BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Go buy this month's White Dwarf and then next month's too.
    I do plan on it, if they ever show up at the local store.
    (but that's a MUCH longer story with no bearing on this)
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Abbess Sanctorum

That's what they are, scans of the WD. Can't help ya if teh WD isn't carried....
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by gwensdad View Post
    I do plan on it, if they ever show up at the local store.
    (but that's a MUCH longer story with no bearing on this)
    If you can wait, they'll probably have a PDF to download a little after the WD comes out. At least they did for Blood Angels. I think they did as well for Warriors of Chaos, but I'm not too sure about that.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by gwensdad View Post
    So if one were interested in seeing the rest and judging for oneself where (in theory) would that person go to see the rest of this?
    You can reverse engineer the image data to find what photo service provider and account the image was posted from and then do a look-up for that account on that photo service.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Veteran-Sergeant
    That would make it too easy for the Imperial Assassins

I hate to say it, but I have to acknowledge that thus far Melissia's theory is pretty much spot on. I hadn't noticed the Initiative nerf, but that's a pretty big nerf for the Seraphim's Hit and Run and for Celestians to actually BE GOOD in melee, as they are unlikely to be able to hit first against much, and while they got A2, they also lost Holy Hatred. They'll be effective against shooty squads like Fire Warriors and Guardsmen, even Tactical Marines, but they'll be slaughtered by more dedicated close combat squads, like Assault Marines. Otherwise they are essentially just like Battle Sisters but not dependent on the Superior for Ld.

As for Repentia... I have a suspicion there will be something in the Army List that says "They cannot take a transport" but there is nothing listed in their rules saying that they cannot take or board a transport. I feel they are improved in melee, much like the Penitent Engine, but we still have the same problem with actually getting them there. Holy Rage was superior to Rage, and Fleet doesn't entirely make up for it. Then there's FNP, which is basically what they had before, and the apparently army wide 6++, which offers a slight improvement in survivability, but overall it looks about the same with actually getting them there. Transport might fix that IF they can take one.

The only unit that really stands out to me is the Sororitas Command Squad, which may have some potential, but at the same time I don't see it being anywhere near as effective as my 3rd Edition command squad. The melee power just isn't there that I can tell, and although a Hospitaller almost assuredly gives FNP, that's nothing compared to the old Spirit of the Martyr, and it's a little sad when the new Command Squad has to burn a faith point to get the SAME STATS THEY HAD IN 3RD EDITION (The Passion would return the Command Squad's Init to 4, which it was by default in 3rd, and Preferred Enemy is only slightly better than Holy Hatred). That irritates me some, but Endless Crusade is kinda neat, but all combined the package does not look nearly as scary as a squad slamming something with S5 Rending and S8 Power attacks from under a squad-wide 3++ and Holy Hatred with To Hit rerolls on charges.

Still, there is the points to consider, and if they resemble horde army cheap that could be worth some serious debate, because to me it seems like you need some serious numbers to make this work.

I don't see anything GREAT in thows two pages, but don't see anything bad either. The points coasts are what will make or break this book.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

The Dark Mechanic

Looks like someone got their WD a bit early:
    Ha! GW pisses off their loyal customers by monkeying (again) with the White Dwarf mailing schedule trying to prevent early leaks and it still doesn't work, which is not a surprise. When you print thousands of copies of something "perfection" is impossible. They need a dose of realism and to stop irking their customers trying to control everything every moment, it's just not possible.

Sister Dialogus? Interesting, an amplified demagogue and fanatic whose job it is to stir up fervor with the SoB. I have several jokes to make about that, but they write themselves so I'll leave it to the imagination.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Scorpion View Post
    Sister Dialogus? Interesting, an amplified demagogue and fanatic whose job it is to stir up fervor with the SoB. I have several jokes to make about that, but they write themselves so I'll leave it to the imagination.
    What? You mean like, "the loss of allies revealed," or some such?

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Lockark View Post
    I don't see anything GREAT in thows two pages, but don't see anything bad either.
    You mean aside from the overly complicated, limited, and linear (shoehorning each unit into a role) acts of faith, the complete lack of any leadership buff for the entire army, the nerf to the initiative of Sisters veterans, etc?

If Sisters are turned into cheap cannon fodder, what's the point? You might as well play guard if you want a horde of cheap cannon fodder-- at least then you'd have tanks and artillery to back them up. It goes completely and utterly against the feel and purpose of the Sisters of Battle.
    Last edited by Melissia; 07-23-2011 at 11:34 PM.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Even bearing in mind we don't have the full picture yet, there may be generic acts of faith and wargear options which let you tailor things a lot more etc. this is still looking like a fairly poor effort. I do hope the rumours about a proper codex coming in 6 months are accurate.

If SoB are cheaper, that means more squads, which makes the new Faith system even more useless. At 1500 points in C:WH you might have three squads of sisters plus a few others so a D6 of faith points could work, but if they get cheaper then it won't and it will fail to scale spectacularly.
    Last edited by eldargal; 07-23-2011 at 11:53 PM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast