BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank You GW

Librarian

Wink Thank You GW

Dear GW,

I have to thank you. You recently switched to resin to save costs. I approved of this move because I like resin. Somehow you then claimed that this cost saving measure required you to actually raise prices. I did not pay much attention being that I am an older player with a decent income who had been through many of your price hikes before.

But the younger, newer, more-energetic and less financially-stable players at my local hobby store were upset (forget the fact that these are the players that you will need in the future...you went for the short-term stock boost). These younger players started experimenting and switching to other games. In a big way. Like I have never seen since buying my first GW box set in 1987.

This trend worried me greatly and I fretted about the loss of interest in the game. But as the local crowd moved into "Infinity" and other systems, I began thinking about different games myself. I looked at several miniatures options and remembered how much fun I had during a spell of playing historical miniature games in the 1990s.

I pulled out a couple of dusty boxes of my old 15mm American Civil War miniatures. Man, had I forgotten how cool they looked! I bought a few new rule books and a few key units to fill in some gaps in my armies. What a shock to discover that I can still get 50 15mm ACW figures for only $18! Wow. How was it that a dinky little rag-tag company like 'Old Glory' has been able to survive the shocking rise in metal costs that had crippled mighty GW? Weird. I thought big companies could reduce costs by buying in volume and whatnot. Maybe the 'Old Glory' company sits atop a metal mine perhaps?

In any event, my son and I started playing 'Fire&Fury.' Is it ever fun! Rules are simple, clear, easy to follow. No pricey special Codices required for the Army of the Potomac or the Army of Tennessee. We can finish a game relatively quickly and the battlefield looks great covered in hundreds of inexpensive figures. We are now thinking about trying the Napoleonic era.

I'm not quitting 40k, but that next Valkyrie...well... let's just say that $70 can buy a lot of Baccus Co. 6mm Napoleonic Miniatures. Probably going to be a while before I fill out that Valk squadron. Or start that Hive Guard brood I desperately thought I needed four months ago.

And none of this great historical gaming would have happened without you GW. Thanks. You are just so special. Nothin' but love for ya!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010176.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	1256  

heh. Glade you hear you've been enjoying some historical gaming. ^^

It's to bad the General wargameing Discussion boards don't get used to much here.

=/
    Last edited by Lockark; 07-25-2011 at 08:11 PM.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Chapter-Master

Really? Another 'GW raised the prices, boo GW, you suck, I'm going to play something else that's way better cos I've always hated you, you big evil bully of a corporation' post? Is there not like a quota system or something on how many of these we can have in year? You want to big up historical wargaming, great, good for you. Go post in the historical wargames forum, rather than coming on here and using it as an excuse for making a rather thinly veiled attack on GW.
    Also, can you reference me where and when GW said they were switching to resin to save money? I seem to recall that their publicly stated reason was because it is a better material for everybody to work with, rather than for any cost factors.

Their actual statement was that it was cheaper than sticking with metals considering the rising costs in the metals market.

Switching to a new material takes money.

None of that really has anything to do with the price increase though. GW raises its prices every year. They've been doing it for at least five years now.

None of that matters.

The OP is a troll.

He's not addressing this to GW because this isn't a GW message board. He's addressing it to people who play GW games so that they'll all yell at him and he can feel vindicated for backburnering a hobby that he's enjoyed for years because some people at his store were pissed that they raised their prices by an average of $4 across the board. The hive mind in his area got riled up and decided that they'd fight back against the evil corporation and its act of raising prices by spending more money starting entirely new games made by other smaller corporations. Because this will somehow save them money...

None of that matters.

The OP is a troll.
    Last edited by SMC; 07-26-2011 at 05:09 AM.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkencorgimaster View Post
    Dear GW,

I have to thank you. You recently switched to resin to save costs. I approved of this move because I like resin.

These younger players started experimenting and switching to other games. In a big way. Like I have never seen since buying my first GW box set in 1987.

I'm not quitting 40k, but that next Valkyrie...well... let's just say that $70 can buy a lot of Baccus Co. 6mm Napoleonic Miniatures. Probably going to be a while before I fill out that Valk squadron. Or start that Hive Guard brood I desperately thought I needed four months ago.

And none of this great historical gaming would have happened without you GW. Thanks. You are just so special. Nothin' but love for ya!
    +1 for this whole thing!

And I agree, lots of cool things out there at very reasonable prices (check out dystopian wars)
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Plenty of good games out there, I don;t know why it would take some real or imagined slight from GW to get people to check them out.

I would echo Lord Azaghul and recommend Dystopian Wars, also Uncharted Seas by the same company, and Cutlass! by Black Scorpion miniatures. There was another game I wanted to recommend but I forget what it is.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Personally I've realy been enjoying Historia Rodentia. Very fun game with some pretty cute models.
    ^^
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Plenty of good games out there, I don;t know why it would take some real or imagined slight from GW to get people to check them out.

I would echo Lord Azaghul and recommend Dystopian Wars, also Uncharted Seas by the same company, and Cutlass! by Black Scorpion miniatures. There was another game I wanted to recommend but I forget what it is.
    Why does everyone forget Firestorm Armada

jk
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Lockark View Post
    Personally I've realy been enjoying Historia Rodentia. Very fun game with some pretty cute models.
    ^^
    I checked it out. That looks freakin' hilarious!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Darkstar View Post
    Why does everyone forget Firestorm Armada

jk
    Because Dystopian Wars is so much cooler?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast