BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You lost me at the art about Necrons being the guys who beat everyone up. With the newer necron fluff in the 5th ed rules book and blood angle codex, their has been a drive to make the necrons more like the tomb kings. A drive to give the necrons some sort of narrative to them. Well the basic necron warriors are mindless the lords are greedy/cunning/insane/intelligent/ect

Many necrons are now godless after the War in the Heavens, and now are left to their own devices. So basically you have these armies of mindless robots being lead by a lord. How dose the lord feel about his people being turned into necrons? Apathy? Sorrow? Frustration? guilt? Thows kind of questions help give the necrons more character and make them less "faceless".

I would not be surprised if in future fluff the necrons are as likely to fight each other as other races. (Like the Tomb Kings.)

But for them to ditch all of that and go back to the original fluff of them being mindless machines? eehhhh..... Seems odd.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrBored View Post

Oh by the way, Chaos Legions by March1012 and 6th edition by October 2012, which will feature Eldar as the poster child. Heavy Xenos influence for 6th edition, including the long-awaited Tau update.

Here's a doozy. Fluff changes. (prepare for heavy summary) We're moving on from the 41st millenium into the 42nd.
    Who did these rumours come from, crazy old Doc Brown? So not only are we having a new ruleset, GW has also found a way to bend time and change dates!? Either that or they are planning to rename and rebrand their most popular game to the catchily titled Warhammer 41,000. I don't which I find more believable

Actually a Chaos Legions codex was mentioned by ghost21 who is quite reliable, so that could be true. But he also says the poster children for 6th ed are Black Templars, in the sense of them being in the boxed set. The rest of it seems absurd, I could see GW moving the timeline forward to give them space to breath, but not 'advance the plot' in the sense of anything changing.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Who did these rumours come from, crazy old Doc Brown? So not only are we having a new ruleset, GW has also found a way to bend time and change dates!? Either that or they are planning to rename and rebrand their most popular game to the catchily titled Warhammer 41,000. I don't which I find more believable
    'twas a typo, but nice catch :P

The thing that makes it believable for me is that between the year 40,000 and 49,999 it can still be called 'Warhammer 40,000'. The plot has been stuck between the year 40,000 and 40,999, which is actually a very short period of time when you consider Warhammer fluff. When Space Marines, Eldar, and others live for hundreds of years, it creates a very compact timeline that doesn't allow for space to expand into. Most of the fluff that's been coming out in books and whatnot has been in very small sectors of the galaxy over very short periods of time, or has been about the time before the year 40,000. It's not too much of a stretch to think that GW might want to shake things up a bit by advancing the plot by a single minute in order to get to the year 41,000.

But anyway. I could believe Chaos Legions in March. It seems fitting according to some of the rumors we've been hearing (the book would be just before 6th like Orks was before 5th, but geared entirely for 6th edition), and if 6th is going to come out in the year 2012, it makes sense that it would come out in the summer like 5th did, and if that's the case, between Sisters of Battle, Necrons, and whatever happens in the Winter, March is really the only month left for a big release like Chaos.

Time line go forward?? HoooRayyyyyy!!!!....More chaos/xeno love?? HooooRayyyyyy!!! I was geting sick, seeing Imperium as masters of galaxy(Im thinking about dex power).
    ....shhh, it's okay, it's just me.... I`m Beast at the back of your head.

6th edition by October 2012, which will feature Eldar as the poster child

No. The Imperium is at the heart of all that is 40k. It's about humanity's struggle to survive and protect its loose empire. All other factions, chaos/xenos are compliments to that mythos. Expanding on the lore of xenos factions makes sense; turning 40k mythos on its head does not. Furthermore, from a purely business standpoint it also makes little sense considering the popularity of Space Marines and other Imperial factions. When most people think 40k, they think Space Marines not Eldar. Space Marines will remain the Iconic badge of 40k and I really don't ever see that changing.

So, Chaos has to fight across the galaxy against the enemies that mankind were fighting against, perhaps even allying with loyalist forces against a common foe

Again, no. This goes against the very grain of a mythos built up over decades. Chaos is the arch enemy and the struggle against Chaos is what defines and drives the Imperium. The very idea of "allying" with Chaos is anathema to what the Imperium is about.

Also the idea of Chaos having to fight some kind of conventional war to survive sounds silly. Chaos is this nebulous power/evil; a corrupting force of the warp. It's beyond protecting borders or "empires" and beyond its physical manifestations, ie: traitor marines, cultists, or demons which are not necessarily even "allied" with one another.

The whole thing feels like trolling to me.
    Last edited by madlib; 07-25-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madlib View Post

Also the idea of Chaos having to fight some kind of conventional war to survive sounds silly. Chaos is this nebulous power/evil; a corrupting force of the warp. It's beyond protecting borders or "empires" and beyond its physical manifestations, ie: traitor marines, cultists, or demons which are not necessarily even "allied" with one another.
    Except we're talking about Chaos fighting an enemy that finds the warp anathema - Necrons. The C'tan, especially if the Void Dragon arises again, would be well placed to create an anti-warp weapon that would necessitate Chaos to wage a conventional war against the Toasters.

The Imperium working with Chaos is a very large fluff change, but then again so was the idea that Necrons and BA would team up against Tyranids, or a lot of the tom foolery Ward wrote for the GK. We've been witnessing the subtle changes GW's made to the fluff, perhaps 6th edition really will shake things up!

Plus, if you base line it, the Imperium is just loosing ground faster, its not exactly a big fluff change in and of itself.

There's a difference between isolated events covered in a codex and fundamental thematic changes. In saying that the timeline will be advanced and suddenly the Imperium will find itself "allying" with Chaos, you are essentially undermining or deconstructing if you will the very thing that underpins the whole mythos.

Moreover, suddenly making the Eldar the "poster boys" of your franchise is a major shift in market focus and philosophy. In fact, I think it would be a terrible business decision. Taking the focus off of your iconic product and shifting it to something peripheral makes little sense.

I call bs.

p.s. No offense intended to fans of the Eldar and using the term "peripheral" to describe them was probably a bit harsh, but I was trying to make a point.
    Last edited by madlib; 07-26-2011 at 05:03 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by madlib View Post
    There's a difference between isolated events covered in a codex and fundamental thematic changes. In saying that the timeline will be advanced and suddenly the Imperium will find itself "allying" with Chaos, you are essentially undermining or deconstructing if you will the very thing that underpins the whole mythos.
    Fighting alongside chaos effectively means you are going to be corrupted. Imperial Guard? Corrupted. Most Space Marines? Enough corrupted to bring about a heresy. Grey Knights? Going to feel very very lonely. Mars? Better bring out Mr Void Dragon soon.

I buy the Necrons waking up idea, I don't buy the Imperial and Choas together. If anything, Chaos would be fighting by taking over Imperial armies and worlds.

The enemy of my enemy....is still Chaos Scum. For Russ!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast