BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DOW2/Mark of Chaos - Sell it to me

So on Sunday, after nealry 2 years of waiting, 2 years of not being able to play games without the computer having a fit and shutting down, 2 years of walking away and doing something else for 10 mins while I wait for a webpage to load, I

HAVE A NEW LAPTOP!]:

The new machine is like being given an F22 after having to dogfight MiG29's in a Wright Flyer

No longer do I have to go into Gamestation and walk straight past the PC games section, knowing that my computer cant run anything there, no longer do I have to look at DOW2 or WH Mark of Chaos and think "I cant plat that".

But the question is "Are any of these games Ive missed out on in the last 2 years any good?"

Before the problems I was playing Medieval Total War and Dawn of War Winter Assault, are the new versions any better or more of the same but a bit more easy on the eye?

Did I mention I have a new laptop?
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    So on Sunday, after nealry 2 years of waiting, 2 years of not being able to play games without the computer having a fit and shutting down, 2 years of walking away and doing something else for 10 mins while I wait for a webpage to load, I

HAVE A NEW LAPTOP!]:

The new machine is like being given an F22 after having to dogfight MiG29's in a Wright Flyer

No longer do I have to go into Gamestation and walk straight past the PC games section, knowing that my computer cant run anything there, no longer do I have to look at DOW2 or WH Mark of Chaos and think "I cant plat that".

But the question is "Are any of these games Ive missed out on in the last 2 years any good?"

Before the problems I was playing Medieval Total War and Dawn of War Winter Assault, are the new versions any better or more of the same but a bit more easy on the eye?

Did I mention I have a new laptop?
    Mark of CHaos is poo.

Dawn of War II is awesome. Its a tactical RTS and the action starts as soon as the match does. Its all about outflanking and uprouting your opponent. Yep.

Poo Because?
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Librarian

Because the development team got half way through it, gave up and released a bug filled lag-ridden unresponsive excuse of a piss-poor game

probably blew their budget on the intro cgi.
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Chaplain

I wouldn't say it was piss poor, but it wasn't worth a replay of the campaign (didn't do the order side as I got stuck against Skaven when I was high elves). Also there was little to no strategy to it, I literally just threw my army at the enemy's and usually win.

If you've seen the opening cinematic of the game, you've seen the best.

DOW2 on the other hand is great; while I loved DOW1 I always didn’t like the base building as it didn’t seem right. Sure Guard would build forts and bunkers but Space marines? I’m pretty sure they would share/occupy the guard’s defences.

I would say buy DOW2 and it’s expansions (I think they released them all as one release), plus its got DLC if you’re into that.
    Last edited by The Madman; 08-18-2011 at 05:18 PM.
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Went Looking for DOW2 yesterday, couldn't find a single copy. Went just about every shop in the high street that sells games. Guess some online shopping is called for.............

Did pick up Napoleon Total War however, How ****ing annoying is this "Steam" business? It would seem that lots has changed in PC gaming and not all for the best.

Got it and Ive got to say I'm a little disapointed. I don't really play online and it seems that I cant just play against the computer unless Im playing the campaign. Where's the one off battle mode? Where's the buildng?

The DoW2 campaign is really good, though. There is no building or one off battles sadly, but the story makes up for it in my opinion. Very fun gameplay, too. The expansions are also nice though Retribution was a little dissapointing in that all the missions are basically the same regardless of race, but it had Eldar and their storyline was very nifty.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Its a shame really, I used to enjoy the building aspect. Also with "Steam" this means I can only play at home, thats very annoying. Despite buying this all singing and all dancing laptop with a dedicated graphics card I've found that I have to turn the detail way down to get it to run at a sensible speed too.

Ive only done the first couple of missions so far and it seems ok as far as it goes but I do wonder how many times Im going to want to play the same campaign.

I could give the online aspect a go I suppose, but I am totally put off by all the complaints of doosh baggery I hear about on forums like this.

Steam has an offline mode, so you should be able to play it anywhere. I was quite grumpy when I was first compelledto use steam by Empire:TW, but when I discovered it didn't need internet access I started to quite enjoy it. It is nice to be able to buy games whenever I want and download them right away, and have automatic patching and whatnot.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast