BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Strakhov: Necessity is the Mother of Invention

That's right, necessity is the mother of invention. I was reminded of the old axiom when I screwed up painting this miniature! I'm sure I'm not alone...but I find that eyes are a challenge to paint(especially on a certain squinty-eyed Khadoran warcaster). The point of no return on a mini is about my fourth attempt to fix an eye...because after painting over the eye sockets 2-3 times you've built up enough paint that you've got a "bump" there and it won't look right...which means stripping the whole mini of paint and starting over. Well that happened with Strakhov, but I didn't want to start over as, unlike usual, I'd already painted about 1/2 the mini before getting to his face. So I modded him mid-stream...suddenly that left eye got a "green stuff" patch and the scar was lined more vertically to match an eye wound. In the end...I like it!

The other change I made to Viktor Strakhov(besides the eye patch) was to give him dirty blonde hair(as opposed to gray)...I just envisioned him a little younger in appearance than he is usually depicted.
    His paint scheme was a dark "black ops" version...he was meant to match my Khador Kommandos(he also got the "ruined trench" basing treatment). In fact, here is with his comrades...

Thanks for viewing...Happy Wargaming everybody!
    ~Gareson

Chapter-Master

very nice i ran into that eye problem a lot too if it gets horrible a get a scalpel and slice the paint off VERY thinly, not the best soloution but it works!.

very nice painting!

-fuzz
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Chaplain

Good save. I like the model. More character with an eyepatch.

Eyepatch- confers +1 ARM and -1 health box!!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Thornblood View Post
    Good save. I like the model. More character with an eyepatch.

Eyepatch- confers +1 ARM and -1 health box!!
    Nah, +1 CMD, -1 RAT. Who needs depth perception when you have intimidation?

Very nice save. I can't stand doing eyes, but I'll usually just do them and stick with what I had... cause I'll probably botch it more if I keep trying to salvage them. Nice work around.

Fantastic Strakhov, makes me want to dig up my old list and give it a go.

DM

Epic Strakhov ;-) His feat should be called Blind Side just in honor of this awesomeness.

Looks awesome love the patch and color scheme.

I hate doing eye's more then anything.