BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Do you organise your bits box, and if so, how?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I shall explain how in my post if I can be bothered to do so.

28 57.14%
  • Are you mad, woman?! Trawling through a mammoth box of bits is one of the best parts of the hobby!

12 24.49%
  • Some kind of middle option I can't think of at the moment.

9 18.37%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

I have shoeboxes labelled for Imperial/Mech, Organic (Kroot/Ork/Tyranid/Chaos), and Tau/Eldar bits.

Then I sort bits into small plastic sandwich bags by categories like "Chaos weaponry" or "shoulderpads" and toss them into the appropriate shoebox.

I do a lot of kitbashing, so I've found it handy to sort by basic category rather than by army.

Chaplain

I have several bitz boxes,sorted by race only. So I have a box for Space Marines, a box for Orks, a Box for Imperial Guard, a box for Tau (I have a few bits) a box for Tyranids (I have a few bits), a box for WHFB Empire, a box for WHFB Dwarves (my friend's army - I do all the work) a box for WHFB Tomb Kings (I have a few bits). What sort of boxes do I use? 2 Litre ice-cream containers.
    You think running with scissors is dangerous? Try sky diving with them!

I'm glad to see that I fall somewhat in the middle of this group of obsessive-compulsive organizers! Basically, each race has its own box with body parts, weapons, heads, sorted in an order that sort of makes sense (at least to me). I also keep vehicle parts in separate boxes more or less by race.

I have a big toolbox like many others here. For every race there ist a small box for body parts and a small box for weapons. all other small things like grenades etc are together in two boxes for all races, divided in smaller parts like grenades, spikes etc. and bigger parts like backpacks, icons etc.
    All parts for vehicles are in a larger box. but to actually search a thing I have to empty the small boxes in a bigger box or on a table, because most of the small boxes are nearly full...

Brother-Sergeant

Thinking about it, my bits boxes actually reflect their armies!

Space Marines are the elite - arranged through a couple of boxes with individual compartments for arms, legs, weapons (by type-range/heavy/ccw), torsos, BA/GK specific parts etc.

The Orks are very unruly, body parts mingling with metal attached to vehicles by accident or design.

Eldar have their own serene zone with a spacious drawer to themselves apart from one back corner where their Dark Kin lurk!
    www.rebelsgrotto.blogspot.com - Go visit, you know you want to!

Chapter-Master

I would literally have an anxiety attack if my bits were organized like some of you and I had to find something.

I misplaced some FW Mark Armour sets the other day; I spent the better part of 3 hours looking for them. Upon finding them, I promptly clipped every bit and put them in their appropriate bin.

My wife thought I was going to hyperventilate.

www.queencityguard.com

Chapter-Master

tried , and failed :P

p.s. that being said i lost the head for my GD entry (NOTE: you MUST LOOK FOR IT NOW YOU LAZY GIT :P )
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Chaplain

I have waaaay to much in terms of bitz. I have a few smaller boxes for armies i have collected extensively over the years. However as different friends have 'gotten out of the hobby' or downsized to just a main army for each system, they gave me there bits. Some got organized, some didnt, so i have a greta big random plastic tray-cabinet thingy that i love digging through as i dont really know what's in there. Of course some of those friends returned to the hobby when GW release something particularly spangly.

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    I would literally have an anxiety attack if my bits were organized like some of you and I had to find something.

I misplaced some FW Mark Armour sets the other day; I spent the better part of 3 hours looking for them. Upon finding them, I promptly clipped every bit and put them in their appropriate bin.

My wife thought I was going to hyperventilate.
    I've collected for awhile now, and then on top of that when someone reduces thier bitz box/getting out of the hobby I always seem to grab a few large boxs of bitz dirt cheap. It's a bad habbit of mine. I have multiple large containers of bitz at this point.

It is not pyschicaly possible for me to organize my bitz neatly, other wise I would have a wall of thows little draws and stuff.
    =/
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

I have clear plastic boxes, the sort of thing you use for putting food into the fridge/freezer.

Each is dedicated to a body part: heads, torsoes, legs, left arms, right arms.
    Then there are boxes for different accesories: backpacks & banners, close combat weapons, pistols, larger guns, shields, random extras (grenades, purity seals, etc).
    Then there are other boxes: for all bits from larger creatures (daemon princes, ogres, nid warriors etc), for wheels & tracks, for vehicles in general.
    City of Death bits are kept in their original GW boxes.

I like kitbashing bits from different races, so organising by race would be bad. But this way I can often get some great ideas just by digging in a box to find a good torso, then the next box to find some interesting legs, etc etc etc.
    http://miteyheroes.blogspot.com/ - My 40k Blog: Adeptus Mechanicus, Imperial Guard Grots, Conversions, Battle Reports and more.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast