BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Chapter-Master

Default 'ard boyz foot Grey Knights

So here's a list I threw together just now that I'm considering:

Librarian, Shrouding, Sanctuary, Might of Titan, Quickening, Warp Rift

Xenos Inquisitor, Rad/Psykotroke grenades, power armor, Hammerhand/Force Sword, 3 skulls

2x Venerable Psyrifle Dreads

3x 10 Terminators, 2 psycannons, Brotherhood Banner, 2 Hammers, 7 Halberds

3x Psyrifle Dreads

I just like the idea of 30 Grey Knight Terminators, and I'm not too far short of being able to field that. I think I need one more box of dudes, and some more weapons to make them WYSIWYG.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

Seems like a very strong list with 5 dreads. I would love to see how well it would do at 'ard boyz. What's your over all strategy? Just march the terminators up the broad? Will you combat squad them?

Personally I would use a Grand Master over the Librarian/ Inquisitor combo. Its a tough one though. interesting list.

Brother-Sergeant

Five AV12 vehicles seems vulnerable at 2500 even if you can keep them in cover. If you end up with second turn against a strong shooting army, they could potentially knock out a decent chunk of your ranged fire by focusing on the non-Venerable dreads, even though they can't suppress you. You also don't have anything that can reliably deal with Russes, though they aren't particularly popular.

Possibly your biggest obstacle is taking objectives in the second mission. Anything that requires you to spread out your forces minimizes the Libby's buffs and hurts your effectiveness. What's your plan for that mission?

This list does seem almost perfectly suited for Kill points in the first mission and victory points in the final mission. I certainly wouldn't wouldn't want to face it unless I was running the three Russ list with plasma sponsons I've been considering.

Dreads are fully mobile, so I'm guessing he is planning to deploy behind LOS blocking terrain whenever possible on deployment. If he looses first turn, the enemy has precious little to shoot at. On his turn, he can walk the dreads out and blast away with full effectiveness. The same applies if he does get first turn. One of the biggest advantages to walker fire support.

Russies will bother him less than most marine armies on account of the termie armor all round. The only Russ that will put a scare in him will be the demolisher, but that needs to get within psycannon range to fire, and he will be relying on pscyannon rending as his only anti-AV14 weapon anyways, and will probably be sending the Libby shrouded squad after targets like that to get a cover save as well.

As a competitive list, it should do fine. It is quite spammy, but that is not really a valid criticism of typical 'ard boyz lists if I understand correctly.

The biggest problem in the lack of variety is how it limits your tactical flexibility and options. There are only so many different ways you can use the same unit. ANd normally, if someone has the tools to effective kill one unit type, he should be able to rense and repeat and kill all your clone units just as easily.

Darklink is betting on most lists focusing on anti-PA MEQ, and so few lists would pack enough high strength, low AP shots to get through 31 termies and 5 dreads in 7 turns max with any reliability, and is sacrificing tactical finesse to achieve that.

Personally, I would drop one normal dread and take a Vindicare to give you some extra choices and options. With two normal and two ven dreads, you should have a solid enough fire base that is pretty survivable to boot.

The vindicare is pretty resilient to fire, especially since you are taking a shrouded libby. Place the vindicare right, and you could potentially have 2-3 turns of shrouding boost for him.

I agree with taking a vindicare , you could drop a venerable rifleman for it and then buy psybolts for the 10 man squads. 48 strength 5 shots per round is nothing to be sniffed at (I think my maths is right there).

I was thinking of trying to get the 15 terminator models i have into a 1500 pt game (5 of them being ghost knights) , i like the idea of an all terminator army as well.