BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Imperial navy

Adeptus Custodes

Default Imperial navy

Do any of you have any pics of Imperial navy officers?
    More Necromunda please.

Librarian

Wasn't the guy from the Battle for Macragge set an Imperial Navy dude? Not sure if he was an officer or not.

Adeptus Custodes

Cheers, I'm modelling a Naval officer who has been forced to turn against the imperium when he has been "outed" as a low level pysker.
    More Necromunda please.

Chap in the middle is an 'Officer of the Fleet':
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Adeptus Custodes

Cheers, I've seen some pics on lexicanum too-It seems High Collars are the order of the day.
    More Necromunda please.

Adeptus Custodes

I might swap the background of my character to Guard or commissariat as I'm not too keen on the Navy aesthetic. I should have mentioned at the beginning that this is for a planned black crusade campaign.

On a point of interest- what in the 40k universe do they call the waterborne vehicles we call ships? They have their own ships which travel through space controlled by the navy- what would be their equivalent of our current Navy do you think?
    More Necromunda please.

Chapter-Master

Ships. Most advanced Imperial worlds won't bother with a ocean vessels since it would be quicker and easier to use an air shuttle. The only places that would use them are less developed world where access to air transport is limited or ocean worlds where there isn't really anywhere to land a plane. But I don't see why they wouldn't still call them ships or boats though.

Librarian

Talking about navy...

And because this is the Fluff subforum...

Why we haven´t seen any Imperial or Chaotic submarine or watery ship??

Because I think that there will be many planets on the galaxy that have only water and no surface, don´t they??
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

Chapter-Master

Because they are of limited military value. The ork submersibles used on Armageddon clearly took the Imperial forces completely by surprise because they never bother using them. If such vessels were common, they would be looking out for them. Given the amount of readily accesible air firepower, ships are just going to get blasted out of the water by faster moving aircraft or even orbital strikes.
    Also, where is the strategic value in controlling the seas? Since WW2, improvements in aircraft have seen the commercial and military value of the oceans diminish and that will be magnified in 41st millenium. So on earth type worlds, air power is king.
    As for ocean worlds, why would you invest military force in them? They are going to be very sparsely populated, if at all, and then usually be pre-industrial civilizations due to the lack of raw materials necessary to advance the population. The only value ocean worlds have is in the raw materials you can get from them - fish and alage, possibly gas, oil and valuable metals. However, all these are difficult to get from the ocean, even in the future. When the Imperium has thousands of worlds, it is far easier and cheaper to get food from an agri world or metals from a resource rich world. As such, any commercial investment in an ocean world is going to be limited in most cases, so it is easier just to let it be destroyed by an invading army and then replace it later, rather than wasting military forces in defending it. For the same reason - why would anyone bother invading an ocean world (other than Tyranids who can make use of all natural materials)?

The only situation I could see a waterborne ships being of any utility would be in a prolonged war where no side can claim control air/space supremacy so it is too dangerous or impossible to move troops via air. So very situational.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast