BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Do you organise your bits box, and if so, how?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I shall explain how in my post if I can be bothered to do so.

28 57.14%
  • Are you mad, woman?! Trawling through a mammoth box of bits is one of the best parts of the hobby!

12 24.49%
  • Some kind of middle option I can't think of at the moment.

9 18.37%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Do you organise your bits box, and if so, how.

Fairly obvious, do you organise your bits box, and if you do, please say how. I used to assume everyone organised their bits box but lately I've been hearing people talk about the fun and frustration of digging through a mammoth box of bits.

Personally I organise mine by race and type, thus I have a box for Eldar infantry bits and a box for eldar vehicle bits.

How do you do it? What do you store it in, do you remove it all completely from the spru? Do you clean the bits when they go in the box or when you go to use them? Etcetera.
    Last edited by eldargal; 07-25-2011 at 08:48 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

by race vehicle & weapon type, using those nice little tackle/crafting boxs.

generally bigger boxs, one for imperium, several smaller for various fantasy stuffs.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Chapter-Master

I use the Eldar Battle Force box, and is just mixed Eldar bits. Which means its mostly a massvle pile of heavy weapons, (Cannons, Lances, Missiles, Lasers) and a few other bits

My DE is similarily in one big place, in this case a heavy zip lock bag that something from FW came in. The DE heads are also in a seperate little bag, as a all the Finecast spares.

Its a credit to the DE line, that my DE are a newer, smaller army, and yet have more bits
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chaplain

I have several bit boxes, which tend to be the plastic boxes which contain GWs metal models.
    Generally they are seperated by race and item type. I've been thinging about buying some sort of bits box from an office depot type shop to organise my bits a bit better, but money spent on that is less money spent on actual models so the idea never gets very far.

Chapter-Master

So organising bitz has taken me to heights of anal retentitiveness I didn't know were possible for me (I'm not a super organized person by nature, as my desk at work will attest)

Basially, it's like this:

I have 5 hardware store part organizers, each sorted and labeled with a label maker. At the top is weapons. Weapons are sorted by weapon type per army. So all the Vanilla marine power weapons are together, next to the Blood Angels power weapons, next to the Space Wolf power weapons. And so on. So here's an Example row:

| marine PW| SW PW| BA PW| BT PW| DA PW|
    | Marine shoulders| SW Shoulders| BA Shoulders| BT Shoulders|

It's all quite pathetic, really, but If you need a bit, I can tell you if I have it in about 10 seconds.
    Last edited by wittdooley; 07-25-2011 at 09:17 AM.

www.queencityguard.com

Chapter-Master

I used to have mine race specific, still on the sprue, but as my collection has expanded over the years I found I had a number of different half empty boxes lying round and I simply don't have space for them all. So now there is a Warhammer box and a 40k box and that's it. I quite enjoy rummaging around in them for stuff and I have reasonable idea of what's in there based on what models I have in my army and how they are equipped, so it' not a mjor hassle to find them. I found it quite a release to let of go of my anal retentivity on this one and I reccommend to those who find themselves in a similar situation.

Ah, the halcyon days when all my spare bits would fit into a mere box.

I used to have one of those multi part tool boxes but I have long since outgrown that, although it still exists and occasionally vomits up a useful bit that I saved.

There are multiple levels to my madness:

1) Bits still on the sprues are organised more or less by race and in some cases are even in a relevant box. Others less so, my daemons bits are in a storm raven box. I tend to break down any sprues where less than 50% of the sprue remainms to save space.

2) Once off the sprue, bits for my current projects are loose in a rhino, or similarly sized box. Older projects tend to get tipped into some a black hole box, probably never to be seen again until I start a new army.

3) Bits earmarked for specific future conversions because I know what I'm going to do with them or they look particularly useful are stored in one of the sectioned plastic boxes that GW metal kits come in.

One of the fun processes of starting a new army is crerating a new bits box for conversions and rummaging through the old boxes for new bits. Its also cheap as everything is recycled from stuff you've already paid for.

Similarly, some of my favourite conversions are scrap daemon style results from just trawling in my bits box and finding useful parts.

Brother-Captain

I use the tried and true heap sort method, but mostly I just store the bits in their original boxes (or a box related to their race) in my closet.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Librarian

For my IG its...

Personnel.

1. By body part - arms, legs, heads, torso.
    2. Weapons then add-ons such as pouches, grenades etc.
    3. Backpacks.

Vehicles.

1.Turrets.
    2.Chassis inc sponson bits.
    3.Tracks.
    4.Weapons - pintle and sponson.
    5.Crew memebers.
    6.Extras - dozer blades, smoke launchers etc

This was the same for my Marine army.
    I use 2 B&Q storage organiser tray things. I would have posted a link for item but appears they no longer stock it.
    My son, ask for thyself another Kingdom, for that which I leave is too small for thee.

Chaplain

I keep a battleforce or battalion box for each race and store unused sprues in them, or have ziploc baggies for each different unit to store things in. For example, one baggie for Kabalite Warriors, one for Wyches, etc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast