lists without releasing new models is also a way to generate interest in an army. GW probably has a LOT of SoB metal stuff lying around that hasn't sold for lack of popularity. heck, 2003 was the last time they were released (IIRC). anyhow, they can get rid of their stockpile of old metal models AND generate interest so that when the new stuff comes out (hopefully in a year or two) they will have primed the player base for a new army and new models.
    Not quite sure. GW has been letting the Sister's stock reduce for awhile now. For example you can't even buy boxs of Seraphim any more. They only come in single blisters. I'm not 100% convinced this is a marketing ploy to push old metal stock.

I think this is simply they wanted to bring SoB in line with the other books before 6th ed comes out. Because the truth is then the community would point fingers at the sisters and how they were the next "dark eldar" of 40k. So by giving them a rules re-write, it gives them time to bring them out proper for 6th.

I remember a large rumer dump about how they wanted to bring to focus the struggle between the Warp and their followers, and the mortal races of the universe. What better way to do this then with a nice new shiny Chaos Legion and SoB book.
    Last edited by Lockark; 07-24-2011 at 09:07 PM.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Lockark View Post
    I think this is simply they wanted to bring SoB in line with the other books before 6th ed comes out.
    They failed.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Librarian

no argument here on her post

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Yeah, all the ****ers like you who are insulting Sisters players for not liking the nerfs that we've gotten can go shove it up your ***.
    Like.

Cheers, Gary

I was excited re: Sisters, now I am not. I'm quite depressed about it. So far GW is having a s**t second half of the year.

Chaplain

Ok so I haven't seen the new White Dwarf yet, and could only see one page in this thread so forgive me if I get this completely wrong but my understanding of how the Faith Point system worked was this:

Each Faithful Unit generates 1D6 Faith Points.

You roll a D6 for each unit and add the total, this gives you your Faith Pool.

Your Faith Pool equals the number of Dice you can roll for each unit that wishes to pass a Faith test, and they pass on a 5 or 6.

So as an example if your 1500pt army has 3 Faithful Units you would roll 3D6 per turn and add the total.

Let's say you roll 3D6 and get 11 in total.

This then gives you 11 rolls of Faith to spread across your units that turn.

So you could use 5 rolls on your Celestians, 3 on Your Repentia and 3 on your Seraphim.

If any of these dice come up with a 5 or 6 then your act of Faith has passed.

At the end of your turn your Faith Points are lost and you cannot carry any over into your next turn and must reroll your pool.

That is how the new Faith Points were explained to me and I even had a chance to play them too so I am a bit confused if they have now just given the army 1D6 per turn, which as explained doesn't scale and isn't very fun.

The exciting thing about the above way of doing it was never being sure how many dice you should allocate to each Act, making it tense and a bit of a tactical gamble.

Sadly no, the Act of Faith rule specifically says just one D6 for the whole army.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

Hmmm, well that's just stupid.

I will say to everybody though that if what I have heard is correct White Dwarf magazine will be reverting to its old style "Chapter Approved" days.

This means that it will be a test bed for new rules etc.

I don't know if anybody remembers but this is where the trial assault rules (which then became 4th Edition) were first tested, along with Cityfight, etc.

This means that this WD Codex really is just a filler and there will no doubt be changes before the actual Codex is released, but if the info I have is correct it may be further away than people think.

Although it seems as soon as I am told one thing someone goes along and changes it!

It would certainly be nice if GW said something like "this is a WIP, email your opinions to [email][email protected][/email]", but I doubt it. I have to say the only thing making this codex bearable is the fact it will be replaced quite rapidly if the rumours are to be believed (next year).

I do love that WD is getting more rules, but it should be limited to new units not whole booke.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by StraightSilver View Post
    Hmmm, well that's just stupid.

I will say to everybody though that if what I have heard is correct White Dwarf magazine will be reverting to its old style "Chapter Approved" days.

This means that it will be a test bed for new rules etc.

I don't know if anybody remembers but this is where the trial assault rules (which then became 4th Edition) were first tested, along with Cityfight, etc.

This means that this WD Codex really is just a filler and there will no doubt be changes before the actual Codex is released, but if the info I have is correct it may be further away than people think.

Although it seems as soon as I am told one thing someone goes along and changes it!
    So I guess they will start chapter approved again and do the 3.5 mess. As a Tau player I remember 3.5 very well.

Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast