BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cover saves & Ork KFF

I'm sure this has been argued before but I can't find a real good answer anywhere.

If a unit of 30 boys is next to a BigMek with a kff does the majority of the unit have to be within 6" to get the cover save or does the entire unit get cover if a single boy is within 6"?

Thanks

The only requirement is that the unit be within 6". There is nothing saying that the majority of the models in the unit must be within this range. So, a single model from the unit being within range is sufficient.

Brother-Sergeant

Single model.

Just like when taking an objective, only 1 model of the unit has to be within 3" not a majority of the unit.

It's how the rulebook uses "within"..it will be specific if the rule requires a majority of a unit (re: cover rule) or the entire unit (re: los) or just any part of a unit (re: objectives)
    Please visit my 40k Youtube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Da40kOrks

Chaplain

Its rule does say all units within 6" get a cover save, so I would say like the others if even one model is within 6" then you get a cover save.

Though, by the rule book you need majority of the unit in cover to get a cover save. So would the entire unit need to be within 6" to get a cover save?

I would say any unit within 6" would get a cover save, but as per the rulebook majority of that unit must be within 6" of the big mek or you could really cheat badly the way others have suggested if its one model. Example being you have a straight line of 30 boyz 2" apart spanning the table, one of these is within 6" of the big mek, would they get a cover save because just one model is within 6" but the others span the length of the table? No, they wouldn't. As per the rule book, majority of the unit needs to be in cover the kff provides the cover
    www.imperiusdominatus.com - warhammer 40,000 tactica and hobby blog

Quote Originally Posted by mercer View Post
    Its rule does say all units within 6" get a cover save, so I would say like the others if even one model is within 6" then you get a cover save.

Though, by the rule book you need majority of the unit in cover to get a cover save. So would the entire unit need to be within 6" to get a cover save?

I would say any unit within 6" would get a cover save, but as per the rulebook majority of that unit must be within 6" of the big mek or you could really cheat badly the way others have suggested if its one model. Example being you have a straight line of 30 boyz 2" apart spanning the table, one of these is within 6" of the big mek, would they get a cover save because just one model is within 6" but the others span the length of the table? No, they wouldn't. As per the rule book, majority of the unit needs to be in cover the kff provides the cover
    Incorrect. No matter how dumb it seems, any unit with a model within 6" of the Big Mek gets the cover save. The KFF doesn't provide cover within 6" of itself, which is what your interpretation (though that may be incorrect, as there isn't any need to interpret the rule - maybe "desired effect' is more accurate) requires to be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwolf View Post
    Incorrect. No matter how dumb it seems, any unit with a model within 6" of the Big Mek gets the cover save. The KFF doesn't provide cover within 6" of itself, which is what your interpretation (though that may be incorrect, as there isn't any need to interpret the rule - maybe "desired effect' is more accurate) requires to be correct.
    That is probably the best aurgument I have read so far "that is does not provide cover within 6" of itself". There has been a lot of back and forth on this at the local game store. Around here people fighting orks tend to take mercer's stance.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Jwolf View Post
    Then thats just utter bull**** JWolf and goes against the core rules.

If thats the case you can get your mob of 30 boyz deploy them 2" apart so lets say for arguement sake you have a line of 90" boyz (2" cohency and 1" model base) and your telling me that the boy 90" + away from the big mek gets a cover save because the kff is within 6" - I doubt it.

The rule book says units get a cover save if majority of the unit is in cover, the ork codex says any unit within 6" gets a cover save - common sense says that majority of the unit must be within 6" to benefit from that cover, or else you could do what I said above and get a cover save several times and get cover for most of your army.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mercer View Post
    Then thats just utter bull**** JWolf and goes against the core rules.

If thats the case you can get your mob of 30 boyz deploy them 2" apart so lets say for arguement sake you have a line of 90" boyz (2" cohency and 1" model base) and your telling me that the boy 90" + away from the big mek gets a cover save because the kff is within 6" - I doubt it.

The rule book says units get a cover save if majority of the unit is in cover, the ork codex says any unit within 6" gets a cover save - common sense says that majority of the unit must be within 6" to benefit from that cover, or else you could do what I said above and get a cover save several times and get cover for most of your army.
    That might be common seance but unfortunately they are talking about what the rule says not what it should say. Judging by what has been written in this topic it seems like the save goes to any unit with any models within the KFF.

Chaplain

I'm not saying what it should say, I'm saying that it gives a cover save which would still follow the basic rules in the rule book. If thats not the case then a unit orks can be stretched across the table spanning 90" + and all get a cover save.

Librarian

its only the same as the Lord Commissar's Aura of disciple, it makes any unit within 6" stubborn, theres no use in that only affecting the few models ina 6" range, it obviously affects the whole squad even if only a single model is within 6"

the rulebook clearly states what it means by within x"
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast