BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grey Knights Vs Orks 3.5K

Ok, I have literally NO idea how good orks are and what is going to be useful against them. I have 3.5K of Grey Knights to go up against them. Ideas welcome ladies and gentlemen!

Veteran-Sergeant

I dont play orks, but I think they are a very good opponent. They have numbers on you and so could easily tie up your units.

Chaplain

Since I just played my first Orc army at 'Ard Boys (my only loss) I can tell you what I think are the dangers.

They are a horde army. You will be bogged down by attacks if you let them into CC with you. You might have the better attacks but they have have weight of numbers. Almost nothing they have will negate your armor but even if you bring Terminators and Paladins, all it takes is a few ones to ruin your day. That said, Purifiers are your anti-horde experts. If you get cleansing flames off you will get an attack on everyone you have in CC with before they can even attack!

Shoota Boyz are annoying! They can have up to 3 shots each and they are strength 7! Pure weight of fire here. If you can, outflank or DS near them and then shot and/or assault them! And Battle Wagons need to die quick. That tank shock is very annoying and bad rolls can ruin you.

In short, you need to maximize your purifiers for anti-horde protection and take out shoota boys asap.

That's my opinion but I have only had one game against orcs with my grey knights.

Quote Originally Posted by celestialatc View Post
    Since I just played my first Orc army at 'Ard Boys (my only loss) I can tell you what I think are the dangers.

They are a horde army. You will be bogged down by attacks if you let them into CC with you. You might have the better attacks but they have have weight of numbers. Almost nothing they have will negate your armor but even if you bring Terminators and Paladins, all it takes is a few ones to ruin your day. That said, Purifiers are your anti-horde experts. If you get cleansing flames off you will get an attack on everyone you have in CC with before they can even attack!

Shoota Boyz are annoying! They can have up to 3 shots each and they are strength 7! Pure weight of fire here. If you can, outflank or DS near them and then shot and/or assault them! And Battle Wagons need to die quick. That tank shock is very annoying and bad rolls can ruin you.

In short, you need to maximize your purifiers for anti-horde protection and take out shoota boys asap.

That's my opinion but I have only had one game against orcs with my grey knights.
    That's a good heads up, cheers. May think about using my Interceptors as Purifiers for this game

Chapter-Master

Terminators, paladins and purifiers, properly backed up, will wade through orks. Get some grenades to back them up, and the only thing you have to worry about is battle wagons.

That's if you want to tailor your list a bit, that is. GKSS just don't have the attacks, and Interceptors' mobility isn't needed since the orks will come to you.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

See if he is taking Ghaz Thraka (HQ warboss character) He gives the whole army (that has the Waagh! rule) an automatic 6 for their fleet run rolls, giving a sure-fire 18" assault range on his units. he also gets 7 attacks on the charge and has a Str 10 power klaw( same as a power fist) becarefull for the hidden power klaws on nobs in Boyz mobz. if you have a vindicare assassin, have him start poping those guys asap, also the "Shoota boyz mentioned above are called Loota's they have an autocannon that gets D3 shots, potentially 45 shots for a full unit (15 guys) Due to their mob rule if any unit is above 11 (in size)their fearless and will remain so until at 10 or below. don't let his huge amount of dice rolls affect you for shooting he needs 5's to hit you across the board, and your the same weapon skill as him, so 4's in combat. Power klaws will be the only thing in his army that should ignore your armor save.

Chapter-Master

And make sure to take 10-man units, because you will probably see combat and 5 men will just get swept away, even Terminators or Paladins. 10 men, though, let you steal the charge and swing the combat in your favor significantly. You should kill half the unit in the first combat phase, then wipe them in the second. Combat resolution is your friend.

And always steal the charge if you can. In fact, with GKs it's better to not shoot and just assault and kill a bunch of guys if shooting would cost you the charge, even if your unit will get killed. It's better to bring a ton of orks with you before you die than to shoot 5-6 then get killed anyways.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 08-16-2011 at 05:21 AM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Sergeant

Also ,use GKSS, in order to create killing fields for his boyz. If you playing lots of purifiers,give them as many Halberts as you can. A! ALSO DON'T FORGET TO USE INCINERATORS ! Also some Orbital support would be ideal, since even when you scatter, you have good chances of hitting sth in a horde army.

Chapter-Master

Why take Halberds (and it's Halberds, btw, not Halberts)? I6 or I4, it doesn't matter, you hit before orks anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Why take Halberds (and it's Halberds, btw, not Halberts)? I6 or I4, it doesn't matter, you hit before orks anyways.
    Ho HO! Now THAT'S a GREAT SHOUT! I was about to finalise my list with Halberds, but I can see that would be rather pointless! Thanks Darklink, I need to amend my list!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast