BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    It would certainly be nice if GW said something like "this is a WIP, email your opinions to [email][email protected][/email]", but I doubt it. I have to say the only thing making this codex bearable is the fact it will be replaced quite rapidly if the rumours are to be believed (next year).

I do love that WD is getting more rules, but it should be limited to new units not whole booke.
    Ah, now wouldn't that be something? Wouldn't it be great if WD were a place where rules could be discussed, player concerns could be validated, and optional new rules could be field tested (prior to official release). Wouldn't that be .... just like how ALL gaming magazines were in the 80's, back when they were worth a damn.

Back in the day, game companies used to be run by gamers for gamers or by people who at least understood their target market and the products they sold. That changed in the 90's, when the control of many game companies fell to cookie cutter corporate suits without one damned original thought in their head. I am most familiar with this from TSR and most recently from WotC, but I understand GW has suffered a similar fate.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    Back in the day, game companies used to be run by gamers for gamers or by people who at least understood their target market and the products they sold. That changed in the 90's, when the control of many game companies fell to cookie cutter corporate suits without one damned original thought in their head. I am most familiar with this from TSR and most recently from WotC, but I understand GW has suffered a similar fate.
    And they were all making far less money. They're a publicly traded company now, making loads more cash, expanding their IP in a greater number of arenas.

From GWs standpoint, I'd hardly thing making a lot more money is "suffering" any kind of fate.

www.queencityguard.com

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Yeah, all the ****ers like you who are insulting Sisters players for not liking the nerfs that we've gotten can go shove it up your ***.
    I myself was excited for the new codex, but it does like ****ty.

Veteran-Sergeant
    That would make it too easy for the Imperial Assassins

For a successful company business aspects can't be ignored, but there is such a thing as too much business focus.

Back to the codex, I curse the Necrons for being delayed. :P Maybe this was just rushed because of them and with anything new stripped out and largely play test or just conservative because they didn't have time to thoroughly play test it. At least we can get through this now instead of after they make a big print codex, so maybe any issues can be resolved by then, with help from our own experiences. Hopefully. Maybe.

Addendum: Oh, I will say that the codex is pretty though, so kudos to whoever did the layout/editing/writing/whatever on that. My only peeve is that Sister with Heavy Bolter is actually Sister with Multimelta.
    Last edited by Lancel; 07-25-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    ... expanding their IP in a greater number of arenas.
    Are they? Are they indeed? I've actually been watching them contract for several years now, becoming more and more niche oriented. Meanwhile, other companies like PP and Corvus Belli are expanding to fill the gaps GW have vacated. Even Confrontation is about to make a comeback. What I'm observing is GW is in its Red Giant stage. It's pushing out dramatically in an attempt to retain its relevance, but largely what it is producing is sub-par, old, tired and is making its own name somewhat toxic. DE were good. Some parts of Storm of Magic are good. The Ultramarines movie was terrible - video clips for the games have been of better quality. Finecast has been scandalously bad. Grey Knights were meh. Now, SoB are looking to be stillborn. They screw up too much more and I don't see how they'll stay in business long ... unless fanboys come to their rescue.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Yeah, all the ****ers like you who are insulting Sisters players for not liking the nerfs that we've gotten can go shove it up your ***.
    So you wanted a new codex just like your old codex, but more powerful? Got it. So how many games have you played with the new "nerfed" codex? I mean, you've been spreading the gospel so much you must have like twenty games or so under your belt.

Chapter-Master

Are they? Are they indeed? I've actually been watching them contract for several years now, becoming more and more niche oriented. Meanwhile, other companies like PP and Corvus Belli are expanding to fill the gaps GW have vacated. Even Confrontation is about to make a comeback. What I'm observing is GW is in its Red Giant stage. It's pushing out dramatically in an attempt to retain its relevance, but largely what it is producing is sub-par, old, tired and is making its own name somewhat toxic. DE were good. Some parts of Storm of Magic are good. The Ultramarines movie was terrible - video clips for the games have been of better quality. Finecast has been scandalously bad. Grey Knights were meh. Now, SoB are looking to be stillborn. They screw up too much more and I don't see how they'll stay in business long ... unless fanboys come to their rescue.
    Apparently you have no idea what "other arenas" means.

Their video game lines are quite healthy, and Space Marine looks to be a relatively big game based on industry buzz.

The Black Library has grown exponentially. They continue to release more and more books, and retain an increasingly large stable of authors.

The relationship with Fantasy Flight Games continues to be fruitful. There are multiple board/card games being released, with (it looks like) two slated for appearance at GenCon Indy (Blood Bowl Card Game, Black Crusade RPG).

Despite what you think about the movie, they made a CG movie. It's a big deal.

Your post is, quite frankly, pretty foolish.

www.queencityguard.com

So if we made ATSKNF, combat tactics, power of the machine spirit and whatever other special SM rules there are limited to D6 uses a turn and reduced the efficacy of some of the abilities to the point of uselessness, you would need to play games with it to tell if it was bad or not?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

huh? what? I seem to be lost here. What was so bad about Grey Knights? people were angry they were not broken like Space Wolves or something? =/ I haven't sat down with the book yet, but it seemed like a good book to me.

I also don't quite seen how this is going to be "the end of GW". Yes. GW has sadly stopped supporting small skirmish games, and alot of other companies filled the small skirmish game void.

But their isn't companies stepping up to try and fill the "large army" games that WHFB and WH40K fill. GW is also not vaccinating that niche.

Mantic games have been giving it a good try with Kings of war, and the upcoming warpath. But let's face it. Most people just buy manic's cheaper models to use in GW's games. Even then it's only the more net savvy.
    *Shrugs*

I'm not saying that GW hasn't made some disappointing mistakes as of late, but saying this will be the end of them is kinda jumping to conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    So you wanted a new codex just like your old codex, but more powerful? Got it. So how many games have you played with the new "nerfed" codex? I mean, you've been spreading the gospel so much you must have like twenty games or so under your belt.
    If someone's only way to win a argument is to call you a "F***er" and to shove it up your "A**", then they already lost the argument. Best not waste your time.
    Last edited by Lockark; 07-25-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    So you wanted a new codex just like your old codex, but more powerful?
    You have a problem with that?

C:WH consistently ranks at the bottom of the pile, with only Necrons and maybe Tau (depending on the player) being worse off. Yes, people still win with C:WH, but let's face it, it's old and weak and even when it was new it wasn't ever anything spectacular. If it ISN'T a better codex it won't be able to stand toe to toe with fifth edition codices, and if it can't do that, what's the point of having a new codex in the first place?
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast